Was she cranky or right- Disabled person in a group

At first I thought this person was just being really cranky, but I thought I would post the two situations on the board. A mother was travelling with her son in a wheel chair. I ran into her twice while on a cruise while she was complaining to staff and escalating to management.

Situation 1 - At Nassau the angle of the boarding ramp was steep. With in the first two seconds of her pushing the wheelchair up the ramp a crew member offered her assistance and helped her make it up the ramp. When she got in she started loudly complaining that the ramp wasn't ADA compliant. The crew members stated that the port supplies the platforms on the piers and also things like low tide sometimes make the angle steeper. She was not satisfied with this response and demanded to see someone in charge. They referred her to guest services (I sometimes feel really sorry for those folks).

Situation 2 - We did self-assist debarkation and again saw her down there complaining that there was no assistance on the self-assist debarkation.

At first I thought she was just being a negative person since in both situation the crew were very attentive, however I don't have any relatives who use a wheel chair or disabled so I thought I may be prematurely judging this person, any thoughts?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I vote cranky also. Self-assist means just that. If you need assistance other than yourself, don't choose that option.

Just as there are cranky able bodied people, there are cranky disabled people and family.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I'm pretty sure that I read on past cruises that in order to choose the "self assist" option to debark, they clearly state you must be able to manage yourself and all of your belongings. She's "one of those" people. I'm all for making things accessible (I have relatives who require handicapped accessible facilities, etc. due to wheelchair use), but some people really go overboard on the demands. I vote cranky. :rolleyes:

Edited by nunuc2000

I've had relatives in wheelchairs, and was even temporarily off my feet in one due to foot surgery... She has a lot of legitimate complaints about places that don't help those who are in a wheelchair... in this case, she's just looking for an excuse to whine... my vote is also 'cranky'...

CCL does offer wheelchair assistance for self-assist. However, they meet a bit later than do other self-assist. Additionally, they of course have to wait until staff/crew are available to assist. They also do it by VIFP level, as well, which might have also delayed her leaving the ship - because I truly doubt it is because they did not want to help her off! :D

I am a full time wheelchair user and I vote cranky. She had assistance on the ramp, no reason to complain. People like her make it harder for others to get help when we truly need it.

Thanks, I thought the crew handled it very well and didn't deserve what she was dishing out, but wanted the perspective of someone who had first hand experience travelling in a wheelchair since I have no idea what it is like.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

ADA wouldn't apply in a foreign country, and self-assist means just that. I vote cranky.

I vote demanding and self absorbed about being in a wheel chair. There's plenty of them out there, especially the ones who want to get to the front of the line and you later see them on the dance floor. It says right on the debarkation form that there's no assistance offered for self assist.

absolutely 101% CRANKY! self assist means SELF assist. she needs to read the paper!!! It says it right there. I have seen many people in wheelchairs with no problems make it up and down the ramps. she was being a crank ol witch (but change the w to a b)

ADA wouldn't apply in a foreign country, and self-assist means just that. I vote cranky.

Although it does not apply to a foreign country, it does apply to a foreign flagged passenger cruise ship. In June 2005, the Supreme Court has ruled that any foreign flagged cruise ship that stops in an American port of call or has an American port of embarkation/disembarkation, the ship must be in full compliance of the Americans with Disabilities Act or they cannot legally dock in any of the United States ports.

My vote is cranky as well.

I've cruised with my mother, who uses a wheelchair for long distances, and the crew were nothing but helpful with her. Even helped get her and the wheelchair on the tenders.

Although it does not apply to a foreign country, it does apply to a foreign flagged passenger cruise ship. In June 2005, the Supreme Court has ruled that any foreign flagged cruise ship that stops in an American port of call or has an American port of embarkation/disembarkation, the ship must be in full compliance of the Americans with Disabilities Act or they cannot legally dock in any of the United States ports.

Yes, true, but this happened in Nassau.

Same vote for me.

I too vote cranky. However, the woman probably is stressed more than most by having to deal with a disabled person and may have come across more disagreeable than most. Things happen and you deal with them as best you can. I am sure the staff was professional and helpful-as Carnival always is.

I vote demanding and self absorbed about being in a wheel chair. There's plenty of them out there, especially the ones who want to get to the front of the line and you later see them on the dance floor. It says right on the debarkation form that there's no assistance offered for self assist.

Self-entitled (cranky) for sure. I have been in a wheelchair twice in my life. It certainly gives you a different "view" of the world, but you still need to be a civil person when it comes to behaving in public.

As for ADA, with a human resources background, I am most familiar with these guidelines. The staff provided the "reasonable accommodation" assistance that would be required since they were present and wheeled her son up the ramp.

She was just looking for something to (w)itch about.