Would you rather have an outside all the way forward or an interior midship

I personally would be worried about motion sickness.

I think you've sailed quite a bit out of Baltimore--sometimes there are a couple of days of rough seas. My whole family felt sick on an Enchantment cruise to the Bahamas in winter. One in our party was seasick on our Bermuda cruise on Grandeur last week. Both times we were glad to have mid-ship cabins to retreat to.

The interior cabins are pretty tiny, but I think I could probably spend my whole cruise happily sitting in the Schooner Bar.

Twice out of Baltimore; once on Enchantment in December 2012 and once on Grandeur in May 2014. ;)

The Bermuda run is more likely to hit "heavy seas" on its route. I don't want to jinx myself, but I don't get seasick.

:)

Then again, maybe it won't change. With the compressed pricing on O-class, for our last three cruises on that class balconies combined with D+ discounts were cheaper than interiors, so that is where we ended up.

That continues on many cruises...certainly there are different strokes for different folks when it comes to both the type of cabin they choose and location.

But given the original poster's points...the choice to get a larger cabin with an outside view or an inside cabin at or near the same price...the inner "dorm room cabin" seems to be a clear 2nd place in those options. That was the point made earlier.

Edited by CRUISEFAN0001

Twice out of Baltimore; once on Enchantment in December 2012 and once on Grandeur in May 2014. ;)

I remember reading your "live blog" of your Enchantment trip (it was right before our first cruise), and then saw you were going to be on a Grandeur sailing after ours this spring...I thought it seemed that you were a frequent Baltimore cruiser. Instead, it's just a remarkable coincidence that we've been on nearly the same sailings twice!

That continues on many cruises...certainly there are different strokes for different folks when it comes to both the type of cabin they choose and location.

But given the original poster's points...the choice to get a larger cabin with an outside view or an inside cabin at or near the same price...the inner "dorm room cabin" seems to be a clear 2nd place in those options. That was the point made earlier.

I'm really not looking for a fight, but you really need to come down off that high horse. IN YOUR (derogatory) OPINION the inner is a "dorm room cabin" and "2nd place" of the two options. But as can be seen by this thread some PREFER the inside so it's hardly a "clear 2nd place" to all. Their opinions are every bit as valid as yours, and may not even change "after they gain more experience like you have."

Sent from my Galaxy S4 via Tapatalk

Either would be fine with me ... but if the seas are rough ... would not want to be on deck 3 forward. Was deck 2 forward outside portal on first cruise and had 25 foot seas on first night ... was not fun.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

I've been all the way forward on lower decks three times. If you have to anchor, the noise is very LOUD when they let the anchor down. The rocking motion in high seas does not bother me. I would choose OV.

Portholes on Vision are large and very deep. The teen age girls loved sitting up there and pulling the curtain. Vision and Grandeur are in he same class.

Distance is not an issue at all. As far as I am concerned, the Grandeur is SMALL in terms of walking all the way forward or aft.

I just got OFF the Grandeur. I had such a good time that I booked another cruise while on board. I already have my cabin assignment, as I wrote in the original post. This past week I was in 8078, a Junior Suite all the way aft on the port side, but not "on" the aft. So walking all the way forward is not an issue.

I am really wondering if anyone reading this has had a cabin very far forward on ANY Vision class ship. Motion? Smaller because of the tapering of the ship's hull? NOISE AT DOCKING???????

We were in 8514 on Grandeur last Sept - 6 day to Bermuda, and we hit some rough seas on our second - lots of motion. But, this was our first cruise, so cannot compare it any other ships/cruises. We found that we loved the motion! There was noise from pool deck, but it cannot remember hearing the anchor, of course we reached Bermuda around 3pm, so were up on pool deck at that time.

Sent from my iPad using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app

I'm really not looking for a fight, but you really need to come down off that high horse. IN YOUR (derogatory) OPINION the inner is a "dorm room cabin" and "2nd place" of the two options. But as can be seen by this thread some PREFER the inside so it's hardly a "clear 2nd place" to all. Their opinions are every bit as valid as yours, and may not even change "after they gain more experience like you have."

Apparently you enjoy getting in the last word and indeed seek confrontation.

Your opinion is respected. Perhaps you should consider doing the same.

The "dorm room" label comes from fellow passengers who selected it - not me. In addition, other passengers have repeatedly indicated it as a 2nd choice - again - not me.

So perhaps an adult response to reflect an answer to the original poster is in order. Let's all enjoy cruising.

i agree,i love the inside middle, i sleep great its quiet and i dont get the sun in my face while sleeping, also i have heard people talking in a balcony room and also opening and closing their balcony doors, some which love to do it every 2 min. :rolleyes:

Edited by DannyDriscoll

The "dorm room" label comes from fellow passengers who selected it - not me. In addition, other passengers have repeatedly indicated it as a 2nd choice - again - not me.

So perhaps an adult response to reflect an answer to the original poster is in order. Let's all enjoy cruising.

The "dorm room" commentary came (multiple times) from you and you alone in this thread , not other posters.

And in addition, a number of other passengers have repeatedly indicated it as a FIRST choice, which you've continued to dismiss by claiming that they just lack your greater experience and wisdom. :rolleyes:

This is an interesting response. Since the original post in no way addressed balconies, why are you discussing them?

Indeed...

Edited by LetsGetWet!

i agree,i love the inside middle, i sleep great its quiet and i dont get the sun in my face while sleeping, also i have heard people talking in a balcony room and also opening and closing their balcony doors, some which love to do it every 2 min. :rolleyes:

Why would you get sun in your face? There are two sets of curtains, sheers and BLACKOUT curtains. If one remembers to close the curtains then no light seeps in. At night any cabin is dark, there are no street lights or ambient light on a ship when your window or balcony faces the ocean. An interior promenade cabin would get ambient light more so then and outside cabin.

Why would you get sun in your face? There are two sets of curtains, sheers and BLACKOUT curtains. If one remembers to close the curtains then no light seeps in. At night any cabin is dark, there are no street lights or ambient light on a ship when your window or balcony faces the ocean. An interior promenade cabin would get ambient light more so then and outside cabin.
I will readily admit that much of this is usually true, but there are always exceptions. Two years ago I sailed Hurtigruten above the Arctic Circle, and the sun did not set for six days. I slept well in my inside cabin, but there were LOTS of complaints from others that every time the ship rocked the curtains let the sun in (seems like they could have fixed this with better attachment of better blackout curtains, but that was not the case). I tend to wake up with the increased light of dawn, and although it is possible to have (almost) 100% effective blackout curtains (I have certainly encountered them in hotels in Scandinavia) I have never been on a ship that had them - the room gets noticeably lighter in the morning (not desirable if you went to bed at 4am:p).

Thom

lol , geez is everything a fight on CC? rooms, tips, clothes,front desk people ect ect.

No kidding...

Many of those topics come down to personal preferences...which is a good thing. There doesn't have to be a "right or wrong" for every topic as you correctly pointed out.

So everyone should just enjoy their cruises. If they're happy...we're all happy.

The op was asking about two choices - OV or inside. No mention of balcony. Then you said balcony was better and that inside was four walls dormitory style, and that some newly made friends of yours "couldn't even fathom an inside".

The "dorm room" commentary came (multiple times) from you and you alone in this thread , not other posters.

To end your debate on this...I stated that the term came from other cruisers...not me. It's been around for years. End of story.

Everyone else can now move on to enjoy their cruises. Thank you.

The op was asking about two choices - OV or inside. No mention of balcony. Then you said balcony was better and that inside was four walls dormitory style, and that some newly made friends of yours "couldn't even fathom an inside".

Good grief...:rolleyes:

on the Grandeur?

I have an interior (3053) that I received as a result of an interior guarantee booking.

3008 is available for the same (actually lower) price.

Would you keep the midship interior or take the cabin all the way forward with two portholes?

The outside is 15 square feet larger, unless it loses real estate because it's most of the way forward.

Since you are an experienced cruiser...and likely have been in nearly every cabin type on various ships...what you selected as your final choice would be interesting to know.

Enjoy your cruise either way!

...Many of those topics come down to personal preferences...which is a good thing. There doesn't have to be a "right or wrong" for every topic as you correctly pointed out...
That is a nice sentiment; I concur. Maybe you can remember that next time before you repeatedly demean others' choices. Note that there are multiple people on this thread who feel that is what you did. Perhaps that is not what you meant to do, but using terms "Dorm room", "2nd choice", "can't fathom" etc sure make it come across that way, and replies of "Good grief...:rolleyes:" imply that you just don't get it.

That is a nice sentiment; I concur. Maybe you can remember that next time before you repeatedly demean others' choices.

There are always people looking to pit nicks and/or debate. Nothing new there.

Nobody "demeaned" anything. Having an alternative view is only that. Those points were not even mine...just shared other people who experienced a different perspective...a very few people just chose to shoot the messenger.

So we move on now hopefully...

what about the moon? or maybe i dont want to get woken by some seeping sun coming in at 5:30 no matter how tight you close the curtain a little some seeps in, also as i said i can hear the next door balcony open and closing every 5min. sometimes loud talkers.