Cruising out of Boston - help needed

sansterre

Is an airport arrival time of 1:15 doable for a cruise leaving at 4? I worry about a delay of some sort - weather or mechanical. Our only other choice is a 6 a.m. flight which would mean leaving our house prior to 4 a.m. which we don't really want to do.

We also are considering spending the night in Boston. Is there a hotel near the airport or cruise terminal you recommend? I recall the airport is on the water so perhaps they are close to each other?

Edited by sansterre

The rule requires you to check-in 2 hours prior departure (the cruiseline must send its passenger manifest to customs) so it is WAY too tight a schedule.

Flight are also delayed often so I would advise to fly the day before. But I sometimes have taken flights landing around 6 am. I go for a nice breakfast when I arrive and head to the port around 10am.

The rule requires you to check-in 2 hours prior departure (the cruiseline must send its passenger manifest to customs) so it is WAY too tight a schedule.

Flight are also delayed often so I would advise to fly the day before. But I sometimes have taken flights landing around 6 am. I go for a nice breakfast when I arrive and head to the port around 10am.

Thanks. We have found a flight the night prior to departure that will work for us, tho it arrives at 10 pm. So now, we need a nice yet somewhat reasonable hotel in Boston.

Logan airport and Black Falcon terminal are very close to each other, but there is no way I would risk arriving on a flight at 1:15. It takes a while to leave the plane, get to baggage claim, and for your luggage to arrive. Then, you need to get outside and take the cab over; add check-in time to the schedule, too. Traffic should not be a problem.

I would figure all that to take at least an hour, and I would plan on an hour and a half (I like "cushion" time in my schedule).

Figure in the pre-sailaway time required by the government, and coming in at 1:15 is not a good idea.

There are plenty of hotels in Boston. I know there's at least the Hilton at the airport, but Boston is not so big a city that you can't stay in town and still have a short drive to the pier the next day.

I suggest your plan is very risky.

You are cutting it way too close given the long list of things that can go wrong with air travel these days. I think you need to reconsider.

We recently stayed at the Hilton at Logan Airport on our way to and from London....

It was very easy and very comfortable....

After getting our luggage...we walked out of the terminal and waited at the "courtesy bus" shelter...I had added Hilton's phone number on my cellphone and called them for a pick-up....they arrived within 15 minutes, helped with our bags and quickly delivered us to the Hilton....great service....

The cruise port is just across the bay....and a cab would be about $20.....we paid $25 coming back from Quincy Market....

Thanks. We have found a flight the night prior to departure that will work for us, tho it arrives at 10 pm. So now, we need a nice yet somewhat reasonable hotel in Boston.

Boston hotels don't do "reasonable". :rolleyes: But if you're coming in that late,, you might as well just stay at the airport hotel. It will be a short taxi ride in the morning.

Happy you have worked a new plan. Hope you have a wonderful cruise. My late husband and I did that cruise a great many times b-to-b and really love Maasdam and that itinerary.

Are you sailing Veendam or Maasdam?

Happy you have worked a new plan. Hope you have a wonderful cruise. My late husband and I did that cruise a great many times b-to-b and really love Maasdam and that itinerary.

Are you sailing Veendam or Maasdam?

We are on a b to b on the Veendam. Come sail with us - I remember you are good at music trivia! My husband didn't tell me about your husband dying. I am so sorry:(.

I am flying to Boston this coming Friday and will stay overnight before joining the ship the next day. I have booked a room at the Airport Hampton Inn, the rate is very reasonable (for Boston) under $200.

and they have a shuttle to the cruise terminal for $10.

I hope to board Maasdam about 11 am. :)

Hope this is useful.

We are on a b to b on the Veendam. Come sail with us - I remember you are good at music trivia! My husband didn't tell me about your husband dying. I am so sorry:(.

That's so kind of you to suggest I sail with you. I appreciate it but I'm not ready to sail again just yet. It's just six weeks since I lost my Robert and I need more time.

I think you may have confused me with RuthC. She is the music trivial whiz!!! :)

Hope you have a good cruise. We sailed Boston to Boston, 7 days, on Veendam last August with another couple and we all enjoyed that ship despite her sad aft area.

Crew was wonderful.

That's so kind of you to suggest I sail with you. I appreciate it but I'm not ready to sail again just yet. It's just six weeks since I lost my Robert and I need more time.

I think you may have confused me with RuthC. She is the music trivial whiz!!! :)

Hope you have a good cruise. We sailed Boston to Boston, 7 days, on Veendam last August with another couple and we all enjoyed that ship despite her sad aft area.

Crew was wonderful.

Sorry - I may have mixed you up with someone we played Name That Tune with, but do remember spending some time with you years ago at a Captain's cocktail party. My DH is "Ginger and the Professor". Interestingly we were on the Veendam (agree with sad aft area) in the Antarctica and I think Ruth C was with us on that cruise. However, we didn't do music trivia with her....we are not good at music games, just enjoy playing;)

I am flying to Boston this coming Friday and will stay overnight before joining the ship the next day. I have booked a room at the Airport Hampton Inn, the rate is very reasonable (for Boston) under $200.

and they have a shuttle to the cruise terminal for $10.

I hope to board Maasdam about 11 am. :)

Hope this is useful.

DH has done the same thing for us, but a few weeks later. We didn't know about the shuttle to cruise terminal - that is a plus!

Thanks to everyone who gave us the right advice - everyone was "steel on target" IMO. Love CC and all of you:)

The rule requires you to check-in 2 hours prior departure ...
No, if HAL has all of your info 90 minutes before sailing then the only requirement is that you are on board in time for the life boat drill. Still, I agree that a 1:15 landing is much too tight.

U.S. government security regulations require us to submit

certain guest information to law enforcement authorities

at least 60 minutes prior to departure. To meet this

requirement, we must have the necessary information in our

records at least 90 minutes before departure. If we do not

have your information by this deadline, you will be unable

to sail. Guests are urged to complete the Online Check-in

process before leaving home. Guests who wait to check in at

the terminal risk being unable to sail even if they arrive at

the terminal before the vessel leaves. You will be responsible

for all costs you incur to join the vessel at the next port.

Edited by jtl513

Sorry - I may have mixed you up with someone we played Name That Tune with, but do remember spending some time with you years ago at a Captain's cocktail party. My DH is "Ginger and the Professor". Interestingly we were on the Veendam (agree with sad aft area) in the Antarctica and I think Ruth C was with us on that cruise. However, we didn't do music trivia with her....we are not good at music games, just enjoy playing;)

Yes, I definitely remember you and your DH.

We met at the Mariner's Party in the show lounge and had a really nice chat. I remember seeing you out and about a fews times after. It was a pleasure meeting you and I'd enjoy being on the same ship with you again in the future. :)

And yes, again..... I think you are correct RuthC was on that Veendam Antarctica cruise. :)

No, if HAL has all of your info 90 minutes before sailing then the only requirement is that you are on board in time for the life boat drill. Still, I agree that a 1:15 landing is much too tight.

U.S. government security regulations require us to submit

certain guest information to law enforcement authorities

at least 60 minutes prior to departure. To meet this

requirement, we must have the necessary information in our

records at least 90 minutes before departure. If we do not

have your information by this deadline, you will be unable

to sail. Guests are urged to complete the Online Check-in

process before leaving home. Guests who wait to check in at

the terminal risk being unable to sail even if they arrive at

the terminal before the vessel leaves. You will be responsible

for all costs you incur to join the vessel at the next port.

Thanks for the clarification.

Yes, I definitely remember you and your DH.

We met at the Mariner's Party in the show lounge and had a really nice chat. I remember seeing you out and about a fews times after. It was a pleasure meeting you and I'd enjoy being on the same ship with you again in the future. :)

Thanks Sail - the pleasure was ours. Hopefully we will meet again on one of HAL's great ships.

I hope not cause our flight doesn't get in till 130

That makes me queasy cutting it that close.

Hopefully, all will go smoothly.

Edited by sail7seas

Is an airport arrival time of 1:15 doable for a cruise leaving at 4? I worry about a delay of some sort - weather or mechanical. Our only other choice is a 6 a.m. flight which would mean leaving our house prior to 4 a.m. which we don't really want to do.

We also are considering spending the night in Boston. Is there a hotel near the airport or cruise terminal you recommend? I recall the airport is on the water so perhaps they are close to each other?

I agree with others that you should go the day before. I have stayed at the Seaport Hotel. It is in the harbour area and 5 minutes by cab from the Black Falcon Terminal. You can take the rapid transit right there from the airport if you don't have too many bags. It is walkable to downtown as well as being on the rapid transit and of course there are lots of restaurants along the harbour front. I found the price reasonable and they had a strict no tipping policy when I was there!

Leslie

Boston hotels don't do "reasonable". :rolleyes: But if you're coming in that late,, you might as well just stay at the airport hotel. It will be a short taxi ride in the morning.

Ahhh.... Taxis..... Boston...... driving to Logan..... Brings back memories........

Dad was at the wheel (he's almost a native and sort of took on a different persona)..... Horns... sudden lane changes... White knuckles.... Eyes closed..... and we missed the turn to the shuttle so we had to do it all over. That was years ago and we still laugh about it.

Ahhh.... Taxis..... Boston...... driving to Logan..... Brings back memories........

Dad was at the wheel (he's almost a native and sort of took on a different persona)..... Horns... sudden lane changes... White knuckles.... Eyes closed..... and we missed the turn to the shuttle so we had to do it all over. That was years ago and we still laugh about it.

I swore off driving in Boston decades ago, in the mid-70's. Morning rush hour, heading toward Logan. Every lane bumper to bumper, cars close on each side, all doing 65. :eek:

Picked up my sister, and the next year told her to take the bus down and I would pick her up in Providence.

Haven't driven there since. And I do not laugh about it at all. ;)

I agree with others that you should go the day before. I have stayed at the Seaport Hotel. It is in the harbour area and 5 minutes by cab from the Black Falcon Terminal. You can take the rapid transit right there from the airport if you don't have too many bags. It is walkable to downtown as well as being on the rapid transit and of course there are lots of restaurants along the harbour front. I found the price reasonable and they had a strict no tipping policy when I was there!

Leslie

The Seaport is our favorite hotel. We are there at least once a month as my mom is now in an assisted living facility in the area.

The service there is excellent and the beds practically rock you to sleep.