Any recent reviews of S.American cruises?

alexandra cruiser

Thinking of the BA to Valpariso or even Miami to Lima for next yr.

Wonder about the Tera del fugo section,is it as rough as I ve heard?What experience have you had there?

Have done the Rio to BA section.

Need a change from Caribbean(doing that again in Nov.).

Maybe Panama Canal??Open to ideas.Thanks in advance.

Wonder about the Tera del fugo section,is it as rough as I ve heard?What experience have you had there?

Did this four years ago - when they included a drive by of Antarctica.

It include the Drake passage and a stop in the Falklands.

The Drake was the Drake Lake. Calm...

However as you point out Tera del fugo section was indeed given. No warning by the Captain was given and about 90% of the passengers and 50% of the crew were sick. We were the 10% and it was great having the specialty Toscana all to ourselves and the sommelier was amazing decanting a bottle of red with the ship move --- up and down....

It is definitely a change from the Caribbean as is a good cruise if you have never been to South America.

Try the Panama Canal which is a long, usually calm, cruise. Just returned

from it as part of a b/b/ b and it was calm as can be. S.America can be pretty good although it can also be pretty rough. We were in luck last time we did it.

• 1 month later...

Think we ll do the BA to Valpariso,around the Drake passage next yr.and just HOPE to calm seas.But will pack RX ,,in case.

We did Rio to BA on O a few yrs.back and would like to explore more.Saw some cruise photos and looks adventurous.

Now must wait till next yrs.brochure,or book onboard in Nov.Not sure how fast these fill up??

Any other comments or reviews??Love all the info,and photos,from CC.

We too were on the Lima to NY cruise and although we had a great trip, 8 days at Sea plus a couple of very poor stops made it seem far longer.

Brian

Brian,

Which ports disappointed you? We're on next year's cruise so I'm curious. The sea days are fine with me -- our last two cruises on O were TAs so I like them just fine. But not all ports on the itinerary look that fascinating to me ... so I'm wondering which ones you didn't care for.

Mura

Just a request for the BA to Valparisio cruisers Dec.1st.PLEASE post a review,asked on roll call section also.

Want to do this NEXT yr.and would appreciate all and any details.Exp .re private or O tours you liked ,or not.

Will be on Rivera in Nov.and plan to book onboard to get extra perks.

Thanks in advance.:):)

Within the last year I have done all 3 and a trans-pacific. Much of it on Marina.

Yes the waters south of 50-40 degrees S. can be very changeable. Drakes passage can be a lake or a mistake. No way of telling day to day or week to week.

That said the only interesting ports I found, ones I WOULD GO BACK to are all south of Puerto Mott. and South of Puerto Madlyn on the Atlantic side. Get a cruise that overnight's or makes a 15 hour stay in Puerto Arenas to see Torre de Plain. and a sail by of Antarctica , which is as good as a set foot visit. ( I say this as a professional naturalist)

That leaves Valpariso north to the Canal... which I found all the ports poor and desolate. The canal was interesting but Marinas lecturer was the poorest I have ever heard., reading word for word from a power point.

Belize is good... but can be scary. Guatemala.. did not get off. that did got back on quick. Key west great

Its a personal thing if you'll like the ports... Me not so much and one time was more than enough. But that's me. I like natural beauty mountains, forests, rivers, caves , stuff like that.

I am not a city lover or a shopper and am turner off by third world squalor which abounds. out of the regions I mentioned.

I last sailed Marina from Tahiti to NY for its south pacific, Pitcairn, Easter Island stops....and the canal. All the rest I had seen prior and the left me wanting.

I would strongly suggest the Tahiti to NY cruise rather than the one to Lima or Valpariso. Or Valpariso south to Buenos Aires ( which I found to be a faded flower)

So in my opinion forget all but the Fijords, Puerto mott, Ushuea, Antarctica as the rest had nothing of interest to me and was depressing . However the ship was wonderful and good to stay on when in crummy ports

All depends on YOU