Rccl navigator or carnival magic?

You should go read a bunch of member reviews of each ship and then decide.

Asking this question on the RC threads will be unfairly bias for obvious reasons.

From my experience, the Navigator was one of my least favorite cruises...

We've been on both. We preferred RCCL over Carnival for several reasons. Food is much better on RC. Crowd seemed a little more courteous on RC. Atmosphere is better on RC. In our case, we liked the fact that there were less kids on RC. Only thing that Carnival won in was stateroom. We had 1 & 1/2 baths on Carnival. We probably won't go on Carnival again.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Forums mobile app

We have done both and liked Navigator best. We were on Navigator before the recent updates so its even more attractive to us now than before. We did not like the Carnival cruises so we made the change and have never looked back. You may find a better price on Carnival however so if that's a factor consider it. The stateroom on Carnival was great but we really didn't enjoy much other than that.

I have some information that you may want to know before you make your decision but I need to know which year you want to go.

2014. Is it because the navigator is going into dry dock? That could be a concern.

Ok with that being said, the Navigator just got out of dry dock in January 2014. They added a Park Cafe (many people like going here for breakfast and lunch), Giovanni's Table, Sabor Mexican, and Izumi Asian cuisine. If your into flow rider they have a simulator of that, she also got digital interactive signage, flat screen tv's in cabins, bow to stern wi-fi and a pooside jumotrron. There are also virtual balconies.

With these updates and and of course they work on paint, carpeting and such, I would definitely choose the Navigator.

If your not planning on having a balcony the Navigator has the Viking Crown Lounge with a wonderful view of the sea.

Buffets (cruies lines all have cut backs) on Carnival have been cut back more. The Navigators pools are larger and nicer, service is overall excellent on RC, where Carnival it can be a hit or miss, desserts are better on Carnival, shows are better on RC, the liquor packages on Carnival have a 15 drink limit per 24 hours where RC have no limits, many drinks on Carnival are served in smaller glasses too.

Rc remains to be my favorite cruise line.

Edited by lyndamr

Maybe not exactly what you're looking for, but I'll give my limited take. We've been on the Magic, but not the Navigator. We've sailed her sister ships, the Voyager and Mariner each 3 times.

Voyager class seems easier to get around than the Magic. There are areas in the Magic that seem to bottleneck and seems to much like being inside.

I liked the layout of the buffet area on Voyager class. Easier to move around and didn't seem to be as crowded.

MOST IMPORTANT FOR ME!!!!!! Voyager has the solarium area, which is an enclosed, quiet, adult pool area. That's where we live on sea days. Magic has the serenity area, but it's on a high deck, open and the days we tried to use it, very windy.

So, guess it depends on what you want from your cruise.

Ok with that being said, the Navigator just got out of dry dock in January 2014. They added a Park Cafe (many people like going here for breakfast and lunch), Giovanni's Table, Sabor Mexican, and Izumi Asian cuisine. If your into flow rider they have a simulator of that, she also got digital interactive signage, flat screen tv's in cabins, bow to stern wi-fi and a pooside jumotrron. There are also virtual balconies.

With these updates and and of course they work on paint, carpeting and such, I would definitely choose the Navigator.

If your not planning on having a balcony the Navigator has the Viking Crown Lounge with a wonderful view of the sea.

Buffets (cruies lines all have cut backs) on Carnival have been cut back more. The Navigators pools are larger and nicer, service is overall excellent on RC, where Carnival it can be a hit or miss, desserts are better on Carnival, shows are better on RC, the liquor packages on Carnival have a 15 drink limit per 24 hours where RC have no limits, many drinks on

Carnival are served in smaller glasses too.

Rc remains to be my favorite cruise line.

Just as a point of clarification, there is no Park Cafe on Navigator. I was on the 5/18 sailing, and the 24 hour spot was Cafe Promenade. I would have LOVED a Park Cafe for the salads alone. Maybe eventually it will be added to their food venues.

I would fully agree with the post about the serenity area on the Magic. I have been on the Carnival Ecstasy and really enjoyed the serenity area at the back of the ship. However - on the Magic it is very windy up there, making it close to unusable some days. Also, no hot tubs close by. It just generally feels like an afterthought - as in - "hmm, what can we do with this out of the way, unused area . . ."

I haven't been on Navigator - going at the end of July, but we are choosing it over going the Magic again. The biggest reason is that we were REALLY fed up with the so-called "entertainment" by the end of our cruise. At least half the time, Carnival used the passengers themselves as the entertainment - talent shows, contests, dance lessons, etc. There were only a couple of good shows.

Another big reason - no live music by the pools. Just DJs playing mostly hip/hop etc. In general, not much live music on Magic, and when we went a year and a half ago, the piano bar guy was absolutely terrible.

On the other hand, as everyone has said, the cabins are very nice. And the Red Frog pub is great :D

• 1 month later...

considering the same question myself, looking at first trip on Navigator. But really like the magic's spa area (always get a spa inside room). we also enjoy the comedy club more than production shows. probably time to try something new again. Magic can get crowded feeling.

same week and same ports. I just cannot decide. Has anyone done both of these ships?

Yes, I've been on both. Navigator is my favorite Voyager Class ship, whereas I hated the first 2 Dream Class ships. So my recommendation is Navigator.