Shuttle bus service in ports?

hubbards

Having never sailed on Oceania before I'm curious if they run any free shuttle bus service in ports where it is called for. I have sailed mostly on Crystal Cruises and they do run a shuttle in most ports.

Thank you for the link. I had read that before posting my question yesterday. It was rather old so I wasn't sure if things were still the same or not. I will plan on shuttles most of the time. Thank you all.

Thank you to everyone for their input. Sounds like it is hit and miss regarding shuttle service. I am not new to cruising, I've cruised over 65 times. I am new to Oceania and didn't want to make any assumptions on their services. Since they provide a shore excursion package I was weighing all my options. Thanks again.

Just back from Riviera and there was no shuttle in Venice. This is the longest walk of any of the ports we visited and in 90 degree heat took its toll on us all. There were many occasions when staff were called to provide wheelchair assistance to elderly guests who could walk no further. There were 2 other ships in port and they both had shuttles to Piazza Roma where the vaperetto's go into Venice. Many people complained at this poor service from Oceania. We went back to the ship mid afternoon due to the heat. It took us 30 mins to walk from the port entrance back to the ship. We had planned to go out in the evening for a gondala ride but could not face the long walk in the heat.

A very poor end to a good cruise and suggests Oceania is cutting back or simply got it very wrong on this occasion.

Just back from Riviera and there was no shuttle in Venice. This is the longest walk of any of the ports we visited and in 90 degree heat took its toll on us all. There were many occasions when staff were called to provide wheelchair assistance to elderly guests who could walk no further. There were 2 other ships in port and they both had shuttles to Piazza Roma where the vaperetto's go into Venice. Many people complained at this poor service from Oceania. We went back to the ship mid afternoon due to the heat. It took us 30 mins to walk from the port entrance back to the ship. We had planned to go out in the evening for a gondala ride but could not face the long walk in the heat.

A very poor end to a good cruise and suggests Oceania is cutting back or simply got it very wrong on this occasion.

Were you a Marittima and not San Basilio? Thanks.

Isn't there a people mover at the terminal to PL Roma ..I know it is a nominal fee but worth it if the heat was bad I would think :confused:

Isn't there a people mover at the terminal to PL Roma ..I know it is a nominal fee but worth it if the heat was bad I would think :confused:

The distance from the Ship(s) to the People Mover Station is great enough that the Maratime Port typically runs their own shuttle from the Mover to the Various Cruise Terminals (the Route of which is outlined by the yellow line in this photograph).

If Oceania was not running an Independant Shuttle, Passengers should have been able to use the Port sponsored Transport. If the Port Shuttle was ALSO NOT RUNNING, then it sounds as if something larger was afoot.

Venice-cruise-port-22.jpg

On our last visit to Venice, the Riviera originally docked at Terminal 117, and was later shifted to Terminal 106, so the distance is not inconsiderable.

Edited by JimandStan

The distance from the Ship(s) to the People Mover Station is great enough that the Maratime Port typically runs their own shuttle from the Mover to the Various Cruise Terminals (the Route of which is outlined by the yellow line in this photograph).

If Oceania was not running an Independant Shuttle, Passengers should have been able to use the Port sponsored Transport. If the Port Shuttle was ALSO NOT RUNNING, then it sounds as if something larger was afoot.

Venice-cruise-port-22.jpg

On our last visit to Venice, the Riviera originally docked at Terminal 117, and was later shifted to Terminal 106, so the distance is not inconsiderable.

I have read that the port sponsored shuttle if an iffy proposition and doesn't run all that frequently. How long did it take you to walk from terminal 106 to the people mover and/or Plaza Roma? Thanks.

I have read that the port sponsored shuttle if an iffy proposition and doesn't run all that frequently. How long did it take you to walk from terminal 106 to the people mover and/or Plaza Roma? Thanks.

Unless you are a very brisk and energetic walker, I'd say that you would have to budget at least half an hour to walk to the People Mover Station, and Forty to Fifty minutes to walk to the the Piazzale Roma.

The number and frequency of the Port Shuttle Busses seemed to depend on how many ships were in Port.

We were at the Maratime for four consecutive days, so we saw the full spectrum, and with a full compliment of Ships there was a shuttle every 20 to 30 minutes or so from about 8AM until 8PM, after which they slowed down to 1 every hour or So until Midnight when they stopped altogether.

crociere.gif

Unless you are a very brisk and energetic walker, I'd say that you would have to budget at least half an hour to walk to the People Mover Station, and Forty to Fifty minutes to walk to the the Piazzale Roma.

The number and frequency of the Port Shuttle Busses seemed to depend on how many ships were in Port.

We were at the Maratime for four consecutive days, so we saw the full spectrum, and with a full compliment of Ships there was a shuttle every 20 to 30 minutes or so from about 8AM until 8PM, after which they slowed down to 1 every hour or So until Midnight when they stopped altogether.

crociere.gif

Looking at the map we were docked in no 18 with an ex carnival ship at 20 and a RCCL at 107. There was no info from Oceania about how far it was to the people mover. The cost is Euro 1.30 but it took about 20 mins to walk to the people mover. We thought it was only a small distance on the people mover to Piazza Roma and so decided to walk back. Big mistake. The walking route is much longer than the people mover and took about 40 mins to get back to the ship. The other ship shad shuttles but not us.

Edited by Whiteowl

crociere.gif

Thanks for the info. Where do you pick up the free port shuttle?

We were on the same cruise. In the morning briefing from the CD there was mention of the Linea Alilaguna (a local marine transport) located close to the ships berth. Seemed to run rather frequently during the day.

As it was a warm day (85 I remember) and we had visited Venice several times before, we stayed on board to enjoy the fairly empty ship that day.

Edited by Noxequifans

We were on the same cruise. In the morning briefing from the CD there was mention of the Linea Alilaguna (a local marine transport) located close to the ships berth. Seemed to run rather frequently during the day.

As it was a warm day (85 I remember) and we had visited Venice several times before, we stayed on board to enjoy the fairly empty ship that day.

There was definitely no shuttle for Oceania passengers. The next door ship had a shuttle but it specifically said Iberocruises and the driver would not take Oceania passengers even though it was dropping off very close by.

There was definitely no shuttle for Oceania passengers. The next door ship had a shuttle but it specifically said Iberocruises and the driver would not take Oceania passengers even though it was dropping off very close by.

That would seem to imply that Iberocruises paid for the service and Oceania did not - just guessing here.

Where do you pick up the free port shuttle?

Leaving the ship, the Shuttles departed from just outside the security perimeter, returning to the ship there is a shuttle stop just across the road from the foot of the People Mover Station.

The Shuttle has a very informal set up, and although we very often started to walk if the Shuttle was not at our stop when we arrived, the drivers made an effort to stop and ask if we wanted a lift if they passed us as we walked.

Of course, if the Shuttle was full when it passed.....then all bets were off.

All this confirms my plan for any port: Find out options before I get there (taxi, public bus (no, I don't mind them, but you DO need local currency), walk, or whatever. If Oceania announces a shuttle the night before, do the happy dance and use it if it gets you where you want to go. Even when Oceania specifically arranges and pays for a shuttle (and yes, they do that sometimes - a particular port in the British Isles comes to mind) their ability to do that is not always successful, as they have to compete with other ships hiring buses, including other cruise lines (and Oceania) hiring buses for excursions, so availability can be an issue. Also, some shuttles or coaches don't run on Sundays, or a shuttle doesn't run during a lunch break (Helsinki comes to mind), so there is always a little uncertainty. Also, if you do some reading on the "Ports" boards you'll see that some cruise lines announce (or possibly arrange for a shuttle) but there is a charge for the shuttle. Some cruise lines do the same cruises back and forth, back and forth (and Iberocruises seems to fit in there, from what I've seen; so do Celebrity and Carnival Caribbean cruises) so certain cruise lines may have time and experience on their side.

Overall, we've found that shuttles in most ports we've been to over the past 5 years or so (Europe and Caribbean). Of course, if the ship is "right there" no shuttle is needed or provided.

Edited by roothy123

We too were on this cruise.

I struggle with walking and

The trek to the people mover was no joke!

Coming back we thought we would get a taxi from the people mover to the ship but none to be had!

I too noted the Ibero ship had a shuttle, had it have been at the people mover on our return I think I would have been a bit cheeky and tried to catch a ride!

As has said earlier ... A poor end to a superb holiday.

Oceania really need to address this as once in Venice getting around on the Vaporetti was easy and having bought a day ticket was good value for money.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Passengers on Crystal Cruise last year experienced the same issue in Venice, no shuttle as we had previously in this port. Not sure why, if it was a money saving thing or a local port issue. Needless to say the guests were not happy and it looked bad for Crystal as well. Crystal's president happened to be on board and he heard an earful. I haven't been back to Venice yet on Crystal, it will be interesting to see if anything has changed. The port shuttle, which was not always running and not well advertised, dropped us close to the ship (but still a short walk to the gangway) and brought us close to the elevator near the people mover to the train station. Given what the fees are for just riding in a water taxi ($100 per ride in some cases) I suspect that the once free shuttle was costing a small fortune. As for other ports, it sounds like Oceania and Crystal shuttle service is quite similar. Logistically it seems that these free shuttles are only busy a few times a day, leaving the shuttle bus nearly empty (3-5 people) for many hours throughout the day. The problem is that you can't just pay for a couple of hours of a day. It has to be a tough decision when and where to provide this free service. In my opinion, better safe than sorry. Just build the shuttle fees into the price of the cruise.

We were also on the cruise that recently ended in Venice. We were told that the People Mover was just outside the port, which is technically correct, but left out the long walk to leave the port. We didn't see a port shuttle bus as we were walking in either direction, though I believe I saw one the next day after disembarking.

If someone's main interest is getting from the ship to St. Marks Square, then the Alilaguna boat seems to be a quick and easy way to go. Several people we met did that. It leaves from within the port. They had the schedule on the Riviera.

• 2 weeks later...

2 weeks ago, In Corfu there was a shuttle to the port gate and then a shuttle to Old Town esplanade area. In Rome there is a shuttle to the port gate - very far away, then a city bus for 0.80 cents euro to the train station. Sorrento had a shuttle but it did not run until 9am and we were taking an early train to Pompeii. There is an elevator for 1.5 euro very nearby that goes to the upper town - not advertised by the ship at all.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk