Does "Airplane" mode works out at sea...?

Since my smart phone doesn't have "Sea" mode, can I still use it while cruising?

Sorry, since I'm not smart enough to figure this out, should I just take the batteries out & leave it in the safe to make sure I don't accidentally get hundreds of $$$ from $10/min charges...?

when you are out to sea, you are not near any repeaters, so you wont have access to the signal....once you get near ports, you phone will pick up local repeaters..just leave it on airplane mode..even in port you can use the free wifi in many establishments

Royal has a cell phone tower on the ship, so a phone that is not in airplane mode will pick up a signal out at sea.

Edited by clarea

Every RCI ship has a cell tower and if you connect it is called Cellular at Sea. RCI does not bill you for any cell services you may accidentally use, but you will be billed by your carrier.

If you are going to use your phone as a camera, you are correct airplane mode is your best bet. WiFi is available from the ship @ .85 cents/per minute (lower with packages) to check your emails.

I carry my phone around the ship for the random photo, but as soon as we leave port it goes into airplane mode. Except when we go to the pool when I turn it off and store it in the safe.:)

Enjoy your cruise.

Also, if you take it out of "airplane mode" it could interfere with the ship's navigational systems.

Then, Won't your cabin steward knocks on your door to tell you to turn off your phone to make sure that the ship won't crash into anything since the nav systems aren't working...?