Can anyone share their Harv and Marv experience?

Dizzneefan

We are considering booking with Harv and Marv and I would like to hear from some of you who have booked through them before. It will be a party of 11. Do you set the time depending on your ship arrival? We are only in Juneau from 7-3 so would we have time to do any other sightseeing?

I just booked with them and they only had an 11:30am available for me. Not sure if they have more times available when you book further out, or if that is it. That leaves some time for sightseeing before the whale watching, but very little after.

We are considering booking with Harv and Marv and I would like to hear from some of you who have booked through them before. It will be a party of 11. Do you set the time depending on your ship arrival? We are only in Juneau from 7-3 so would we have time to do any other sightseeing?

depends on what other sightseeing you want to do ? Isn't it a 4 hr tour? So a helicopter trip with dog sledding, no way. A visit to Mendenhall, possibly a quick look since the vendor will drop you off there. If whale watching is the priority, seems like the obvious answer would be an 8am-noon tour, arrive at Mendenhall by 1pm, walk around for 1/2 hr then a cab back to the pier. Or instead of a hectic early morning , have a relaxing b'fast on board and take a later tour and skip other sightseeing. You just need to do the math.

For reviews, there are hundreds of them on this forum. Use SEARCH THIS FORUM with "Harv and Marv" as your key words. Be sure to use the quotes.

Edited by mapleleaves

we booked several months in advance, probably eight or so months before our trip. we were given times to choose from and picked the four hour slot that worked best for us. if it's available, I'd suggest the earliest time possible. that way you have the rest of your day open instead of splitting it up. on our trip, the bus stopped at Mendenhall glacier after the whale watching. you could spend 15 minutes there and catch the bus back downtown, or stay there as long as you want and find alternate transportation back.

as for the tour, my husband and I enjoyed it. once getting off our cruise ship, we were led onto a bus with several others. after a short narrated ride, we met our captain and took off on the boat. they supplied soda, water and snacks. we had a rare sighting of orcas and also saw seal lions, eagles and one juvenile humpback tail.

I am in the middle of writing a review about my cruise and included a section on whale watching with harv and marv, with pictures.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2047015

Edited by sjmbruce

With a group of 11 you need to charter their larger boat. I have not been on the larger boat but have heard good things about it from reviews and comments on this forum. I have been on their 6-passenger boats multiple times and it has always been an excellent time.

H & M are the tops. Just the best. So much better than the crazy cruise expeditions where they pack a boat with a zillion people on them.

Harv and Marv are wonderful. Small boats, good captain, took us to see the whales, really handled everything with such class and grace. Just a great experience.

The captain found out we liked lighthouses - took us by the lighthouse. My girls loved the sea lions playing in the ocean. So he took us by a buoy where the sea lions hang out and sun. Just lots of stuff like that - real personal attention. Then at the end the van driver drove us by Mendenhall Hall glacier for a quick look, then some fast shopping and then back to the boat. All no extra charge.

You won't go wrong with H & M!

Just did their tour last week. They did a great job. I booked my tour months ago and opted for an early morning departure. I found out that Harv & Marv has been sold but the new owners are keeping the same staff,captains, etc. so watch the boards in case things start to change.

Does anyone know when they will start booking for 2015?

I'm not sure but I did send an email message today. I am on the Ruby Princess next July. I plan to book the Tracy Arm Fjord & Glacier Explorer excursion which means I will meet up with the ship in Juneau around 2pm. I am hoping H&M has an afternoon trip that leaves around 3:30 pm so I can grab a quick lunch before heading out again :)

I heard recently that they were sold so I hope the service remains the same. If so I should hear back from they very quickly.

They just confirmed my July 29, 2015 trip so they are definitely taking reservations. This will be my first time out with them since I normally book with Orca Enterprises. Thought I would try something different this time and I can't wait :D

They just confirmed my July 29, 2015 trip so they are definitely taking reservations. This will be my first time out with them since I normally book with Orca Enterprises. Thought I would try something different this time and I can't wait :D

Oh perfect! As soon as we get our cruise booked, I'll contact them and get our excursion booked!

My husband is a little nervous I'm going to get sea sick on such a small boat. I hope not!

I've been out with them once, and the experience was amazing. Am going out with them again this September. With 11 in your party, you'll get the larger boat and it will pretty much be a private tour.

They are a great organization, and you will have a memorable day.

We did H&M in 2012. We were a party of 3 and there was another couple plus the captain. We were able to see orcas and humpback whales. I love how the ship was small and our captain could hear other reports of where the whales were and we could go at our leisure to see them. If you are on a larger excursion you won't have that option. We loved our trip and would go again if we went back to Alaska and they were available. I did book WAY in advance of our trip to secure our space.