Debit Card recommendation

edtorious

I'm looking for a recommendation for a good bank or credit unions that won't charge me a lot of fees in using my debit card to withdraw cash at ATMs in Europe.

What are the things I should look for? This is my first time going to Europe and I would like to use my debit card to withdraw cash at the ATMs there. I wonder if there are any debit cards that has chip and pin? It would be nice if they do, so I would be able to use the debit card for purchases as well instead of a credit card.

This is our first time on a cruise as well. Are there any ATM machines in the Celebrity cruise ships? Are there any banks in there too?

Please advise. Any help or suggestions will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Ed

Edited by edtorious

Not sure about what's available in your area, but most Credit Unions will have more favorable rates than will banks.

We have a USAA checking account and with their debit card (and chip/pin credit card) we'll get off pretty cheap. Their ATM xaction fee is $0 for the first 15 per month and their credit card fee is 1%. We also have a Delta AmEx which has a 0% foreign transaction fee, IF i can find someone in Europe to take it!

Here's a good link to look at to get a feel for things....not sure how old it is tho...

http://www.nerdwallet.com/blog/banking/debit-card-foreign-transaction-international-atm-fees/

Not sure about what's available in your area, but most Credit Unions will have more favorable rates than will banks.

We have a USAA checking account and with their debit card (and chip/pin credit card) we'll get off pretty cheap. Their ATM xaction fee is $0 for the first 15 per month and their credit card fee is 1%. We also have a Delta AmEx which has a 0% foreign transaction fee, IF i can find someone in Europe to take it!

Here's a good link to look at to get a feel for things....not sure how old it is tho...

http://www.nerdwallet.com/blog/banking/debit-card-foreign-transaction-international-atm-fees/

Thanks Carole! It looks like Capitol 360 and USAA is the best one so far. Capitol 360 told me that they can waive the 1% of ATM withdrawal fee. So I might give the Capitol 360 a try, I've never tried online banking only before.

How much does ATM fees in Europe usually charge? I want to put this in consideration in making my pick for the best debit card.

How much does ATM fees in Europe usually charge? I want to put this in consideration in making my pick for the best debit card.

ATMs in most of Europe aren't allowed to charge fees. Only your home bank will charge you a fee.

I must be a very lucky person. I've used my AMEX card many, many times over in Europe (Spain, Germany, France, Italy. Great Britain, Austria, Czech Republic, Switzerland, Netherlands, Belgium). It's my primary card. I do have a VISA card from my credit union that I carry just in case I go someplace that my AMEX isn't taken. Both have $0 transaction fees and my CU doesn't charge for ATM usage.

Another thing: Not calling you out specifically, but for general info: Just because your card has a chip on it and you have a PIN to use at an ATM, that does not mean it is "chip & PIN." It may still require a signature for all other transitions (a "chip & sig" card). This is what probably 95% of the cards issued in the US with chips are...

Edited by slidergirl

Bank of America has agreements in place with a number if large European banks where service fees won't be charged.

But they still charge Foreign Transaction Fees of about 3%.

I must be a very lucky person. I've used my AMEX card many, many times over in Europe (Spain, Germany, France, Italy. Great Britain, Austria, Czech Republic, Switzerland, Netherlands, Belgium). It's my primary card. I do have a VISA card from my credit union that I carry just in case I go someplace that my AMEX isn't taken. Both have $0 transaction fees and my CU doesn't charge for ATM usage.

Another thing: Not calling you out specifically, but for general info: Just because your card has a chip on it and you have a PIN to use at an ATM, that does not mean it is "chip & PIN." It may still require a signature for all other transitions (a "chip & sig" card). This is what probably 95% of the cards issued in the US with chips are...

We also use USAA and they do have chip and pin cards. I called specifically to get one for our trip and there is no charge to have standard card converted to chip and pin. USAA is a large institution dealing with the military, many of which are stationed abroad, so it's no surprise they would be among the first to make this technology available to their customers. :)

Chip and pin cards are very handy in Europe to buy transportation tickets at unmanned booths. It is my understanding that you won't be able to use your cards in ticket machines unless they are chip and pin.

Edited by Stratheden

We also use USAA and they do have chip and pin cards. I called specifically to get one for our trip and there is no charge to have standard card converted to chip and pin. USAA is a large institution dealing with the military, many of which are stationed abroad, so it's no surprise they would be among the first to make this technology available to their customers. :)

I called specifically as well. they sent out my card post haste! I also work for State Employee's Credit Union (it's actually on the list!!). We are now offering the true chip&pin.

I called specifically as well. they sent out my card post haste! I also work for State Employee's Credit Union (it's actually on the list!!). We are now offering the true chip&pin.

It seems that some of the Government CUs are doing true Chip&PIN cards. Several have been mentioned on other threads in the Italy port forum: PenFed, AndrewsFCU… USAA would fall into the "Government" category.

I'm patiently waiting for 2015 to come when C&P is supposed to become the standard in the US….

Yes, they are a wonderful company to deal with! We've been with them for about 35 years and before that I was on my parents' USAA account. One stop shopping for everything. They also have great travel insurance!