Long Cruise Review: May 30th Solstice to Alaska

jude8

Here are some of the sites on our way into Ketchikan and in the town.

Sunrise

297_zpsb2060d80.jpg

009fcd09-6386-48f8-b0c0-032935183be0_zps9544653b.jpg

325_zpsbc145d4d.jpg

327_zps03e6f551.jpg

I have the best story about this photo. A more mature gentleman and his wife were walking by this store and as a joke, he said to his wife maybe I need to get one of these. We were also walking by at the same time and I told him that he definitely needed to purchase it. They both burst out laughing and he turned bright red. :D

364_zpsd4db3bec.jpg

We were on May 23 sailing. We also loved Zeus! He always made a point of finding us and saying "hello"!!!

Just a little background:

My DH and I are from Orlando and we have been on a number of cruises on both Celebrity and Royal Caribbean. Living in Florida provides a nice luxury of the ability to drive to the port the day of with little hassle of travel. We are both in our late 30's (well actually my DH turned 40 on this cruise). I have also been diagnosed with a gluten free allergy so I will be commenting on that as well throughout this review.

I wrote this on the plane and hope to write as much as I can on this long trip home back to Florida. I wanted to do this because there were not a lot of new reviews when we left for our cruise so hopefully this will answer some of the questions I had before going and I will be glad to answer any others. I hope to post all of the Celebrity daily planners as soon as I can get them scanned and I will post some pictures of things around the ship and some of the menus as well as anything I might think you may be interested in for the cruise.

Pre-cruise

Packing

To get ready for our trip, we bought waterproof jackets and rain boots. We had baseball caps for the rain and snow caps for the cold if we needed them. Then we just brought layers: long sleeve shirts, sweaters, long underwear for under my jeans and thick thermal socks. We also bought binoculars for the trip and were so glad that we did for the whale and eagle spotting.

Drink package

We received the free classic package as part of the 1,2,3 go promotion. Because we love martinis, we upgraded for $21 a day to the premium package. This investment was totally worth it and nice not to have to worry about costs on the cruise.

Trip to Seattle

We left the Wednesday before our cruise on Friday, May 30th and got into Seattle late that night. Upon our arrival, we learned that Southwest had lost one of our suitcases and of course, it was the one with our toiletries!! Fortunately, I had divided up our clothing so we still had something to wear the next day. Southwest promised us that we would get our luggage within 24 hrs.

We took a town car for the same price of a cab at the airport and headed to the Fairmont Olympic Hotel. I am a Presidents’ Club member of the Fairmont (it is a free membership) and this allowed us early check in, the ability to retrieve our keys from the doorman, the ease of heading directly to room and free wifi. Thank goodness because it was already one o’clock in the morning, which was really three in the morning our time. For some reason, we had no hot water in the shower! What a lovely day!

However, the service and the room was extremely nice and we had no other problems during our stay. The hotel is also in a really good location to everything. We would book the Fairmont again for a decent rate.

The next morning, not holding our breath on Southwest's promise of luggage, we decided to go ahead and purchase a bunch of necessities from Target, Old Navy and the Gap. Then we figured if we didn’t need it, we can always return the items at home. After our shopping, we walked over to Pike Place Market to have a leisurely stroll. We have been to Seattle numerous times and this is always a favorite for us. We had dinner at Sazeracs down the street in the Hotel Monaco. The restaurant has a gluten free menu online but not in the restaurant for some reason. The server went through the menu as to what items I could eat and the restaurant provided quite a number of items for me to order. I had the roast chicken and DH had a hamburger, both of which were yummy and made with fresh ingredients. The restaurant also has a really good cocktail menu of different drinks that you normally can't get in other places.

At 3:30 am the day of the cruise, we received our suitcase. Praise The Lord! We finally could have a peaceful sleep.

Day One, Embarkation in Seattle

We left the hotel around 11:30 in a taxi to Pier 91. The cab fare was around $20 with tip and we headed into the port to get checked in and receive our sea passes.

We had booked Aquaclass cabin 1664. Priority check in as Aquaclass did not seem to matter. Check in was a disorganized mess and slow moving. When we got our keys, we were never told where to go so we just looked around and saw signs to the ship so we headed that way. This experience was very different from the Florida ports check in that seemed quick and efficient. The check ins that we have experienced in Florida always had you moving from one area to the next. In Seattle, this was one big room that was a chaotic mess. Lines were everywhere with cruise passengers not knowing where to go.

We finally got on the ship and we were handed our option of a welcome mimosa or champagne. This is always a nice touch by Celebrity. This was our first S class ship. It had a very modern appearance with dark woods and clean lines. The ship did not seem crowded for the duration of the trip. Even though the ship is the oldest of the S class, we did not see any wear and tear on her. The consistent critique that we had was the elevators and the inability to get one.

For lunch, we ate at Bistro on Five. It is $7 a person for whatever items you request. I had the steak crepe with a blue cheese sauce (really good) and the steak was thinly sliced, which made it easy to eat. DH liked his French crepe but said it was a tad too sweet for his taste. Service was good and I appreciate that they accommodated my gluten free allergy with gluten free crepes. The server said that it would take 20 minutes for them to create the batter. I stated that I did not mind; I was on vacation!

The cabins were available at 1 pm and so after lunch we headed to the room. The cabins are bright and roomy. Our cabin was 1664 and it was located towards the back of the ship. We had plenty of storage space and the bathroom seemed to be the biggest that we have had of any of the ships. Our balcony was angled and a little bigger than the normal ones. The shower head was the special one for the aquaclass guests and it was really fabulous! It was a spa-shower with multiple nozzles.

The bed and linens were comfortable and we had no problems sleeping throughout the cruise. The tv was interactive allowing for you to watch free movies on demand (good selection too), order room service (except for breakfast for some reason) and see your onboard account. We also had a wonderful stateroom attendant throughout our stay. We received our daily canapés that started out as a nice cheese plate with some fruit and by the end of the cruise was a cheese plate consisting of sandwich sliced cheese with no fruit, a little disappointing for us.

We were then able to unpack our clothes in time for the muster drill. Our drill location was in Silk Harvest and was quick and efficient. A video was shown and the location was comfortable because we were inside and there were tables and chairs.

The sail away out of Seattle was beautiful with sunny skies and clear. Everyone was out on deck to see it. The view was amazing as we have only ever been out of Florida ports.

We then went to dinner in Blu at 7:45. We had no problems getting a table for two. Ask for Zeus, he is by far one of the best servers in the restaurant. Food was light but really good. We did not ever feel over stuffed. That night, we both had the seafood napoleon which came with: scallops, mussels and shrimp over raw cucumbers in a light citrus sauce. The dish had a nice fresh flavor and the citrus sauce worked well with the seafood and the crunch of the cucumber. I had the corn soup; it was creamy and smooth with hints of bacon, corn, and chorizo. DH had the avocado soup. He did not like because it had cilantro which was not listed in ingredients and he has an allergy to it. We both had ahi tuna with forbidden rice with bok choy. All of it was cooked to perfection. There were two huge pieces of tuna on the plate seared on the outside and rare on the inside (per our request). For dessert, I ordered the dulce de leche creme brûlée which was good but creme brûlée is creme brûlée. DH had the trifle. For him, the trifle was not super sweet and loved the big chunks of morello cherries. The service was accommodating to my gluten allergy and each night, Zeus let me pick my food from the menu for the next day so I could eat whatever I wanted gluten free.

We then walked around checking everything out. We always like to explore floor by floor looking for any nooks and crannies as well as any unusual art around the ship. After a coffee drink at Cafe al Bacio, we headed to the 10:30 evening opening show. Cafe al Bacio does carry occasionally gluten free snacks. It really depended upon the time of day and the desserts were kept separately to avoid any cross contamination. The ones that I did have were all extremely good.

Opening night show consisted of songs throughout the decades with the by introducing the different ship musicians on the Solstice. Brent Nixon also came out and talked briefly about the Beyond The Podium series.

By the end of the show at 11:30, the ship was pretty much quiet so we headed to the room.

I have attached the dailies for the first day. Hope to get more uploaded tonight after work!

Wow! Thanks so much for the review & the pics!

I really hope that "undergarment" is still in the window when we get there!!

I did not see a long line for them so you should be okay! :D

Day Four, Tracy Arm & Juneau

This day was a huge roller coaster of highs and lows.

I got up around 4:00 am and DH moseyed outside around 5:30. At 6:00 am, Brent Nixon began narrating the trip on the way in and you could listen to him outside or on the television. We got room service for breakfast for the viewing on our balcony of the cruise into Tracy Arm. It is truly incredible. Everyone was outside bundled up and freezing to look at all of this amazing natural beauty. Pictures do not do it justice. There was amazing floating blue ice everywhere in the water. The cruise ship could not get further into the Arm to see the glacier because of the ice.

As a result, we were really glad that we had purchased the Celebrity excursion that lets you get off of the Solstice to get on a smaller Allen Marine boat to cruise further in to the Sawyer glacier. The driver and crew were great narrating the trip, taking photos with our cameras for free and pointing out any wildlife on the way.

This experience is truly the best way to see the glaciers because you are in the water, hair blowing in the wind, hearing the sounds of the ice calving and the thunderous rumble following it. We also saw harbor seals, whales and several bald eagles on the trip. I only had two critiques of this excursion: the constant pushing by staff to buy their items for sale whether it was food, books, or other merchandise; the other larger problem is that we were an hour late (which I will explain the major problem with this below). I would highly urge you to book this excursion with the scheduling issue noted below.

We returned to the ship that was at the tender dock at 2:00 when we were supposed to have arrived at 1:00 pm. Then the Allen Marine boat had a conflict with the Solstice crew and had no place for us to get off safely! Finally around 2:30ish we were on board again.

Now when we purchased this cruise, the itinerary originally had the Solstice docked in Juneau. As a result, we planned our excursions around this schedule. Then a few months before, I noticed the itinerary had change to tender. We had booked an independent whale watch excursion with Orca Enterprises at 3:30. If we were docked, making this 2nd excursion should have been no problem. If we returned to the ship at 1 pm, I could get in line right away for our tender tickets. But that is not what happened and tendering in Juneau is a nightmare so plan accordingly!

When we got back, we said screw lunch and headed straight to get the tickets. We were tender 49! We knew we were never going to make it. I also later learned that they gave all of the first tenders off of the ship to those participating in Celebrity excursions. I complained to one shore excursion staff member and told them that because of our delayed Celebrity run excursion, we could not get into line to get a tender ticket until late. She said too bad. Well being the stubborn woman that I am, I went to another shore excursion staff member and explained again in more detail what happened. She radioed the activities manager and then quietly whisked us away. We were on the next tender. We later learned that it had been requested of Celebrity to improve the docks so they could tender more than 2 boats at a time and Celebrity refused. Apparently, I believe it is supposed to be done and completed by 2016. We also learned that Princess built their own docks so the ships could plug directly into Juneau's power structure (pretty smart).

The walk was quite a bit away from town but we made it to the Orca Enterprises with ten minutes to spare. We grabbed some food and had a quick lunch. Then to my great delight, Brent Nixon, the Solstice's naturalist was going to be giving the guided tour portion on the bus to Mendenhall Glacier and the drive throughout and also going on the boat with us for the whale watch. This was one of the best experiences in my lifetime. We saw probably 12 humpback whales with some right near the boat, a bunch of whale tails and one eating on his/her side allowing us to see their mouth. Captain Larry knew exactly where to position the boat and his daughter and Kelly were also on the boat helping everyone look and take pictures. It was a small group so that you did not need to fight for viewing space. We also stopped for 40 minutes at Mendenhall Glacier. Several guys were jumping into the water for their rite of passage! It was great!

After all the mess with the tendering, both excursions will be forever in our memory books and would recommend them without hesitation. I would just try to book this cruise when the Solstice is docked!

Had a quick meal at Blu, a couple of martinis at our usual haunts and crashed from the really long day.

The show that night was focused on the different styles of dance at 10:15. We did not make it. We were too pooped from all of the excitement and craziness!

Celebrity Today, 6.2.14 Page 1.pdf

Celebrity Today, 6.2.14 Page 2.pdf

Celebrity Today, 6.2.14 Page 3.pdf

Celebrity Today, 6.2.14 Page 4.pdf

Features of the Day 6.2.14.pdf

Hi, really enjoying your review and your pictures are awesome:)

After a 6 year Hiatus I am going back to Alaska next summer:D

Funny how things work out.....I went in 2006, 2008 and 2009......

I think 2015 will be just fine (especially since I can't go this year LOL).

I LOVED all 3 cruises there and very much looking forward to it

again:)

Captain Larry

753_zps8ebc649e.jpg[/url]

Brent Nixon & Kelly

752_zps0bd8efc1.jpg

749_zps28b945e9.jpg

738_zps723012e8.jpg[/url]

734_zps54b6899f.jpg

A tail from a distance. Did not have enough time to zoom in. Will edit later to get closer view of it!

733_zps9c279773.jpg

Hi, really enjoying your review and your pictures are awesome:)

After a 6 year Hiatus I am going back to Alaska next summer:D

Funny how things work out.....I went in 2006, 2008 and 2009......

I think 2015 will be just fine (especially since I can't go this year LOL).

I LOVED all 3 cruises there and very much looking forward to it

again:)

We loved it so much in Alaska. We were already planning our next cruise to Alaska to include Denali on the plane ride back to Florida!

Day 5 Skagway

We woke up to rainy weather. Finally, our waterproof jackets could be put to use (seriously the weather so far had been cold but beautiful)!

We had room service delivered for breakfast. It was really good and they even provided me with gluten free toast. We also had some smoothies that were not that great but it was not a deal breaker for us.

We headed out to our excursion with Chilkoot Tours that we booked on our own. We had booked the Bennett Scenic excursion that was a guided bus tour up to Emerald Lake and then the scenic train ride back. It was the tour with the longest train ride up/down to Canada. You will need your passports!

On the bus tour up, our guide, Mike, was a local that grew up in Skagway and really loved living in Skagway. He was funny and informative. We made several stops along the way at various lookouts so we could take pictures. He offered to take lots of pictures with our cameras for us thus minimizing our up the nose shot selfies! He would also slow down at various parts along the way so we could get pictures as well.

After Emerald Lake, he took us to the train depot so we could catch the train. The scenery was just beautiful and on the way down on the train, we stopped at Bennett Station for lunch. I had requested on my reservation a gluten free meal and they actual accommodated my request. I had brought my own food just in case. It was such a nice surprise that they had a delicious vegetable soup for me. My husband had the mulligan stew which he said tasted like good beef stew. They also provided everyone with a slice of apple pie. It began to thunder and lightning while we were eating there. I felt like I was back in Florida with our daily afternoon thunderstorms! After our lunch, we got back on the train and headed down the mountains. We got to observe some amazing sights of waterfalls, lakes and mountain views with even a bear sitting next to the railroad tracks having lunch.

We had another great day in Alaska. Another great excursion and highly recommend Chilkoot.

We decided to eat at Silk Harvest that night. It is the Asian specialty restaurant that costs $35 per person. I was concerned of eating at this location because of my gluten allergy. The maître d promised that it should not be a problem and it was not. Needless to say, we got our money's worth! We ate four courses of food including two starters of Pork & Shrimp Potstickers and Shrimp Tempura (gluten free), Miso soup, two rolls of sushi (both gluten free), two entrees of Orange Chicken and Crispy Fried Asian Sea Bass (both gluten free) and for dessert Lemongrass Crème Brulee. The food was really good and we were happy with the quality for the price. I was really excited to have some of these dishes because I have not had them since my celiac (gluten allergy) diagnosis five years ago.

We hung out at the Martini Bar for awhile and then headed to Cafe al Bacio where I may have taken a ton of those special chocolates to snack on in the room.

We were really wiped by this point: 2 excursions in Juneau and one over 8 hours in Skagway. We hoped we could finally sleep in tomorrow from exhaustion and take advantage of some much need relaxation on the Solstice's second sea day.

The exhaustion was worth it because by this point we were really loving everything Alaska.

Celebrity Today, 6.3.14 Page 1.pdf

Celebrity Today, 6.3.14 Page 2.pdf

Celebrity Today, 6.3.14 Page 3.pdf

Celebrity Today, 6.3.14 Page 4.pdf

Features of the Day 6.3.14.pdf

Day Six, Sea Day

This was our day of rest. Got up had breakfast and then went back to sleep.

Well actually my husband slept and I watch several movies. This was also my dear husband's 40th birthday.

We then went to lunch at the buffet and thought everything looked yucky. I also did not feel like hunting after a staff member to find out what items were gluten free or not. It has been nice on previous cruises on Royal Caribbean when the food items are labeled with the ingredients and the food allergies. So we decided to head to Mast Grill to eat outside in the sun for a bit. We both had hamburgers and fries (my bunless, no gluten free buns L).

We went to another one of Brent Nixon's lectures on Orcas. I just can't emphasize how good he is.

We then walked around for a bit and then headed back to the room to get ready for the second formal night at Blu. Another perk of Blu, beside the amazing service and quiet atmosphere is that formal attire is not required! We both wore nice pants and shirts but no dressing up! We have to wear suits everyday for work so for us we really don't want to on our vacation.

After dinner we caught a bit of the cirque like show and then watched some karaoke! We love karaoke and on the Allure, we attended every night so we were excited to see it on the Solstice. I just wish there were more nights of it. We headed next to our normal haunts of the Martini Bar and the Ensemble Lounge listening to our favorite musical acts of Acoustic Image Trio and Fade to Blu.

Day Seven, Victoria

We got up and then headed to a double header of the Beyond the Podium shows at 9:00/10:00 am. The first was Titanic: Last Song by Mary Amanda (Miss Amanda) that was the story of the musicians on the titanic and the search of the last song played before the sinking of the Titanic. The presentation on this musical history was interesting and something completely new to me.

The next lecture was by Brent Nixon. Before the show began, he revealed a special secret about himself (which I am not going to tell, you will have to go to find out!). He then presented on the difference between seals and sea lions including reenacting their movements by lying on his stomach and moving around the stage!

We then checked out the hot glass show. My only tip is that you should get there early to get a good seat and don't wait until the last day to see it. The place was packed and everyone was fighting for seats and blankets.

On a side note, on the pool deck, the ship provides warm blankets in the same locations that the towels are located. This was really nice so you could be outside and stay warm.

We sadly went back to the room and began to pack. When we returned we also found out that we qualified to have luggage valet for $20 per person. We were so relieved because we had a 11 am flight back to Orlando and wanted to walk off the ship with no problems.

At around 6 pm, it was announced that passengers could leave the ship to head into Victoria. We waited until around 6:45 after the crowds were gone and took the shuttle bus for $10 per person roundtrip into downtown. We saw the Fairmont Empress Hotel and walked around the streets and along the water. Per the recommendation of fellow cruisers at Blu, we ate at Ferris Grill. My DH was thrilled to have poutine and I had a falafel sandwich. It was great service and food in a gastropub atmosphere. We walked back to the bus to head back to the ship to say goodbye!

Departure

We woke up and got dressed. At 7:30 am, we headed to the elevators which were packed and not stopping at our floor for some reason. Because we had the luggage valet, we just headed down the stairs with no problems. We were off the ship at 7:48 and after a cab ride to the airport, we were at our gate for the flight by 8:50 a.m. We went through the security checkpoint 3 and there was no one in line at all so it was a breeze.

Will give my overall thoughts of the cruise and experience in my next post.

Overall Thoughts

Here are some of our overall thoughts about the cruise.

We had a wonderful time in Alaska.

Room and room attendant were fabulous.

Elevators were terrible. When in doubt, just take the stairs.

Blu is worth the additional cost for the food and service. I don't think we had a bad item there other than the lobster tail on formal night. We tried to go around 8 every night and usually it was less crowded then and you could get a good table with a window view. We sat next to some of the same couples every night and it was nice to chat with them about their day.

We did not really like the buffet. We loved Silk Harvest and Bistro on Five. We did not eat at the other specialty restaurants because we had eaten at Murano before on other ships. We thought that the other free food options were extremely limited. You were mostly dependent upon the buffet for snack items and desserts at Cafe al Bacio.

Music around the ship was really good. We never intended to go see anyone of them but we would end up at the Martini Bar or Ensemble Lounge and were always really pleased. Both of these venues became our favorite hang outs. The Martini Bar was always busy with everyone having a good time and by the end of the night passengers had moved to the Ensemble Lounge for a more subdued drinking environment.

The shops were the usual suspects and one store was specific to Alaska items which was nice to have something different. We did notice that when we were just walking by we were repeatedly handed some flyer for the next shopping event or contest.

Entertainment was not as exciting as Royal Caribbean level but it was okay. We did not attend most of the nightly shows because the musical acts were just not that interesting to us to go. The level of activities was extremely limited on this ship especially during the sea days. I was surprised on sea days the low amount and it seemed like a bunch would be all scheduled at the same time. We are not into bingo or the art auctions. The library and card game tables were always very busy which in my mind says a lot about the other activities on the ship.

Fortunately, I was a huge Brent Nixon and Mary Amanda fan so that kept us busy as well as all of our excursions. They both are amazing and really inspired all of us to care!

Overall, we thought the level of service has gone down for Celebrity except for a few of the staff members and Zeus. Bar service was either wonderful or terrible. Some of this was the result of attitudes by staff and some of this was because the ship seemed extremely understaffed. We were intentionally ignored several times and I wonder if this is because of the drink package or everyone was just so busy.

We also remember the days in the buffet, when they would bring buffet tray to the table for you and take your drink orders at the table. A few of the staff would always remember to state our name after serving us but not like they used to back in the day. I used to distinguish Royal Caribbean with Celebrity in that Celebrity excelled at top notch service and I was willing to pay a little more for it. I just don't think that is the case anymore and it make us a little sad. I don’t know if this will be our last cruise with Celebrity or not.

I would go on this ship again for Brent Nixon with good service or not.

We will definitely be returning to Alaska, hopefully sooner rather than later! J

I hope this helpful to all those looking to go to Alaska on the Solstice. I would be glad to answer any other questions and thank you everyone for all your compliments and support of this review.

Great report ! Lots of helpful information and wonderful photos. Thanks for taking the time to share.

And thanks for linking it to the 2014 Trip Report List. The list is growing and getting lots of views. These trip reports are such a great resource for people. People who are cruising this summer and excited to see what's ahead for them, and people who are planning for next summer get a better idea of what to plan for. :)

Great report ! Lots of helpful information and wonderful photos. Thanks for taking the time to share.

And thanks for linking it to the 2014 Trip Report List. The list is growing and getting lots of views. These trip reports are such a great resource for people. People who are cruising this summer and excited to see what's ahead for them, and people who are planning for next summer get a better idea of what to plan for. :)

Thank you so much. Last years reviews and these forums have been invaluable to me so I was glad to help in any way I can. This was my first review on cruise critic!

I was very surprised to hear that the buffet was so bad and you couldn't find anything to your liking. I have cruised with Celebrity three times and my fourth is in just a few days. Maybe cruises that Celebrity does in Europe are just better ??? My DH and I have never had a bad breakfast/lunch at anytime in the buffet; we are a little picky too. It might just be the ship? :eek: Although, you did seem to enjoy most of the cruise. if you haven't been to Europe, you really need to go; to me cruising Europe coupled with a land tour is absolute paradise. Yes, I have cruised to Alaska with friends. My DH got food poisoning, but it was on another line which I won't mention or use again. We were kayaking and lunch was tainted.

Thanks for your personal review and excellent photos. I wish you the best on your next cruise...

Edited by Lastdance

We're booked on the Allen marine tour off the Solstice in Tracy Arm in August.

Did you have an option to get off in Juneau or did you have to get off on the ship.

We tendered last year too and it was a mess.

We booked the week that we did because it said it was going to dock in Juneau and then like you it changed.

We can't wait to go back and do some of the things we didn't do last year. The Tracy Arm and Juneau day is the best for us so losing time tendering isn't good.

Thanks for the great review and pics. Especially for posting the dailies.