Packing Techniques

Baldercash, those sound like great "city" rain pants - could you share the item name and/or number and brand and/or store? Thanks!

Those sound like some sort of ski/snowboarding pant.

Could simply Scotch Guard a pair of pants.

I use a combination of the rolling method (clothes wrinkle less with this method) and packing cubes (which I get for a great price at TJ Maxx...I have several of them). I am not one to do laundry while on vacation. It's just not gonna happen...I'm on vacation!;) I also have given thought to taking just a 22" carry-on but have finally decided that it's just not for me. The bundling method isn't to my taste either. I do well making a list and putting outfits together for each day depending on what I'm doing each day. I sometimes do wear something twice such as I'll wear a tunic cover-up over a pair of capri pants to dinner and then wear it as a cover-up another day. I'm not much for re-wearing clothes. The DH and I like to go dancing after dinner (we usually do the late seating) and so re-wearing those clothes without washing them would be out of the question. I've pretty much got my packing down to a science considering I've traveled all over the world on all modes of transportation. I rarely take clothes that I don't wear. My packing gear consists of a large rolling suitcase that gets checked and a large tote bag. I have no problem moving around in cities in Europe with these items. I'm not a big mix and match kinda gal. If for some reason however, I had to do it in just a 22" carry-on...I could do it...I just don't want to.:D

that is an understatement !!! ;)

My DW selects the clothes, shoes, etc., and packs the suitcases! I help fold items for her; she does the final pack. Half of each of our clothes in each to the two suitcases (just in case one suitcase gets lost). My other part of the packing task is to use a digital scale to make sure everything - suitcases, carry-ons - will weigh below the maximum permitted. The scale also travels with us in one of the suitcases, to make sure an item doesn't go overweight when packing for the return flight(s).

We also put a tag with the follow-on destination on the underside out our luggage I.D. tag. Inside each piece of checked luggage is a paper with our home address (a P.O. Box), contact cell phone number(s), and travel agent contact information. That information was key to getting lost luggage returned, although it was a month after the cruise was over!

We know we have to layer and have bought new fashionable looking light weight all weather jackets with detachable hoods plus rain pants that don't look like rain pants so we can wear them on cool days as well as rainy ones.

Those sound like some sort of ski/snowboarding pant.

Could simply Scotch Guard a pair of pants.

Thanks SadieN :)

We're going to Patagonia this coming winter (their summer) and I was hoping for a city-street appropriate set of pants that were designed for rain (ski/snowboard usually seem to bring more warmth than I was seeking). A quick internet search didn't turn up anything that matched what I was hoping for - was hoping that Baldercash had better luck :)

Waterproofing with Scotch Guard or Repell Well may be next on my list, although both do wash out eventually...

I do have a great pair of traditional (read, plastic-y looking and a bit noisy) rain pants that I got for cycling and also wear hiking & sometimes for outdoor chores, which could work if I don't go the waterproofing route.

Just like anything else, there is no BEST way to pack. Everyone needs to find what works for them.:)

After hearing so much about rolling, I tried an experiment. I packed the way I usually pack, dry cleaner bags and flat, then on the way home I rolled. Maybe I did it wrong, but I did not like what condidtion my clothes were in after rolling. So, I'll continue packing my way.;):D

We're going to Patagonia this coming winter (their summer) and I was hoping for a city-street appropriate set of pants that were designed for rain (ski/snowboard usually seem to bring more warmth than I was seeking). A quick internet search didn't turn up anything that matched what I was hoping for - was hoping that Baldercash had better luck :)

Waterproofing with Scotch Guard or Repell Well may be next on my list, although both do wash out eventually...

I do have a great pair of traditional (read, plastic-y looking and a bit noisy) rain pants that I got for cycling and also wear hiking & sometimes for outdoor chores, which could work if I don't go the waterproofing route.

When we went to Alaska some years ago, I got some lightweight waterproof pants from LL Bean and wore thermal undies under them on the cold, rainy days. They were perfect, and I could wear them without the undies on a warmer day. I can't recall the style, but you could try perusing their website to see if then have anything that suits you.:)

We're going to Patagonia this coming winter (their summer) and I was hoping for a city-street appropriate set of pants that were designed for rain snip....

Which particular cities are you going to? We were in Punta Arenas, Ushuaia and there are lots of stores there with the appropriate clothing for the area. Everyone is into outdoor activities in all weathers there

Sandy in Spain

I have packing cubes for everything that I'll need pre cruise through embarkation. Those go on top. I put shoes in the bottom layer toward the bottom of the suitcase. Then I roll as much as I can and fill out the bottom layer. Anything that needs to be folded goes on top of that. If I'm not bringing the garment bag, dresses in dry cleaner bags go on top. Other stuff like door decorations, snorkel stuff and toiletries gets tucked into crevices. I love packing. It's like a game of Tetris!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is what I do as well. I don't have packing cubes, so instead I use ziploc bags. I try to keep my precruise clothes separate so that I'm not having to repack everything before boarding the ship.

I tried the bundle method once and hated it as I found I was having to tear apart the entire suitcase to pull out one item.

As far as deciding what to pack, for longer trips I use a spreadsheet. Each column is a different day and at the top I list what port I'm visiting, what excursions I have planned and whether it's a formal night. Below I list the clothing or items I will need for that day. I know some people may find it overkill but it keeps me organized and ensures that: a) I don't overpack; and b) that I am taking with everything I do need. I often wear the same clothes a few times (especially the dressier clothes that are only worn a few hours in the evening).

The key is to find what works for you.

First of all, I plan out what I will wear, and plan on sending at least some laundry out or handwashing a few items. No top gets packed if it doesn't match all the bottoms, and vice versa. No need to pack two entire sets of clothing for each day. Two pair of pants can do every dinner for a week, and either wear a shirt to dinner and then again the next day, or wear the same shirt several times to dinner with different accessories. Nobody will notice or care.

People say they don't want to spend their vacation time hand washing, but to hand wash some underwear or lightweight knits takes no more time than washing your bathing suit each time you wear it, which I truly hope people do.

You can see my packing list for Europe a couple years by following the link in my signature. To be honest, I packed too much.

I then overpacked again for my recent Tahiti trip. I wore everything, but could have left 30% at home and still had everything I needed plus some--and that was after I had pants and shorts go missing in the ships laundry.

I'm taking a land based trip to London for two weeks next March. I am planning on taking the following:

Wear on plane: Riding boots, jeans, L/S silk knit top, black hooded sweater.

In suitcase:

1 pair jeans

1 pair black casual slacks/chinos

1 pair dressier slacks

1 black 3pc sweater dress

7 tops--combo of silk knit, merino wool, cashmere, and cotton.

Undergarments/socks (4 sets)

Ballet flats

Black pumps

Silk PJ's & robe/slippers (We are renting a flat so won't have robes/slippers in room, silk takes zero space)

Assorted scarves and jewelry

This will all fit into my 20" bag with no room to spare. I would pack similarly for Alaska, although instead of the riding boots I would probably bring along either muck boots or hikers.

Carry on coat with ear muffs, scarf, and gloves in pockets.

Things will be washed as needed.

I roll my clothing and then tuck things like panties into the tiny cracks leftover. I figure I'm going to unpack it all once I get to my cruise anyhow. If I've got a night or two pre-cruise, I make sure to roll those items separately so I only need to take out that bundle.

Edited by ducklite

This is what I do as well. I don't have packing cubes, so instead I use ziploc bags. I try to keep my precruise clothes separate so that I'm not having to repack everything before boarding the ship.

I tried the bundle method once and hated it as I found I was having to tear apart the entire suitcase to pull out one item.

As far as deciding what to pack, for longer trips I use a spreadsheet. Each column is a different day and at the top I list what port I'm visiting, what excursions I have planned and whether it's a formal night. Below I list the clothing or items I will need for that day. I know some people may find it overkill but it keeps me organized and ensures that: a) I don't overpack; and b) that I am taking with everything I do need. I often wear the same clothes a few times (especially the dressier clothes that are only worn a few hours in the evening).

The key is to find what works for you.

I do a day by day list followed by lists of shoes, pjs, undergarments, accessories, etc. I don't have to wear the outfits on the days listed, but it helps keep me organized.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

spent some more time searching online, so far the closest to a 'city' (non-plastic-y) rain pant is at Eddie Bauer, "Mountain Lite Guide Pants" Regular Item #: i89 792 0169 for women.

Turns out they're waterproof thanks to an added coating, which is exactly what SadieN suggested!

Don't worry, one way or the other I will stay dry - and not overpack :)

• 1 month later...

I used to create a three column spreadsheet. I think I'll go back to this for my next trip as it can be too tempting to throw in a few extras.

First column was the base, e.g. Black pants, grey skirts, jeans, black dress, etc

The third column was the tops I wanted to take. I'd then match these up with what they could be worn with. Some went with multiple items, These were now all moved into the second column. Some were eliminated.

The third column was now empty and I guessed which day or evening I'd be wearing it. That's when I found I had more outfits than occasions to wear them. More elimination.

The bottom of the sheets had misc notes.

I'd print the sheet and pull it out and not have to think about my items for the whole trip. It just makes a trip more simple.

I travel with just carry on.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I used to create a three column spreadsheet. I think I'll go back to this for my next trip as it can be too tempting to throw in a few extras.

First column was the base, e.g. Black pants, grey skirts, jeans, black dress, etc

The third column was the tops I wanted to take. I'd then match these up with what they could be worn with. Some went with multiple items, These were now all moved into the second column. Some were eliminated.

The third column was now empty and I guessed which day or evening I'd be wearing it. That's when I found I had more outfits than occasions to wear them. More elimination.

The bottom of the sheets had misc notes.

I'd print the sheet and pull it out and not have to think about my items for the whole trip. It just makes a trip more simple.

I travel with just carry on.

I used to do the spreadsheet thing but I've been putting my day to day cruise schedule in my google calendar. I'm trying something new this time.

As I tentatively plan my day I've also been putting what I plan on wearing for the day on it as well. The wardrobe items will change 942 times ;) from now til then but this will help me plan what I will actually wear vs what I normally pack which is always too much!

This is how it's starting to look!

ImageUploadedByForums1406850064.591713.jpg.530f8e81d34538998d16357bdb4a350a.jpg

LOL at your 942 changes. That's my mental process too.

I usually start a secret packing pile right about now so my DH doesn't think I'm nuts and then add to and take from until the cruise. I'm trying the mental / written packing technique this time. ;) It seems to be working ok! LOL

Edited by vacation_junkie

It's the camera, and charger, and Kindle and charger, cell phone and charger, Ipod nano and charger, sunscreen, make up, face wash moisturizer, hair products, brushes, flat iron, jewelry, walking pharmacy, etc. That is the part that kills me, takes up so much room and weighs a ton. I transfer everything to small containers, etc. but it's still astounding how much "other" there is!

It's the camera, and charger, and Kindle and charger, cell phone and charger, Ipod nano and charger, sunscreen, make up, face wash moisturizer, hair products, brushes, flat iron, jewelry, walking pharmacy, etc. That is the part that kills me, takes up so much room and weighs a ton. I transfer everything to small containers, etc. but it's still astounding how much "other" there is!

Figure out what more can be condensed. I know:confused:;):p it's hard.

Many electronics can be charged thru a USB plug and cords. Kindle uses a micro USB and the iPod uses it's own cord, both of these can use the same USB plug. What does your phone use? Not many these days use their own propriety cord. IPhone and IPod can use the same cord. But there are adapters that are 30pin to Lightning. There are even Micro USB to Apple (and the reverse) available. (Make sure your plug is a 2.1, the Apple will do fine.)

Reduce or rethink your beauty routine. Maybe your smaller containers are still too big? Do you come back a lot left over in your containers?

-Contact lens cases are great for a small amount of gel-stuff. ie One eye holds hair gel, the other hair cement.

=Eye drop bottles are good for hair oils and small amounts of shampoo. I use a 10ml one for Argan oil and a 15ml one for a brightening shampoo.

-I've been able to buy 1oz containers at REI for about a $1. SOmetimes these are too big for our needs.

-Do a test at home. See how many uses you can get out of a certain size container. I know that one 'eye' in the lens case will hold 10days of gel. The 10ml eyedrop bottle will be 42 applications of Argan Oil. (Still too much but the 5ml are hard for me to use.)

I agree. This works only if you go to one hotel or ship and unpack everything at once.

I use a mixed rolling and flat method and will try packing cubes next time to keep items for different parts of the trip separate and clean.

Everything must be mix and match. I wash undies and t-shirts in the sink and bring plastic hangers. I use washers and driers or laundry packages when available.

On 5 - 6 week trips with several flights, train and bus rides and cruises, we take one suitcase each and a small board case or backpack. Just two pieces of luggage for each person. Our next trip is 15 days and we will have one suitcase for two people. (city hotel, ship, jungle lodge)

All toiletries are travel size, some of them refilled in small travel bottles from the drug store.

So, this may be a strange question.....

What do you find is the most efficient way to pack items in a suitcase? Typically, I just fold things into two piles, cram the smaller things where the gaps are, and voila! This also is when I leave locally and have (basically) no restriction on luggage. I take enough clothes for "what if" plus a daily change of clothes, some pants for crazy flaky weather, etc. I can admit I do overpack.

Now, my family and I will be flying for our upcoming vacation - and I am SUPER nervous about getting everything in the bags! We have 7 of us all together, me, hubby, and 5 kids. I am looking to take 4 bags of checked luggage and maybe 1 carry on if necessary?

So my questions are:

1) What guidelines do you use when determining how much clothes to pack? Do you re-wear certain clothes more than once? (I will not have washing machine access). However I am going from warm weather to warm weather, so no pants, sweaters, etc needed.

2) How do tho most efficiently pack everything in your bag? I've heard rolling clothes works well? Does anyone do this? Anyone have any pictures? (crazy I know! LOL)

3) Any other tips to help me? This is our first flight and Im super anxious about it!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

StarPrincesscruise4-2012179_zps1cff4c32.jpg

I'm not sure it these are available in your area but we love them.

http://shop.heys.ca/products/jetpack-compressible-hanging-packing-shelf

I hang them up at home to pack. Compress and put in the suitcase.

Take out once we hit the stateroom. Unpacking takes about 2 min.

Not sure how this would help, since I would fill the thing with clothes, and she has not nearly enough in it. Looks like a waste of space to me. I do the Ziploc bag, get the air out, thing. My clothes rarely wrinkle.

I just load the shelves in the cabin closet with my plastic bagged clothes. Unpacking done. I use the bags to pack dirty clothes on the return. Keeps the clean ones stink free also.

So, this may be a strange question.....

What do you find is the most efficient way to pack items in a suitcase? Typically, I just fold things into two piles, cram the smaller things where the gaps are, and voila! This also is when I leave locally and have (basically) no restriction on luggage. I take enough clothes for "what if" plus a daily change of clothes, some pants for crazy flaky weather, etc. I can admit I do overpack.

Now, my family and I will be flying for our upcoming vacation - and I am SUPER nervous about getting everything in the bags! We have 7 of us all together, me, hubby, and 5 kids. I am looking to take 4 bags of checked luggage and maybe 1 carry on if necessary?

So my questions are:

1) What guidelines do you use when determining how much clothes to pack? Do you re-wear certain clothes more than once? (I will not have washing machine access). However I am going from warm weather to warm weather, so no pants, sweaters, etc needed.

2) How do tho most efficiently pack everything in your bag? I've heard rolling clothes works well? Does anyone do this? Anyone have any pictures? (crazy I know! LOL)

3) Any other tips to help me? This is our first flight and Im super anxious about it!

No guidelines except dinners.

Evenings: Cruise ships assign daily dress codes -- casual, informal, resort casual, formal -- that take effect in public rooms and restaurants from 6 p.m. onward (daytime is always casual). Normally, on a seven-night trip, you can count on two formal nights, a couple of casual evenings and between one and four semiformal occasions. To find out the dress code on your next cruise, read our story, Cruise Line Dress Codes. For all but the most formal of evenings (and even on the more casual, upscale ships), resort casual is the common dress code. That means elegant attire, though not in the silk gown milieu. Think flowing cotton dresses or silky mix and match pants outfits that would be appropriate at a nice restaurant or a symphony concert on land.

Big question is Are you willing to do laundry (ship or hand wash) on vacation and rewear things more than once?

We use lots of Febreeze when traveling.

Decide what suitcases you are taking and only pack into those.

Share toiletries and appliances where possible.

Edited by SadieN