Lobster night

Out to sea!

I guess it is better that they kept it somewhere, but lobster is one of those dishes that seems to me so much better suited to a finer dining atmosphere rather than a "grab and go".

That's not true in places where lobster is actually found. Anywhere in New England (or on Long Island), you can get a lobster at the supermarket whenever they are in season. Lobster places by the shore are informal, outdoor things... think "clambake" and not a fine dining experience.

On our recent Alaska cruise on the pearl from May 18th thru the 25th. Lobster was served in the MDR on the second night. waitress told me the Pearl served lobster in the buffet for a few sailings but decided it was not a good idea because buffet became overcrowded that night and some people were taking more lobsters tails than they can eat and not leaving other people any.

On our recent Alaska cruise on the pearl from May 18th thru the 25th. Lobster was served in the MDR on the second night. waitress told me

the Pearl served lobster in the buffet for a few sailings but decided it was not a good idea because buffet became overcrowded that night and

some people were taking more lobsters tails than they can eat and not leaving other people any.

It's most likely pax coming up from the steerage deck !

See video:

I have to say that first of all I don't eat lobster so while it isn't a big deal to me .. I think this is a shame. We have convinced many friends and family to cruise with ncl over the years and it was always nice to see some were excited by the lobster served in the dining room. We had it twice on our 11 night a year ago.

I guess it is better that they kept it somewhere, but lobster is one of those dishes that seems to me so much better suited to a finer dining atmosphere rather than a "grab and go".

Maybe there will be so many people overindulging on the buffet that they will reconsider. Hopefully not to simply remove it but to put it back into a dining room setting. ;)

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

I don't see "over indulging" as an issue as people will over indulge whether they are in the MDR or the buffet. But I do like that I don't have to bother a waiter to bring me 3 lobster tails as i would in the MDR, I can just go get them myself.

We will be cruising on Pride of America in September and would love to have Lobster, do they do this Lobster Night on that ship?

On the POA only, it is served on the night the ship leaves Kona. It is reported to be brought on board there. It is served only in the specialty restaurants for a small up charge. We will check it out in August! I would make an early reservation for dinner. Reports are that they usually sell out of lobster by 8:00 pm.

Squid...thanks for the vid. Those are some good looking lobster tails (best I have seen in all the cruises I've taken). I had heard that NCL was upping their game in the free dining venues. Looks like they're taking it up a major slot.

Leaving Sunday....can't wait.

Have a question. I have read on the forums where NCL is in the process (or has already completed) changing lobster from night 1 in the MDR to night 2 on the buffet. Is this a fleetwide change? More specifically, is this what is the current practice on the Sun? If it has not changed yet but will be changed, does anyone know when? Thanks for any info you can provide so I can set up my specialty restaurants accordingly (I want to do teppanyaki on lobster night as I feel teppanyaki will be the least filling meal in the specialty restaurants).

How about WAY out to sea?

Have read inposts here that on the POA, lobster went from MDR to buffet to - gone! they have been eliminated. Except for upgraded meal in the specialty restaurant.

Do I smell a trend? Could NCL be on a crusade to save the world's lobsters?

Have read inposts here that on the POA, lobster went from MDR to buffet to - gone! they have been eliminated. Except for upgraded meal in the specialty restaurant.

Just a guess on my part, but I would think lobster on the POA has more to do with availability. The lobster they get for KONA night may be locally caught and brought onboard fresh there in small quantities, thus restricting it to up charge only and reports of running out by 8:00 PM. Or, it may be flown in from the mainland, either fresh or frozen, and put onboard in Oahu. If so, that would certainly add to the expense of lobster for NCL. So my guess is that it is a small local quantity that is obtained in Kona or Hilo. I have been hearing about Kona night lobster for some time, so not sure how long it has been the practice.

I'm a New Englander and lobster in fancy restaurants are for tourists. The best, tender, sweet lobster is usually served in a paper basket and is eaten at a weathered picnic table

Btw the lobster in the buffet on the Getaway was excellent!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Lets hope not! :D

Just a guess on my part, but I would think lobster on the POA has more to do with availability. The lobster they get for KONA night may be locally caught and brought onboard fresh there in small quantities, thus restricting it to up charge only and reports of running out by 8:00 PM. Or, it may be flown in from the mainland, either fresh or frozen, and put onboard in Oahu. If so, that would certainly add to the expense of lobster for NCL. So my guess is that it is a small local quantity that is obtained in Kona or Hilo. I have been hearing about Kona night lobster for some time, so not sure how long it has been the practice.

Don't know if this is a permanent thing on the POA or not. Think I saw another post about no lobsters on another NCL vessel.

Anyway, you can be sure that when they serve a gazillion tails on board, they are not waiting for the day's catch from anywhere. They would be packed in by the case load in Honolulu - as you said flown (or likely sent frozen by cargo ship) in. Could be NCL is just cutting costs. Remember, though, an awful lot of the supplies they use are already shipped in from the mainland - so maybe they're just getting cheap!