Packing Techniques

This thread has been way more helpful than I had thought. I will definitely be putting more thought into packing for our family cruise in July. The "bundling" video was quite unique too. Thank you to all for the great tips! :cool:

Thank you all for the great responses! I'm definitely going to cut down on what I bring this time. The bundling video was very helpful, I am going to try that with mine and hubby's clothing (the kids may be too small)? But definitely going to roll theirs now. I will watch weight as well, I forgot that they have a limit at the airline. Thank you all so much again for the helpful tips!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I use the technique I outlined above for two reasons:

1. To help make packing and unpacking quick and easy

2. To virtually eliminate wrinkled clothing

I do not do this in order to fit more in a suitcase. I've traveled enough to know what I need for a trip and don't go looking for more items to pack just because I have the space.

Most important is that there are many packing methods that work well.

Lew

The casual shirt I wear for diner is the shirt I put on in the morning for the next day.

So I wear it all day on excursions whatever then shower for dinner and put on a fresh shirt which I will start the next day with.

If the cruise does a promotion for laundry one of those "Everything you can fit in a bag" for a set price, lay your clothes on the bed and adjust them so they are as wide as the bag is long.

So lay your pants out but fold the waist so it is the same width as the bag is long.

Lay shirts, socks, shorts, another pair of pants, whatever staggered along the 1st pants but maintain the width you can make it longer then one pair of pants.

Then roll the 1st pants from one end as tightly as possible adding more clothes as you roll until you have a large tight roll that has a diameter that will just fit into the bag.

You will be amazed at what you can fit in the bag.

We had a competition with some friends we cruised with to see who could get the most clothes in the bag. We laughed so hard but got 2 pairs of blue jeans, all our underwear, socks, Tee shirts, shorts ...

We laughed again when the clothes came back all neatly folded in 3 separate bags and a few shirts on hangers.

We are easily entertained on sea days : )

A good packer can easily exceed the 50 pound limit on a 24 inch suitcase.

I was stopped once with a 20 inch carry on as I was boarding a flight for Vegas and they weighted it at 41 pounds they made me check it. I think they stopped me as they knew I had no checked luggage. They said it was to heavy for the overhead but it did not exceed the carry on size.

Buy light luggage, you will be surprised if you weigh luggage at the store before you buy. You can get a 25 inch bag that weights 13 pounds empty and a usually more expensive one that weighs about 7 pounds. That equals 5 pounds of extra clothing you can pack.

Edited by baldercash

My dress shoes fit inside my husband's dress shoes, that saves a little room.

Tucker in Texas

My wife has size 5's and I have never tried that, I like it!

If you pack High heels tuck the toe of one into the heel of the other, so soles facing out and they will pack very small. If you are concerned about a firm dress shoe getting crushed you can put socks, panty hose or bath items in them.

A good packer can easily exceed the 50 pound limit on a 24 inch suitcase.

<snip>

Buy light luggage, you will be surprised if you weigh luggage at the store before you buy. You can get a 25 inch bag that weights 13 pounds empty and a usually more expensive one that weighs about 7 pounds. That equals 5 pounds of extra clothing you can pack.

Joking aside, I am actually a very efficient packer, and we have run into this more than once. Fortunately, we have a luggage scale at home (and will bring it along if we think we'll be shopping on a trip), so we can fix it before we leave for the airport. I roll shirts and shorts, and stuff things like socks and underwear wherever they'll fit. We have 28" cases (I think) and I've approached 60 pounds with room to spare. I think we have one more trip left on our current cases till they start to disintegrate, and then I want the super lightweight ones.

And really, take less than you think you need. You won't need two outfits every day, especially if it's a day you're spending most of your time in bathing suits. That's a lesson I'm having a hard time learning myself, but I have high hopes I'll remember when packing for our next cruise. :p

Edited by mspink98

mspink98 you are so right about packing too much.

It used to be a constant battle with my DW she would pack more as I was getting better at packing each trip.

I did a detailed list of what she took and we noted what she used and what she didn't during a trip.

She used to pack 8 pairs of panties for a 7 day cruise even though we have laundry done.

She won't allow me to pack dirty clothes to bring home even if I use a plastic compression bag.

Now she packs 5 pairs and panty liners and is a very astute in picking out what to pack and mix and match.

Often table mates will ask how much she packs as they never see her in the same thing but as mentioned she is very petite which is a huge advantage when packing and flying .

She cannot reach the overhead though : )

I pack from a list which I modify and up date after each trip and on 2 occasions I have helped fellow travelers who's sandals have broken and I have repaired them with "Duct tape" until they could get replacements.

I carry crazy glue you name it but in very small quantities even watch batteries after paying 10e for one in Spain when I can get 4 for a $1.00 back home or $9.00 for shoe laces in Sydney Australia.

I have helped a lot of travelers even while in the line at the airport with my scale so they could balance bags.

One of my best stories was while traveling with 4 other couples to New York for a 3 day getaway one of the couples was way over weight and we were just starting out.

They were facing $100.00+ overage charge at the check in. They were pulling out articles from their bags to lighten them but did not know how to carry the stuff.

I handed them my carry on case which surprised them, it was empty except for a paperback.

Edited by baldercash

I used to roll which was ok, then last cruise did the bundling method and was amazed at how well that worked. It really saved space, but bit of a hassle unpacking. I'm considering using packing cubes this time around because of the organization factor. I like the jet pack idea from another poster too. Are packing cubes worth it?

I'm partial to the "stuff and pray" method. ;)

I suspect I will be using that method as well. 34 days before I leave and not even sure I have luggage. Guess I should look into that since I'm volunteering at the thrift store tomorrow - maybe I can pick one up if needed.

I use a combination of the rolling method (clothes wrinkle less with this method) and packing cubes (which I get for a great price at TJ Maxx...I have several of them). I am not one to do laundry while on vacation. It's just not gonna happen...I'm on vacation!;) I also have given thought to taking just a 22" carry-on but have finally decided that it's just not for me. The bundling method isn't to my taste either. I do well making a list and putting outfits together for each day depending on what I'm doing each day. I sometimes do wear something twice such as I'll wear a tunic cover-up over a pair of capri pants to dinner and then wear it as a cover-up another day. I'm not much for re-wearing clothes. The DH and I like to go dancing after dinner (we usually do the late seating) and so re-wearing those clothes without washing them would be out of the question. I've pretty much got my packing down to a science considering I've traveled all over the world on all modes of transportation. I rarely take clothes that I don't wear. My packing gear consists of a large rolling suitcase that gets checked and a large tote bag. I have no problem moving around in cities in Europe with these items. I'm not a big mix and match kinda gal. If for some reason however, I had to do it in just a 22" carry-on...I could do it...I just don't want to.:D

Most people say wear your heaviest or bulkiest shoes, usually sneakers, when travelling but I hate doing that, especially in cramped economy seats.

Instead I pack them in my check-in bag or carry-on depending on the length of the trip. I stuff them with my spare pair of prescription glasses and my sunglasses, cushioned with socks. Extra protection for my glasses and more comfort for my feet. ;)

I made a plan of the clothes we needed for 6 weeks, mix and match but when packed there was still a lot of spare space and weight...so guess what we added more...doh!!

Sandy in Spain

I do a modified bundle method. The video is great and teaches you how to do a bundle. I make a separate bundle for the "pre-cruise" portion of our trip the and the full bundle for the main part of our trip. For instance we leave on Tuesday, so I'm just finishing up packing. I have a bundle for London that has everything I need in it from underclothes to jewelry. That way, I can leave my main bundle intact. I'll do the same on the back end of the cruise when I repack. This method has worked the best for me over the years.

Spend a night in a suite with butler service at a St. Regis hotel. Ask the butler to unpack your luggage (one of the services they provide). Then, ask to have it packed up when departing (they do this too). Compare how you packed vs how the butler packed up your bag! The only problem is that this is a pricey way to learn how to pack ;)

I have packing cubes for everything that I'll need pre cruise through embarkation. Those go on top. I put shoes in the bottom layer toward the bottom of the suitcase. Then I roll as much as I can and fill out the bottom layer. Anything that needs to be folded goes on top of that. If I'm not bringing the garment bag, dresses in dry cleaner bags go on top. Other stuff like door decorations, snorkel stuff and toiletries gets tucked into crevices. I love packing. It's like a game of Tetris!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I do a modified bundle method. The video is great and teaches you how to do a bundle. I make a separate bundle for the "pre-cruise" portion of our trip the and the full bundle for the main part of our trip. For instance we leave on Tuesday, so I'm just finishing up packing. I have a bundle for London that has everything I need in it from underclothes to jewelry. That way, I can leave my main bundle intact. I'll do the same on the back end of the cruise when I repack. This method has worked the best for me over the years.

This sounds like an option for me - 2 days in Seattle, all casual/walking stuff on top with cruise needs below. When I have tried traveling with rolled items, I end up sticking them wherever they will fit which always results in turning everything upside down when I need "this" top!

Do a combination of rolling and packing cubes. Sis loves SpaceBags. I don't like the 'odd shape' it becomes.

The hardest part of the suitcase is the bottom with the ridges from the handle on the rolling bags. We've discovered that ramen and jello packages are just the right size and height to even out the 'floor' and make a layer of protection. We do not take these on vacation but DD does take them back to Rome with her.

I have packing cubes for everything that I'll need pre cruise through embarkation. Those go on top. I put shoes in the bottom layer toward the bottom of the suitcase. Then I roll as much as I can and fill out the bottom layer. Anything that needs to be folded goes on top of that. If I'm not bringing the garment bag, dresses in dry cleaner bags go on top. Other stuff like door decorations, snorkel stuff and toiletries gets tucked into crevices. I love packing. It's like a game of Tetris!

I totally agree! It's like a big puzzle and you have to get all the pieces in the right place!;) After the DH has finished packing his suitcase, which he will always say "it's packed to the gills!" I repack for him and find plenty of room to pack in some of my extra stuff! LOL!:D

Edited by mousey

I totally agree! It's like a big puzzle and you have to get all the pieces in the right place!;) After the DH has finished packing his suitcase, which he will always say "it's packed to the gills!" I repack for him and find plenty of room to pack in some of my extra stuff! LOL!:D

Tetris, anyone?:D

ETA-- I just googled Suitcase Tetris and a whole bunch of (good) stuff came up. Also Jenga but that ddn't make much sense to me- pull from the bottom and place on top.

Edited by SadieN

I find it's all a matter of knowing what takes up less room rolled, what takes up less room folded and seeing how things fit. Some people dread packing. I'll repack 3 times before my cruise to get things just right.

The only problem last time is that I didn't keep my pre cruise clothes apart from everything else so I ended up having to repack late the night before embarkation. I'm avoiding that next time with the packing cubes.

Edited by Ehpride

I ran the Butler idea past my husband....and it just kept on going....so that´s a No No then...men an be such a pain at times! (but I s´pose OH missed the point as he doesn´t do any of the packing)

Sometime a take a pic of how the inside of the case is packed

Sandy in Spain

Packing cubes make cross packing easy too.

Just fill a packing cube with some of your stuff (at least one complete outfit) and put it in your travelling companions checked bag. They do the same.

That way, if your luggage is lost or delayed, you have another change of clothes!

Packing is always a challenge.

We know we have to layer and have bought new fashionable looking light weight all weather jackets with detachable hoods plus rain pants that don't look like rain pants so we can wear them on cool days as well as rainy ones.

Last spring it rained 3 days straight while we were in Rome for a week and our legs got wet from the rain dripping off our jackets thus the rain pants this time.

Baldercash, those sound like great "city" rain pants - could you share the item name and/or number and brand and/or store? Thanks!

Edited by babysteps