Internet

We cruise on Princess frequently and always get free complimentary internet minutes. Booked in an OS for our August Jewel cruise.

Do we get any free internet minutes for booking a full suite?

Since we have access to the Concierge Lounge do they have a computer station to check emails that is free?

How is the internet cafe...or whatever they call in on RCCL?

We cruise on Princess frequently and always get free complimentary internet minutes. Booked in an OS for our August Jewel cruise.

Do we get any free internet minutes for booking a full suite?

Since we have access to the Concierge Lounge do they have a computer station to check emails that is free?

How is the internet cafe...or whatever they call in on RCCL?

No free internet minutes for a suite, or free email checking in the CL or anywhere else.

Has anyone tried a Verizon Jetpack? We fish offshore in the Keys often and I have been able to get fast internet connectivity 50 miles offshore. I've also used it in remote locations in Colorado.

Has anyone tried a Verizon Jetpack? We fish offshore in the Keys often and I have been able to get fast internet connectivity 50 miles offshore. I've also used it in remote locations in Colorado.

I would talk with Verizon to determine if there are data roaming charges when using the cruise ship or non-US land connection.

Those JetPacks still depend on the presence of cellular towers. Cell towers outside the continental US, such as in ports, will be a different rate on Verizon due to roaming than inside the United States. In the middle of the ocean outside the range of cell towers, those Jet Packs will not work at all.

Does anybody know the cost of an unlimited package for a 14day Mediterranean cruise I can't find it?

Also did u find it good value for money

Which ship? Unlimited internet packages are only available on a small number of ships so far.

I use my Jet Pack when fishing offshore. Used it on our 14 day Star Princess cruise to Hawaii. I can tell you 3 days out, in the middle of the Pacific, it worked beautifully. I've decided to take it on the Jewel Cruise.

Edited by DShock

I use my Jet Pack when fishing offshore. Used it on our 14 day Star Princess cruise to Hawaii. I can tell you 3 days out, in the middle of the Pacific, it worked beautifully. I've decided to take it on the Jewel Cruise.

Normally anything you do using your own cell-phone based data gets charged at crazy rates - you didn't come back to find a huge bill for data used? There must be a bug in the billing systems somehow...

Normally anything you do using your own cell-phone based data gets charged at crazy rates - you didn't come back to find a huge bill for data used? There must be a bug in the billing systems somehow...

That's totally incorrect. In April/May on our trans-Atlantic cruise to northern Europe we had free unlimited international data with T-Mobile. There's no extra charge - it's included in all of their plans. So when we were close to shore, and on shore, we were downloading pictures from our cell phones to our blogs or facebook or instagram while other people were complaining they had no service and didn't want to be charged an arm and a leg for the international plan! Ha! Hopefully we convinced people to switch over to T-Mobile! :D

That's totally incorrect. In April/May on our trans-Atlantic cruise to northern Europe we had free unlimited international data with T-Mobile. There's no extra charge - it's included in all of their plans. So when we were close to shore, and on shore, we were downloading pictures from our cell phones to our blogs or facebook or instagram while other people were complaining they had no service and didn't want to be charged an arm and a leg for the international plan! Ha! Hopefully we convinced people to switch over to T-Mobile! :D

Did the T-Moble international data plan cover you when you were out to sea, i.e., on the ship's cell phone service?

Did the T-Moble international data plan cover you when you were out to sea, i.e., on the ship's cell phone service?

No it didn't ... but that didn't matter to us! I liked having 7 days "unplugged" from the world. My family knew how to get in touch with me in case of an emergency and half my family was with me on the ship! :)

No it didn't ... but that didn't matter to us! I liked having 7 days "unplugged" from the world. My family knew how to get in touch with me in case of an emergency and half my family was with me on the ship! :)

Thanks, appreciate the info.

I'm not sure I totally understand. I have TMobile and you're saying that when we are on land we can turn off airplane mode and use the LTE to see email or Facebook or text?

Yeah, if you are on a cruise ship, but can see land, you'll probably use a land based service (but no guarantee)

So, if you go back and read my post, it was asking about someone who used their "jetpack" land-based service three days out in the Pacific. I just have not heard of any land-based plan that normally includes data on a cruise ship far away from land. Verizon's jetpack does allow you to buy 100MB of data for $25, which is not cheap, but probably will cover checking your email on a blackberry that is not too active.

I'm not sure I totally understand. I have TMobile and you're saying that when we are on land we can turn off airplane mode and use the LTE to see email or Facebook or text?

T-Mobile now has free data/text usage for when you are in many countries overseas and 20-cent per minute calls from those countries to the U.S. (with no roaming charges). It's fairly new as part of their Simple Choice plan. But you MUST be on land. It won't work on the ship. The countries are listed somewhere on their website. I know England, Spain and Portugal are included. Those are ports we will be visiting on our upcoming cruise, so I checked online and also called their customer service line to make sure! Also, I haven't used it yet, but I understand you can use WI-FI calling app if you find a free WI-FI spot and there will be no charge. Can someone confirm this for me?

Yeah, if you are on a cruise ship, but can see land, you'll probably use a land based service (but no guarantee)

So, if you go back and read my post, it was asking about someone who used their "jetpack" land-based service three days out in the Pacific. I just have not heard of any land-based plan that normally includes data on a cruise ship far away from land. Verizon's jetpack does allow you to buy 100MB of data for $25, which is not cheap, but probably will cover checking your email on a blackberry that is not too active.

Verizon has their plan, but three days out you are using the ship's tower or direct to satellite. AT&T has a monthly cruise ship plan for both minutes and data for RCI's tower. All RCI ships have a cell tower operated by Cellular At Sea. If you can see land chances are you will still connect to RCI's tower, except maybe Alaska.

In general that tower is turned off within 2 miles of a PORT. It gets more complicated from there. When RCI's tower is off, you will need an International plan outside of the USVI and PR. Verizon and T-Mobile are different.

RCI does not charge for Cell service of any kind, that's on your carrier. RCI only charges for their WiFi plan.

Edited by steveru621

T-Mobile now has free data/text usage for when you are in many countries overseas and 20-cent per minute calls from those countries to the U.S. (with no roaming charges). It's fairly new as part of their Simple Choice plan. But you MUST be on land. It won't work on the ship. The countries are listed somewhere on their website. I know England, Spain and Portugal are included. Those are ports we will be visiting on our upcoming cruise, so I checked online and also called their customer service line to make sure! Also, I haven't used it yet, but I understand you can use WI-FI calling app if you find a free WI-FI spot and there will be no charge. Can someone confirm this for me?

After I posted my question I checked the TMobile site and I saw that plan. It's a no brainer to change the plan. I can't answer the question about WiFi calling as I have an IPhone and haven't yet found a good calling app....BUT on the iPhone I can use FaceTime audio to talk using IMessage to anyone that has an IPhone or an IPad. I've tried it and it works.

• 1 month later...

We are with Tmobile and will be cruising to the Bahamas. Do you know how this will apply to us? We need to be able to check in back home daily, preferably by phone and not just via text. Thanks!

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Forums mobile app