Train Ticket from Venice to Milan?

wanderlust35

Hi there,

We are flying out of Milan post-cruise, and we dock in Venice. Should we pre-book our train to Milan or will it be cheaper to buy a ticket on the day we leave (July 5)?

Anyone have recommendations for websites to book train tickets? Looking at italiarail.com shows tickets for $55pp.

Thanks!

In theory, yes it is cheaper to book online, at Trenitalia's own website (www.trenitalia.com), and pretty easy too (unless AMEX decidest that all those Trenitalia transactions are suspicious and starts blocking them - for instance :D). However, looking at your travel date, all of the discounted tickets are sold out for the morning trains you would most likely want to take (8:50 - 9:50 - 10:50), so just as well to purchase at the station. However, if the 11:50 works for you, you can book it for half the price online.

Edited by Twickenham

trenitalia.com

Also, you can depart from Venice Santa Lucia station, or just across the causeway on the mainland is the town of Mestre so check departures from there.

If you can't manage your luggage easily to reach the Venice station consider a taxi to Mestre. ( 15 minutes, about 25 E)

I agree that you should go to Mestre by taxi rather than do the People Mover and walk over the bridge to the train station. It's really hard with luggage. The reason I would buy the ticket is because- you won't have to stand in line at the train station to get a ticket and if you get reserved seats- that's important. If the discounted tickets are sold out that should clue you in that the trains are going to be full.

Schedule your train for after 10AM to be on the safe side.

I agree that you should go to Mestre by taxi rather than do the People Mover and walk over the bridge to the train station. It's really hard with luggage. The reason I would buy the ticket is because- you won't have to stand in line at the train station to get a ticket and if you get reserved seats- that's important. If the discounted tickets are sold out that should clue you in that the trains are going to be full.

Schedule your train for after 10AM to be on the safe side.

Got the 11:50 from Venice S. Lucia to Milano Centrale for 19 euro a piece. Thanks everyone!

We don't need first class, especially not for that price!

Two second class tickets with reserved seats was 38 euro total, from Venice S. Lucia to Milano Centrale.

Works just fine for us! We did Europe via Eurorail pass in 2008 and second-classed it all the way -- it was great.

Thanks for the responses, everyone!

Got the 11:50 from Venice S. Lucia to Milano Centrale for 19 euro a piece. Thanks everyone!

Excellent! Paid the same for our Milan-Venice tickets for the end of July - a great price! And agree about 2nd class - very comfortable, especially on the Freccia trains.

on the trenitalia site, look every once in awhile for your train. Sometimes, you can get the super economy price on a first class seat for the same price as the normal second class seat. I've lucked out on that a few times!!!

Excellent! Paid the same for our Milan-Venice tickets for the end of July - a great price! And agree about 2nd class - very comfortable, especially on the Freccia trains.

FYI, there will be (or at least was for us) a power outlet at each seat, sorta behind your knee, do be sure to have your outlet converter handy. I was also please with the wireless internet aboard. I think it cost €.99 a day.

We were just in Venice in May/June 2014. In May we did a day trip from Venice to Milan on the train, it was very easy as we did not have any luggage with us, booked online, the trains are great to travel with.

Just be aware that often they do not show up on the board for your platform until about 15-20 minutes before the train leaves the platform.

We were back in Venice in June and most of the ship was disembarking and other embarking(we were on a b2b2b), many people believed that there was some type of ramp along the bridge between the people mover and the train station, there was NOT. We saw these same people really struggling with their luggage over the bridge. Venice was fairly crowded and people are not always kind. Most people think of those struggling with luggage as in their way and cut them off, etc.