Question about Seward Hotels

Tee & Chilli

For convenience, the Holiday Inn Express is right at the small boat harbor area where the Kenai Fjords boat tours are. The Best Western is about a mile away. Both are excellent hotels.

The HI is next to the harbor

the BW is also on the waterfront but in 'downtown' Seward about a mile away.

I haven't stayed in either but both look quite nice from the outside .. updated, well maintained properties.

For the price difference, I'd go with the BW ... the town has a free shuttle that will drop you at the SeaLife Center, about a block from the BWl. OR you can take a taxi for $6-$7.

(send for the free Seward Visitor Guide)

We've stayed at the HI several times during the off season when you can get a room for $79.00 a night :) It's right next to several good restaurants with views of the small boat harbor including Chinooks and Rays.

Another good choice if rooms are available is the Breeze Inn which is virtually across the street from Kenai Fjords and Major Marine tours. Standard motel units but the newer units are nice.

Have stayed there on 2 different trips. Nice place with free breakfast, free shuttle from railroad to hotel, and from hotel to ship. It is right on the water with a wonderful view of the bay and the park along the shore. It is also right across the street from the sealife center, which is a great exhibit. It is in town, so easy to walk to shops and restaurants, as this hotel does not have a real restaurant, just a setup for the breakfasts. It does have a bar though. It is fairly new and the rooms are spacious, some have little balconies. Highly recommend it.

The HI, while easy access to the ship, is at the boat marina. Quite a walk, uphill, to town.

We got a taxi for $5 to the Safeway out on the highway into town. Shopped for our wine and snacks for ship.

We spent several nights at the BW Edgewater in 2011, and based on our experience I would have no qualms in staying there again. The room was quiet, very clean and in excellent condition. The staff were helpful. The included breakfast was fine (we tend to be cereal and fruit folks for breakfast), and did include some hot items. The Edgewater is located "catty-corner" from the SeaLife Center.

D

Do you mind sharing how you recieved that rate via Costco? Are you a member or employee? I am a Costco member and if available, I would love to secure a similiar rate in mid July. Thanks for any tips and information.

Sent from my SM-T217S using Tapatalk

D

Do you mind sharing how you recieved that rate via Costco? Are you a member or employee? I am a Costco member and if available, I would love to secure a similiar rate in mid July. Thanks for any tips and information.

Yiks ! Cruise Critic rules prohibit naming Travel Agencies and a certain "Big Box Store" is a travel agency among other things!!!!

Your post and mine will likely be removed. ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

D

Note the date, MAY 22. The OP is travelling during the shoulder season.

I apologize for naming the big box store. I saw the name mentioned in a review so I thought it was acceptable.

Just go to the website or call the Toll free number. I'm not anemployee. I have a regular membership. The discount is 10% to 15% at various locations in the U.S and Canada.

Edited by TeeChi

For that price difference, take the Best Western! We've stayed there twice, booking through the same big box agent at much higher prices, and it's perfectly nice. Not the fanciest hotel I've stayed at in my life, but it is clean, safe, and conveniently located. You can take the town shuttle from the SeaLife center anywhere you want to go and the hotel runs a shuttle to the ship.

I have reservations at the Holiday Inn Seward and the Best Western Edgewater in Seward. Has anyone stayed at both hotels and if so, which hotel would you recommend for us to stay at in mid July? The price is about the same based on an auto cloud rate.

I will cancel one of our reservations but am looking for advice on which one is most recommended to stay at. We will be staying in Seward for 2 nights pre cruise. 1 day if charter fishing and the other day (which is departure day, Sunday at 8pm) seeing the local sights. Lastly, does anyone have any suggestions of what to do and see on our departure on Sunday?

Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wsbb, is your fishing trip is an early morning departure from the small boat harbor ? If so I'd go with the HI just for the convenience.

As for what to do on your final day, depends on your interests and physical abilitites..... Exit Glacier, Kenai Fjords cruise, kayak trip at a glacier, dog carting, heli tour, flightseeing.

Look at the town web site for ideas http://www.seward.com.

I have reservations at the Holiday Inn Seward and the Best Western Edgewater in Seward. Has anyone stayed at both hotels and if so, which hotel would you recommend for us to stay at in mid July? The price is about the same based on an auto cloud rate.

I will cancel one of our reservations but am looking for advice on which one is most recommended to stay at. We will be staying in Seward for 2 nights pre cruise. 1 day if charter fishing and the other day (which is departure day, Sunday at 8pm) seeing the local sights. Lastly, does anyone have any suggestions of what to do and see on our departure on Sunday?

Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

Please cancel those extra reservations asap. This type of practice is why others get "sold out" notices on websites. And the hotels think they will be full so raise prices. Prices are about supply and demand, and these practices skew the figures.

Rant over :)

Thanks Mapleleaves. Your point about an early morning departure is a very good one. I believe that is the marina we depart from.

PV Girl, I enjoyed your Rant. Rather comical.

Since you all are talking about Seward, I was looking for a room there May 31, 2015…very limited availability?:eek:

Do I need to call to make reservations?

are you looking at one of these 2 hotels specifically or elsewhere?

Perhaps the sites aren't updated yet to include 2015, which is probably the case for smaller places. Call now ... you might also secure 2014 pricing.

I can recommend a great B&B if anyone is interested. We stayed there 5 days 2 weeks ago.

On the walking trail by the water, so it's a mile to the harbor, and very close to the museum and Sea Life Center/downtown.