what happens when the cruise ship leaves a person behind in port?

AskMeHow

Just to clarify you can leave your children on the ship whilst you go a shore but you have to check them in to Kids Club. If you are away all day the youth workers will take them to lunch with the parents permission.

As far as knowing if the children have been left on board security would know whether the missing passengers were travelling with children and if those children had swiped off the ship. A phone call to the Kids Club would then confirm if they had signed in.

As far as medical treatment goes when you register for the Kids Club you sign giving your permission for any medical treatment in your absence.

Yes - but only from 8-5 on port days unless you're on a Princess excursion. For example, if you're on a SPB 12 tour in Russia and you leave at 6am and return at 6pm, you cannot leave your child in the kid's club. However, if you're on a similar Princess excursion, you can.

Ship security will go to the person's cabin, open their safe, and remove any immigration documentation (i.e. passport). This is delivered to the port agent on the pier.

The port agent will attempt to meet up with the passenger on the pier, but if they are delayed, it is up to the passenger to contact the port agent at the number on the first page of the Patter.

The port agent will assist in arranging the passenger's onward travel, and any costs associated with this are charged to the passenger's on board account.

There is also at least one immigration form that the ship's Administration officer must complete and hand over to the port agent to allow the person to officially enter the country (if applicable).

Exactly what happens and why people should always take the contact information for the Port Agent with them.

LuLu

Once in port, how long is it before one needs to be back on the ship BEFORE it leaves that port?

The back aboard time is posted in the Princess Patter. It states that "the ship leaves shortly thereafter" or words to that effect. The true departure time varies quite a bit, so you'd better go by the Patter Time.

Steve

If a minor child is aboard, and a parent is ashore and does not contact the ship and it is or is about to leave, I wonder if that is a passenger that Princess would care to have in future.

If a person is left ashore for medical reasons, they will inventory the cabin, most thoroughly, and deliver the contents to the passenger.

Edited by Wehwalt

Last week we were on the Grand Princess in Skagway. After the fourth & final announcement requesting a passenger to call passenger services, the ship left port…and that person behind. So is that person responsible for getting to the next port (our case, Victoria BC--or even flying back to Seattle? I've been wondering about this.

Yes you'd be responsible, but as long as the passengers has their photo ID they can fly from Skagway, AK to Seattle without a passport because you don't need to go thru customs and immigration in Seattle. The Skagway port agent would contact the ship and help the passenger secure one-way tickets to Seattle (probably at a very high last minute airfare), arrange any hotel accommodations, re-board the ship in Seattle, collect their belongings and fly home. Not only is this a major hassle, you'd miss the rest of your cruise WITHOUT any refund for missed cruise days. Flying to Victoria would be possible but you'd need to secure your passport to fly to Canada from Skagway. Probably not worth the extra hassle & cost. Travel insurance might might cover this cost if you can prove that it wasn't your fault (like major accident preventing you from getting to the ship or something beyond your control like weather, road closure due to land slid, etc) - maybe covered under trip interruption clause if you can prove it.

Now, there was a situation on a Celebrity cruise a while ago where passenger were delayed on an organized ship's tours and the ship left without them due to extraordinary circumstances (very rare). In this case the cruise line covered the costs and travel arrangement to catch up to the ship.

And of course the (previously mentioned) PVSA violation fine. The person has missed his foreign port (Victoria) and been transported by a foreign vessel from one US port to another. That should add up to a fine to the passenger.

Terry

If a minor child is aboard, and a parent is ashore and does not contact the ship and it is or is about to leave, I wonder if that is a passenger that Princess would care to have in future.

If a person is left ashore for medical reasons, they will inventory the cabin, most thoroughly, and deliver the contents to the passenger.

On port days, parents (even if not on a Princess excursion) who disembark should always inform the counselors at the kid's club. On my Royal cruise, the counselors always asked if I was leaving (sometimes I stayed on board) or staying. Personally, I opted to take the Princess excursions because the kid's club accommodated my child and I knew the boat wouldn't leave without me. A couple of times I took the Princess shuttle into town (Helsinki, etc.) and always told the club where I was going. Although some of the private tours looked tempting, I had to consider my situation with my kid.

Now, there was a situation on a Celebrity cruise a while ago where passenger were delayed on an organized ship's tours and the ship left without them due to extraordinary circumstances (very rare). In this case the cruise line covered the costs and travel arrangement to catch up to the ship.

This happened last year or the year before with Golden Princess in Skagway. A ship's tour was delayed coming back from Haines by severe weather (the ferry couldn't leave Haines) and the ship had to sail without them. Princess put the stranded passengers up for the night and got them to the ship the next day and covered all the associated costs...

I'd read a tale on the family board of parents that missed the ship with their children still on board. The cruise line (I forget which; not Princess) kept the kids on board, the parents joined the ship at the next port, and were billed for the (considerable) cost of 24 hour childcare. But as mentioned before, a lot is going to depend on destination and age/s of the child/ren.

This happened last year or the year before with Golden Princess in Skagway. A ship's tour was delayed coming back from Haines by severe weather (the ferry couldn't leave Haines) and the ship had to sail without them. Princess put the stranded passengers up for the night and got them to the ship the next day and covered all the associated costs...

And if any of them had left their children with the kids clubs????

They can request (and usually get) a waiver for the fine, especially if the delay in returning was unforeseeable.

And of course the (previously mentioned) PVSA violation fine. The person has missed his foreign port (Victoria) and been transported by a foreign vessel from one US port to another. That should add up to a fine to the passenger.

Terry

Once in port, how long is it before one needs to be back on the ship BEFORE it leaves that port? Ex. a good idea would be 1 hour before it leaves or 30 minutes?

The usual schedule is passengers must be back on board 30 minutes before scheduled departure.

Common sense says to aim for even earlier in case there is an unexpected delay on whatever you are doing.

Edited by caribill

Just to clarify you can leave your children on the ship whilst you go a shore but you have to check them in to Kids Club.

Surely there is an age requirement in this. A 16 or 17 year old is eligible for the kids club, but should not be forced to be in it if the parents go ashore.

The usual schedule is passengers must be back on board 30 minutes before scheduled departure.

Common sense says to aim for even earlier in case there is an unexpected delay on whatever you are doing.

PSD starts getting lists of passenger names still off the ship at least 15 minutes prior to the on board time (why, I'm not sure). I do know that it was jokingly conveyed to us last winter that, over time, it was noted that we were seldom early, but never late. :p

Once in Ensenada where I came back from a Princess Winery tour (alone, my wife remained on the ship), I lingered in the shopping area next to the ship, and boarded ~10 minutes before the official deadline (30 secunds walk from the shop to the gangway).

When I came to my Stateroom, my wife told me that passenger service/security had called several times to ask if she knew of my whereabouts.

This told me that Princess clearly is pro-active in being on top of unaccounted paxes. However, it never had happen before where I have cut it close when in an ejoyable area next to the ship (but then my wife usually would be with me and noone in the stateroom), but it may have had something to do with me having been on a Princess excursion or some computer noticing I was checked off without my wife? (however, me being a big wine drinker, and my wife not drinking at all, winery tours are the only time we part ways on our cruise!!:D)

I'd read a tale on the family board of parents that missed the ship with their children still on board. The cruise line (I forget which; not Princess) kept the kids on board, the parents joined the ship at the next port, and were billed for the (considerable) cost of 24 hour childcare. But as mentioned before, a lot is going to depend on destination and age/s of the child/ren.

I don't doubt that if the parents were NOT on a Princess excursion. If on a Princess excursion (Princess assured me they would not leave without any of the tours), no childcare costs should be incurred.

And if any of them had left their children with the kids clubs????

The children would be taken care of...

I don't doubt that if the parents were NOT on a Princess excursion. If on a Princess excursion (Princess assured me they would not leave without any of the tours), no childcare costs should be incurred.

That's not entirely true. They will certainly make every effort to wait for late Princess excursions but sometimes the ship HAS to sail (tidal conditions, severe weather, etc.). In that case, those passengers will be given accommodations and transported to the ship's next port of call if possible.

Edited by RickEk

That's not entirely true. They will certainly make every effort to wait for late Princess excursions but sometimes the ship HAS to sail (tidal conditions, severe weather, etc.). In that case, those passengers will be taken care of...

Every Princess rep on the boat assured me they would not leave without their Princess excursions. That being said - I can see in an unforeseen situation that something could happen and the boat might leave. If that was the case, Princess would take care of my daughter and NOT charge me for it.

Every Princess rep on the boat assured me they would not leave without their Princess excursions. That being said - I can see in an unforeseen situation that something could happen and the boat might leave. If that was the case, Princess would take care of my daughter and NOT charge me for it.

Absolutely!!

There was a case in Skagway late in the season two years ago where the passengers on excursion to Haines could not make it back to the ship due to a storm (the Haines/Skagway ferry could not run). The ship had to leave and Princess flew the passengers to meet the ship in Juneau the next day.

There was a case in Skagway late in the season two years ago where the passengers on excursion to Haines could not make it back to the ship due to a storm (the Haines/Skagway ferry could not run). The ship had to leave and Princess flew the passengers to meet the ship in Juneau the next day.

See post #33.

Mike:)

With respect to the general idea of leaving minors on board while parents go ashore, I can only speak of Disney in 2000. We went ashore and left my daughter in their kids club. We were also given walkie talkies in case of emergencies, but I'm sure the range was limited.

I have seen pax running to get to the ship, but the gang way was up and the ship pulled away. Many of us waved good-bye to them. I didn't hear what happened to them.

When cruising with my mom and daughter when she was 17, Mom and I were tired so we went back to the ship and had lunch, and left my daughter and her friend ashore in Ketchikan. I was anxious the last hour before the ship was to sail-away. My DD was in the last group to board the ship.

Yes you'd be responsible, but as long as the passengers has their photo ID they can fly from Skagway, AK to Seattle without a passport because you don't need to go thru customs and immigration in Seattle. The Skagway port agent would contact the ship and help the passenger secure one-way tickets to Seattle (probably at a very high last minute airfare), arrange any hotel accommodations, re-board the ship in Seattle, collect their belongings and fly home. Not only is this a major hassle, you'd miss the rest of your cruise WITHOUT any refund for missed cruise days. Flying to Victoria would be possible but you'd need to secure your passport to fly to Canada from Skagway. Probably not worth the extra hassle & cost. Travel insurance might might cover this cost if you can prove that it wasn't your fault (like major accident preventing you from getting to the ship or something beyond your control like weather, road closure due to land slid, etc) - maybe covered under trip interruption clause if you can prove it.

thank you for your answer. I am always back on board a least an hr before sail away.