Ice cream

cruisinjudy

Does anyone know what kind of ice cream HAL uses and has it changed over the last ten years or so?

It's made in house. I don't know if the base has changed or not, but I would tend to think that there is less fat in the ice cream than there was a decade ago. Just a personal observation.

I have no idea what brand they use, but I do know it tastes good to me---both in the Lido and in the dining room.

I don't know if it's the same on all the ships lately, but on my recent Oosterdam cruise there was a delicious cupcake offering in the Lido every lunchtime. That, along with a scoop of ice cream, was like a birthday party every day! :D

Is there an extra fee for the ice cream?

No, it's included in the fare.

In the Lido there are various toppings there for the asking. Syrups, nuts, sprinkles---all sorts of things.

I have no idea what brand they use, but I do know it tastes good to me---both in the Lido and in the dining room.

I don't know if it's the same on all the ships lately, but on my recent Oosterdam cruise there was a delicious cupcake offering in the Lido every lunchtime. That, along with a scoop of ice cream, was like a birthday party every day! :D

Leave it to you Ruth to enjoy that.:)I'd rather drink my dessert in the form of a Spanish Coffee.:D:I enjoyed a few scoops of Black Cherry while on the "O" recently. Tasted and looked exactly like Canadian made Chapmans Ice cream - could have been that since the ship provisioned in Vancouver.

I always hope whichever ship I am on is offering cinnamon ice cream and coconut at least once each cruise. Delicious and not something I get often at home. :)

This brings up one of my major HAL pet peeves: in the lido they ruin the great ice cream by putting it in WARM BOWLS. :(

That's not quite true. They ruin it by putting it in HOT bowls. :D

I always hope whichever ship I am on is offering cinnamon ice cream and coconut at least once each cruise. Delicious and not something I get often at home. :)

Coconut is nice, but TOASTED coconut is outstanding. Very hard to find though.

I asked because I used to like their ice cream but on our last cruise I found it had an off taste. But then again it may be just because vanilla is about all I can eat now and I never had their vanilla before. I just know it is not like what we buy at home. I like Tillamook vanilla.

Any chance of getting the coconut ice cream over sticky rice?

...and not to take the thread off topic, but I needed to state a small complaint about running out of waffle cones. That's a punishable offense, isn't it?

Our Westerdam Collector's Cruise, they ran out of the small cones early in the first cruise and did not have any the whole rest of our two cruises. Saved me a bunch of calories as I don't like the big waffle cones so I skipped the ice cream most days.

...and not to take the thread off topic, but I needed to state a small complaint about running out of waffle cones. That's a punishable offense, isn't it?

If you sail out of Fort Lauderdale, try to make a stop at Kilwin's on Las Olas. Homemade waffle cones & bowls. Plain, or dipped in chocolate - milk or dark.

I like the Lido ice cream as you can see! I was told on the world cruise by

the Lido manager that the ice cream was made by a major manufacturer

but of course could not name them. I know they offer Ben and Jerry in the

Pin and Canaletto. My only problem with it is that the young lady serving has

to open the freezer so often it gets soft and liquidly. The soft Carvel stuff

I do not go for! All in all I think it is a great passenger perk, especially

coconut and coffee combined.

I like the Lido ice cream as you can see! I was told on the world cruise by

the Lido manager that the ice cream was made by a major manufacturer

but of course could not name them. I know they offer Ben and Jerry in the

Pin and Canaletto. My only problem with it is that the young lady serving has

to open the freezer so often it gets soft and liquidly. The soft Carvel stuff

I do not go for! All in all I think it is a great passenger perk, especially

coconut and coffee combined.

We have often wondered why the ice cream is semi soft all the time on every ship, even when it is freshly opened. On our last cruise my husband decided that if the poor girl had to stand there all day scooping rock hard ice cream it would cause wrist injury over time and that may be the rationale behind it. He may have a point there.

Neither of us have had much ice cream on any HAL ship the last couple of years. It is too "soupy" for us. We like it firm. For several years HAL was buying Eddie's Ice Cream for the Lido and dining room. I don't know what brand they are getting.

In the Pinnacle, for the "Not-So-Classic Baked Alaska they use Ben & Jerry's Garcia ice cream.