Live from Nautica

greenamber

Thanks! Nice report, reminds me of our fantastic time we had onboard Nautica just a few weeks ago, first cruise after drydock.

We published 95 photo's of the refurbished Nautica on our Flickr-account:

Thanks for the great photos. What cabin were you in?

Edited by suni

Would like comments on the B class veranda cabins and evening entertainment. My concern is that we don't feel confined and will have ample activities/entertainment on a 30 day cruise.

Thanks

Bjajds

Is this your first cruise? If not, the cabin size is available on the website and you can compare it with the size of cabins you stayed in before. Some are happy with inside cabins, others with nothing less than a PH - it's your call.

Most people do not cruise on Oceania for "evening entertainment". While it is adequate for many, it is very poor for others (to the point that they do not attend the shows). It certainly is not like the entertainment you could expect on the Oasis or other mass market cruise lines.

During the day they offer various activities - lectures, movies, trivia, bingo, needlepoint, cooking demonstrations and classes (on Marina/Riviera), etc. Many people entertain themselves by reading or socializing with others. If you need constant activities to be entertained, Oceania is probably not for you.

Would like comments on the B class veranda cabins and evening entertainment. My concern is that we don't feel confined and will have ample activities/entertainment on a 30 day cruise.

Thanks

Bjajds

We have spent 26-32 days in B & C cabins

they were just fine for us

It just depends on what you can live with ....some need the space of the suites or PH cabins

I agree with Paul the entertainment is fine ..it is not Vegas or Broadwy shows but it gives you something to do some evenings

Lyn

Just got back from the Venice to Rome cruise , lovely , great ship and fantastic crew. Although one wonders how the crew some times puts up with the odd extremely rude and arrogant passenger !

A few observations about the ship

1) sat internet is extremely slow

R 2) Room and bed (PH suite) comfortable

3) very well looked after by the butler and maid

4) food was of a very high quality

5) preferred the. Toscana restaurant over polo , I think polo is to similar to the main dinning room fare prefer to see something more like Jacques or Red Ginger as the other option

6) the coffee bar is nice , but it's location is poor , it's just sort of plonked in a corridor leading to the main dinning room , with little or no separation and identity

7) our balcony needed some TLC, the teak deck needed re-sanding and re-caulking , the paint around the deck was in poor condition , the teak hand rail needed re-sanding and re-varnishing

8) the lock plate and bottom tracks of the balcony door were corroded , dirty and in need of attention

9) wardrobe door catches and the door operation was a bit hit and miss ! Felt like you might land up with the door in your hand after opening

10) would be nice to have one UK 240volt socket for chargers etc to avoid the necessity of adapters

11) TV is of poor quality and the menus for picture adjustment locked , our TV was in dire need of adjustment , but to be honest just couldn't be asked to get it sorted as we didn't watch it much

12) thought films in this day and age would be on demand rather than by DVD player

13) the TV if pulled out to watch it in bed would present a sharp corner , the wife managed to collide several times with it

14) the wash basin tap needed to have the pressure reduced as if one forgot and turned it on fully you landed up soaked as the water rushes in one side out the front and all over you , we did ask to have this sorted but I think the reception staff couldn't get their head around the problem result in shower pressure being reduced , we lived with it in the end and became used to it

15) the lift/elevator interiors are a bit shabby , the brass hand rails look like after thoughts of poor quality and are all loose , the operating panels look like dogs breakfast of numerous revisions and up grade over years , some of the buttons are missing legends , and some do not illuminate

16) brass staircase handrails need a good application of Brasso and some el bow grease

17) Despite Oceania,s best endeavour s to get passengers to disinfect their hands before entering restaurants etc it was amazing to see a number of passengers making deliberate efforts to avoid this requirement

18) I thought the cost of shore excursions was extortionate and to my mind without justification

Non the,less an excellent cruise and lovely staff and fellow passenger , would return again.

I am glad that you had a good cruise but I am somewhat surprised that you plan to return.

13 (or 14) out of 18 points discussed were problem issues - not what I would consider a great cruise experience, generally speaking :)

I am glad that you had a good cruise but I am somewhat surprised that you plan to return.

13 (or 14) out of 18 points discussed were problem issues - not what I would consider a great cruise experience, generally speaking :)

Same reaction here

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Be nice now. It is their first post and we should be welcoming them to Cruise Critic. So, welcome to cruise critic S2000ap1.

Having been on several other cruise lines, the faults they found were very minor, therefore yes they would want to cruise on Oceania again. A couple of them they would have been aware of if they had been lurking on CC prior to booking their cruise. Not everyone is completely computer literate and it does take a while to work your way around the CC site. Every time CC moves something, it takes a while to find where they have moved it to.:)

I am surprised at #10

I have not been on the Nautica but the other 2 sister ships have 2 - 240V plugs by the desk

wonder if they removed them from the Nautica though that would be hard to believe

Edited by LHT28

I am surprised at #10

I have not been on the Nautica but the other 2 sister ships have 2 - 240V plugs by the desk

wonder if they removed them from the Nautica though that would be hard to believe

I believe they are 240V but with European type plugs (as opposed to UK plugs).

Thanks for all the great photos! You didn't miss much - just like your white glove inspection!

I'll be on sister ship Insignia in two months. Just one question: Where did they squish in Baristas? I know you said it's close to the main dining room, but we haven't been on one of the smaller ships in 3 or 4 years and I can't remember as much as I should. Also, we didn't eat in the MDR that much, as we absolutely love eating outside on the Terrace. (Hope there are no freak storms!)

Thanks again for the comments and especially all the photos!

Same plugs in same place in suite

I doubt any of that changed

Baristas is where the grand bar was outside the GDR. Great space. Lots if comfy seating. Very busy. I think it is much better than the location on the o ships

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Same plugs in same place in suite

I doubt any of that changed

Baristas is where the grand bar was outside the GDR. Great space. Lots if comfy seating. Very busy. I think it is much better than the location on the o ships

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

The photographs of the new Baristas look great. I quite liked the positioning of the barista on Azamara's ships at the top of the grand staircase and am interested in experience the Oceania R ship difference. My guess is it is more club and less cafe in feel.

Edited by OzAbroad

Come on be nice guys, don't attack someone who has never posted before for adding their views. I actually agree with quite a few of the points raised although think they were being over the top picky! However I would concur absolutely on the points of hygiene and rudeness. We were given a letter before embarkation to say that they had cases of sickness on board the previous cruise and were taking extra precautions, but we saw time and time again passengers ignoring the hand cleaning points, forgetting that even though they may have washed their hands before leaving their cabin they may have held hand rails or used lift pushes. Also there is no cause for the rudeness we saw staff being subjected to on numerous occasions. It costs nothing to say please and thank you, but this seemed to be a rarity. I personally found this very upsetting and on more than one occasion had to bite my tongue for fear of conflict with fellow passengers.

Having got that off my chest, we had a wonderful cruise, visited some new ports and with the exception of Durres we enjoyed them all. We met some great people among our fellow passengers who were generally older than our last cruise, having said that we did have a lovely Australian family on board covering three generations, including several delightful and charming children who were a joy to watch and they were thoroughly enjoying the experience. The ship, the food and especially the staff were fantastic, but I think on reflection we prefer Riviera due to the wider choice of restaurants. Back home now with just a mountain of laundry, happy memories and look forward to being back on board Oceania soon.

Yes but 2,3 and 4 are the most important. Food, comfort and service.

Well sorry if i have ruffled a few feathers, must get my self booked onto a course to learn how to turn on a pc ! maybe one involving rocket science.

Yes i was being a touch picky , but if you think about it that indeed says there was not actually much wrong with the experience full stop, which is indeed the case.

The few odd comment regarding the fabric of the ship are minor ones that maybe Oceania should address and indeed these would in my humble opinion be worthwhile .

The comment regarding the coffee bar is a personal one , stick 20 people in a row who could look at the location objectively and you would get 20 different answers, and my observation comes from a sample survey of one , me ! So my comments do not form a a valuable survey.

I would return again , and may well do so in the future. My rose tinted specs no longer fit , and I see things as they are, stayed in a good few hotels that could learn lessons from Oceania , some rated very highly and even a Hotel Inspectors own Hotel that fell down in many areas!

It seems i am not the only person who noted the rudeness and arrogance of a few other guests, that's life though and and to be found in all walks of life.

This forum is like most others on the net , so take my comments for what they are , fire them back at me , I sure they will bounce of my thick skin into the sunset.

Well sorry if i have ruffled a few feathers

This forum is like most others on the net , so take my comments for what they are , fire them back at me , I sure they will bounce of my thick skin into the sunset.

We are going on our first Oceania cruise in January (after leaving our last Holland America cruise disappointed in the food and service), and I appreciate unvarnished comments like yours. It seems like there are some people who object to pointing out minor problems as (still) problems. Weird, in my mind, for a site with "critic" in the name.

Thanks for your feedback!

Just got back from the Venice to Rome cruise , lovely , great ship and fantastic crew. Although one wonders how the crew some times puts up with the odd extremely rude and arrogant passenger !

5) preferred the. Toscana restaurant over polo , I think polo is to similar to the main dinning room fare prefer to see something more like Jacques or Red Ginger as the other option

6) the coffee bar is nice , but it's location is poor , it's just sort of plonked in a corridor leading to the main dinning room , with little or no separation and identity

7) our balcony needed some TLC, the teak deck needed re-sanding and re-caulking , the paint around the deck was in poor condition , the teak hand rail needed re-sanding and re-varnishing

8) the lock plate and bottom tracks of the balcony door were corroded , dirty and in need of attention [/b]

9) wardrobe door catches and the door operation was a bit hit and miss ! Felt like you might land up with the door in your hand after opening [/size]

10) would be nice to have one UK 240volt socket for chargers etc to avoid the necessity of adapters

11) TV is of poor quality and the menus for picture adjustment locked , our TV was in dire need of adjustment , but to be honest just couldn't be asked to get it sorted as we didn't watch it much

12) thought films in this day and age would be on demand rather than by DVD player

13) the TV if pulled out to watch it in bed would present a sharp corner , the wife managed to collide several times with it

14) the wash basin tap needed to have the pressure reduced as if one forgot and turned it on fully you landed up soaked as the water rushes in one side out the front and all over you , we did ask to have this sorted but I think the reception staff couldn't get their head around the problem result in shower pressure being reduced , we lived with it in the end and became used to it

15) the lift/elevator interiors are a bit shabby , the brass hand rails look like after thoughts of poor quality and are all loose , the operating panels look like dogs breakfast of numerous revisions and up grade over years , some of the buttons are missing legends , and some do not illuminate

16) brass staircase handrails need a good application of Brasso and some el bow grease

17) Despite Oceania,s best endeavour s to get passengers to disinfect their hands before entering restaurants etc it was amazing to see a number of passengers making deliberate efforts to avoid this requirement

18) I thought the cost of shore excursions was extortionate and to my mind without justification

Non the,less an excellent cruise and lovely staff and fellow passenger , would return again.

We just got off the Regatta on Tuesday.

We had a couple of Penthouse Suites on deck 8. We were a party of seven. We took our 7 year old grandson with us and he was very well behaved.

The Penthouse Suites were not nearly as nice as the Penthouse Suites on the Riviera/Marina. I am not even sure why they are caused suites on the "R" ships.

Not even in the same class.

Bathrooms: The caulking was disgusting all around the bath tub. There was black crud around it. We asked for the caulking to be replaced and it was replaced in only one of the suites after four days.

The cabinetry: Some of the drawers were coming apart, one of the closet doors was warped and you could not close it. When it was rough....the door made a lot of noise. This wasn't addressed during our cruise in any of the suites.

Veranda: The track from inside and outside was corroded and needed to be either cleaned or painted....there was a lot of black crud and it was not pleasant to look at. In one of the suites...it was very hard to open and close the veranda door.

Oceania should have addressed these issues in dry dock.

Specialty Restaurants: Food came cold. Food was not great in either of the restaurants this time. We never went back to Toscana.

The Terrace: The service was not up to par this time. You had to ask someone to clear your dishes if you wanted to go back for something else.

Dishes were not labeled as prior cruises. Went there once for dinner and did not go back.

The salad selections were poor.

We had most of our dinners in the main dining room where the service was excellent and the food came hot.

TV: The "R" ships should have movies on demand like they have on Regent. Poor selection of movies and TV channels. They did not even have CNN. The TV's were small and not good quality.

The staff and crew around the ship were excellent. Our room stewardess was excellent. The butler tried his best.

I would not sail on the "R" ships again. We were offered an up sell to an Owner's Suite and I am glad that we did not take it. One night...there seemed to be a lot of vibration in the back. I would not take a Vista Suite either on a "R" ship as when the seas are not calm...you would really feel the movement in the front of the ship on the "R" ships. So if we sail on Oceania in the future we will only sail on the "O" ships in a Penthouse Suite or above.

We were in an Oceania Suite last year on the Riviera and had one day of rough seas but did not feel much movement being up towards the front.

Overall we had a great time as we were a multi-generation family traveling together.

BTW...we were not the family of the so-called screaming toddlers that is mentioned on the thread "Live from the Regatta".

There were about 14 children on this cruise. Very well behaved children. There was another multi-generation family on this cruise with 3-4 small children. They were in suites down the hall from us. Once in a while you heard one of the toddlers cry....did not impact the cruise at all.

The staff and crew were wonderful to the children on board. The Captain met with the children for ice cream on one of the sea days.

Cruise director was excellent.

I think two things at play here is if you are coming from any mass market line you just paid around 3x the price for the trip. Second if you read some of the stuff here you would think the ship doesn't go in the water it glides above it as it is so special. This leads to nit picking. I just took my first Crystal trip. After what I read on their board I was taken aback that the captain could not change the weather!!

Sent from my XT1032 using Forums mobile app

Yes but 2,3 and 4 are the most important. Food, comfort and service.

True enough.

I am sure all of OP's observations & comments are valid and not imagined.

I would be interested in knowing how this compares to his cruising experiences on other lines.

Hello greenamber,

We're heading to Nautica on Tuesday. Seeing that you are from the UK, you may be a football fan. If so, my London born husband would like to know anything you can share about how the crew members are viewing the World Cup since it's not available on board. I have visions of him sneaking to the crew bar to watch on someone's I Pad! Sadly we won't be in port to see games live.

Thanks! Enjoy the rest of your holiday.

8) the lock plate and bottom tracks of the balcony door were corroded , dirty and in need of attention

9) wardrobe door catches and the door operation was a bit hit and miss ! Felt like you might land up with the door in your hand after opening

I am really surprised by the details you have shared. This ship JUST had a $50 million dollar drydock! Very disappointed to hear that after the refurbishment, these items are still issues. REALYY...DVD 's? Is there any music system in the cabin for ipod or music? I am sailing on Nautica in a few months and must say, this review has left me feeling concerned!