Just off Explorer... Questions??

We sailed explorer last December and have to say we couldn't stand Leigh and Erky.... Leigh makes us Aussies look bad!

And our over all experience of this ship was awful... We will never sail explorer again luckily we had said sailed on freedom before this cruise other wise we would of never sailed again.

Food was great, service was ok.

One of my sons ended up with his face punched in and we were told the kid that did it was being kept in his room. 10 mins later the kid was in the promenade egging my boy on again.

Sailing out of New York was a totally different experience.

TheBrowns

Edited by TheBrowns
more to add

By chance would you have menus from the Main Dining Room? Doing a 9 nighter for the first time and wondered about the menu rotation. How about formal nights too (I know the wife will want to get dressed up as much as possible)?

No, I'm sorry I don't have the menus. I can tell you we didn't repeat any nights though. Our formal nights were Days 2 and 8.

I was also on the same sailing.

I'm looking at the departure schedule now and self assist was 8:30-9:30am.

There were some time changes on our sailing, which are the following:

Concierge Lounge opened at 4:30pm to 8-8:30pm , instead of 5pm.

All dining (both MTD and regular dining) was changed to 5:30pm & 8:00pm every night. Show times were also changed on most nights to coincide with dining change. Here's the listing of the shows we had and their times.

Day 1

Welcome aboard show and a comedian, one show for all guests at 7:15pm

Late night Adult Comedy 10:15

Day 2

The Royal Caribbean Singers and Dancers, "Invitation to Dance" 8:30pm and 10:15pm

Day 3

Headliner Show starring Blaze of Glory (Bon Jovi Tribute) 6:45pm and 8:30pm

This show was excellent!!! People dancing in the aisles and in their seats. It was like going to a rock concert.The group was from Canada, lead singer kind of looked like Bon Jovi and and sounded exactly like John Bobn Jovi . One of the guitarist looked like Richie Sambora and sounded like him when playing his guitar.

Day 4

Ice Show 1:30pm and 3:30pm

The Royal Caribbean Singers and Dancers "Wild, Cool and Swingin" 6:45pm and 8:30pm

Day 5

The Royal Caribbean Singers and Dancers "An Intimate Jazz Cabaret" 7:15pm and 8:15pm (held in the Maharajas Lounge) as all other shows are in the Palance theater. Did not attend so can not comment on show.

Love and Marriage Game 10:00pm

Day 6

Headliner Show starring the Magic of Puck 6:45pm and 8:30pm

Day 7

Headliner Show starring an "Evening with Vocalist/Entertainer Tony B" 6:45pm and 8:30pm

70's Disco Inferno Street Party 10:00pm

Day 8

Ice Show 1:30pm and 3:30pm (same show as Day 4, just different Muster stations)

The Royal Caribbean Singers and Dancers "Fast Forward" 6:45pm and 8:30pm

Quest 10:00pm

Silent Party 11:00pm to 1:00am

Day 9

Farewell Variety show 6:45pm and 8:30pm

Pool attendants did a fantastic job and stayed on top of all chair hogs, I was impressed. You still didn't need your seapass for towels at the pool. But, I was told as of the 5-31-14 sailing and going forward on all sailings, when the ship is in a port only, your seapass will be scanned for towels as too many towels are being left on beaches in the ports.

There were not many D+ aboard, approx 60 so Diamond members were able to use Cloud 9 for our sailing.

This was the calmest sailing we ever had and many days the sea was like a lake. All in all we had a wonderful time as always.

We have a hold for net summer- Europe Got it with their BOGOHO .

It will be refurbished next Feb 2015 so it should be cleaned up.

As far as food all are now mediocre- lots has changed through the years.

As long as it is OK I am fine. Not looking for the best meal ever- for that I'll go to a restaurant in Ft Lauderdale. :)

Also have a hold on Serenade for holiday 2015-16. Good deals with the BOGOHO.

Going on Indy June 28 hope weather cooperates

Hate to disagree.... We LOVE Leigh & Irky. Prior to Leigh we had Keith who we felt was in the wrong job. We did not like him at all nor did we find him informative or accurate.

Agree about Leigh and Irky, they are an excellent team. :)

Hate to disagree.... We LOVE Leigh & Irky. Prior to Leigh we had Keith who we felt was in the wrong job. We did not like him at all nor did we find him informative or accurate.

Yes, I hate to disagree too, but I also loved Leigh and Erky! They were so much fun and both were so funny! I have sailed on two other ships with Keith as CD and I agree that he is totally in the wrong job. I thought he was too stuffy and I didn't think he was funny or that he really enjoyed his job.

We sailed explorer last December and have to say we couldn't stand Leigh and Erky.... Leigh makes us Aussies look bad!

I happen to agree with you wholeheartedly here. It got to the point where I avoided activities they were at by the end of our cruise. I found Leigh condescending & insulting to passengers (a bully even), particularly at the belly flop contest & Erky's fake laugh was grating at best. Be yourself, Erky. Like I said, I just avoided being where they were, so it didn't ruin my cruise, but i wouldn't be disappointed if they were on vacation elsewhere for my upcoming cruise.

I'm so sorry you had such an awful experience with your son. That certainly would taint my opinion. I happen to love the ship & most the crew, with the exceptions noted above.

Regards,

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Yes, I hate to disagree too, but I also loved Leigh and Erky! They were so much fun and both were so funny! I have sailed on two other ships with Keith as CD and I agree that he is totally in the wrong job. I thought he was too stuffy and I didn't think he was funny or that he really enjoyed his job.

We had Leigh on our cruise in Dec 2012 and thought he was excellent. Our next cruise in Sept we are scheduled to have Keith so I am sorry to hear bad reports.

We had Leigh on our cruise in Dec 2012 and thought he was excellent. Our next cruise in Sept we are scheduled to have Keith so I am sorry to hear bad reports.

I had Leigh as a CD during a cruise a couple years ago when he was activities manager under James Andrew. James had to leave for that sailing due to a family emergency and Leigh filled in...such a great job (maybe this is when he got promoted). But I too have Keith as a scheduled CD in October on the Explorer and I haven't read such great things about him.

Sailed on Explorer last July and can say one thing, I hate port Liberty, there is a two lane road to terminal, and some three thousands people trying to get to pier. Ship needs an update. We had my time dining and couldn't eat once at the time we wanted. This year we are going back to NCL

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No, I'm sorry I don't have the menus. I can tell you we didn't repeat any nights though. Our formal nights were Days 2 and 8.

Thanks for the info... any/all information is much appreciated

My hubby couldn't stand Graham seamour on freedom. But after sailing with Leigh, hubby has decided that Graham's not that bad after all. At least he was out mixing with the cruisers and he was at most of the activities I don't think I saw Leigh or Erkie around the ship at all

TheBrowns

My hubby couldn't stand Graham seamour on freedom. But after sailing with Leigh, hubby has decided that Graham's not that bad after all. At least he was out mixing with the cruisers and he was at most of the activities I don't think I saw Leigh or Erkie around the ship at all

TheBrowns

Wow, we definitely have different tastes in cruise directors. We loved Graham Seymour back in 2010 on the Freedom! He was a lot of fun, and we loved when he sang the last night of the cruise at the show. I loved Leigh and Erky and saw them a lot during the cruise. Erky had a Finish the Lyric game show that was hysterical and hosted Erky's Trivia, plus he did Who Wants to be a Royal Caribbeanare the last night of the cruise. I saw Leigh a lot, too, including at the Belly Flop contest, 70's night (with Erky too) and other different events.

Each to their own, I guess... :)

Yes, everyone has different taste in cds... my daughter and I enjoyed Keith's lower-key style of cd... warm and friendly without being over the top or in your face... did a good job introducing acts in the theatre, warming up the crowd... seemed pretty buttoned up until 70s Night when you could really see his history as a dancer, and he led an exciting, engaging and definitely adult quest... saw him around the shop, always pleasant and with a genuine smile.

His assistant cd dre from Jamaica was great too, very outgoing, really connected with the younger folks, led our m&m, bingo, pool games, etc. Check link in my sig for most recent explorer review on which Keith was cd for more details.

(They could do a better job training cd staff to lead trivia, however... you'll read about that as well...)

Jmho... ymmv

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Forums mobile app

I just got off the 9-night Bermuda/Eastern Caribbean cruise that sailed May 22 from Cape Liberty. Any questions? I will say one thing... CD Leigh and the Activities Manager, Erky, are fabulous and make the best team!

I would also love to see the Compasses if you can. please :)

Tony B was in the Schooner Bar. We also didn't care for Leigh and Irky. The faces Irky made when people asked for comments were rude. BUT we also didn't care for Graham on the Indy last year.

My favorite CD is still Drew Devine.

Anyway, we were also on this sailing. I found service to be just so-so everywhere. Almost like someone zapped all the energy out of the crew (except the "washy-washy" lady.

I feel the same as Empress of Purple about Keith Wilson. Very low key style, but still effective at his job. Also, he was very accessible all over the ship and never too busy to stop and answer any questions, or just say hi. The assistant CD Dre was also good.

I found Leigh and Erky to be very entertaining. :D

I was also on the same sailing.

I'm looking at the departure schedule now and self assist was 8:30-9:30am.

There were some time changes on our sailing, which are the following:

Concierge Lounge opened at 4:30pm to 8-8:30pm , instead of 5pm.

All dining (both MTD and regular dining) was changed to 5:30pm & 8:00pm every night. Show times were also changed on most nights to coincide with dining change. Here's the listing of the shows we had and their times.

Day 1

Welcome aboard show and a comedian, one show for all guests at 7:15pm

Late night Adult Comedy 10:15

Day 2

The Royal Caribbean Singers and Dancers, "Invitation to Dance" 8:30pm and 10:15pm

Day 3

Headliner Show starring Blaze of Glory (Bon Jovi Tribute) 6:45pm and 8:30pm

This show was excellent!!! People dancing in the aisles and in their seats. It was like going to a rock concert.The group was from Canada, lead singer kind of looked like Bon Jovi and and sounded exactly like John Bobn Jovi . One of the guitarist looked like Richie Sambora and sounded like him when playing his guitar.

Day 4

Ice Show 1:30pm and 3:30pm

The Royal Caribbean Singers and Dancers "Wild, Cool and Swingin" 6:45pm and 8:30pm

Day 5

The Royal Caribbean Singers and Dancers "An Intimate Jazz Cabaret" 7:15pm and 8:15pm (held in the Maharajas Lounge) as all other shows are in the Palance theater. Did not attend so can not comment on show.

Love and Marriage Game 10:00pm

Day 6

Headliner Show starring the Magic of Puck 6:45pm and 8:30pm

Day 7

Headliner Show starring an "Evening with Vocalist/Entertainer Tony B" 6:45pm and 8:30pm

70's Disco Inferno Street Party 10:00pm

Day 8

Ice Show 1:30pm and 3:30pm (same show as Day 4, just different Muster stations)

The Royal Caribbean Singers and Dancers "Fast Forward" 6:45pm and 8:30pm

Quest 10:00pm

Silent Party 11:00pm to 1:00am

Day 9

Farewell Variety show 6:45pm and 8:30pm

Pool attendants did a fantastic job and stayed on top of all chair hogs, I was impressed. You still didn't need your seapass for towels at the pool. But, I was told as of the 5-31-14 sailing and going forward on all sailings, when the ship is in a port only, your seapass will be scanned for towels as too many towels are being left on beaches in the ports.

There were not many D+ aboard, approx 60 so Diamond members were able to use Cloud 9 for our sailing.

This was the calmest sailing we ever had and many days the sea was like a lake. All in all we had a wonderful time as always.[/QUOT

where there any Pinnacles on that cruise ? if so, how many and who was the highest ???