Special Services Tipping

djslate

Hello CC,

We just returned from a wonderful week on the NCL Gem. We were lucky enough to score a Garden Villa with all the perks.

So now, playing Monday Morning Quarterback and looking back at our experience... I have to ask the question with the following facts in mind:

Garden Villa

7 Day Cruise

5 people (2 adults - 3 kids)

Tips:

Butler - $500 (not in tip pool)

Concierge - $400 (not in tip pool)

Steward - $200 (this is the one I wonder most about - I understand that they are in the tip pool, so $200 is an "extra" thank you)

Cagney's Waiter - extra $50 (pooled in service charges as well)

Haven Courtyard Attendant - $50 (we didn't really use the courtyard - but I wanted to acknowledge his service)

I just have to put my mind at ease that I didn't "stiff" these people.

Any thoughts? (no flames please)

Edited by djslate
wording

The topic of tipping suite staff is always interesting. The amounts are all over the place. And then of course someone always adds in the worthless "appropriate amount" - whatever that means.

Anyways, the #1 factor in my book is the service provided. For example, some people have the concierge book every single event, and others never ask the concierge to do anything. Or, if a certain staff member did a crappy job or a great job.

But - based on what you mentioned above and not knowing much about your requests/demands, I would say you tip very well. You surely did not stiff them.

The funny thing is, we didn't ask for much from our Butler or Concierge. They INSISTED on taking care of us (a good relationship, I think). We couldn't walk out of our room without one of them being there to grab us an elevator, ask what we needed or walk us from point A to point B. It was a little overwhelming as we are not demanding or needy people. :)

We miss our Zahid and Carlos. They spoiled us... hence, why I wanted to give a bit more for them (I have seen repeatedly that $10 per day per person was a good starting point and adjust up or down based on usage and service provided).

For these two superstars, I could only adjust upwards. :)

Hello CC,

We just returned from a wonderful week on the NCL Gem. We were lucky enough to score a Garden Villa with all the perks.

So now, playing Monday Morning Quarterback and looking back at our experience... I have to ask the question with the following facts in mind:

Garden Villa

7 Day Cruise

Tips:

Steward - $200 (this is the one I wonder most about - I understand that they are in the tip pool, so $200 is an "extra" thank you)

Haven Courtyard Attendant - $50 (we didn't really use the courtyard - but I wanted to acknowledge his service)

No flames here! I think you were very generous and I'm sure they appreciated it.

We missed you guys at the Meet & Greet!

UGH! I feel so bad about the M&G.

I finally met Bonni and explained what happened. I put the time in my phone as 1pm and not 11am (not sure what I was thinking).

I even had snacks and drinks and such setup for the cabin crawl. I felt so bad. :(

Your numbers are almost identical to ours from the Jewel two weeks ago, six people in GV. You were a bit more generous to the concierge than we were, and we didn't tip the courtyard attendant (never set foot in the courtyard except for the suites cocktail party). We tipped our Cagney's waiters each time we dined there ($4-5 per person per meal approx) since we dined at different times or not at all. You were very generous in my eyes!

Robin

The funny thing is, we didn't ask for much from our Butler or Concierge. They INSISTED on taking care of us (a good relationship, I think). We couldn't walk out of our room without one of them being there to grab us an elevator, ask what we needed or walk us from point A to point B. It was a little overwhelming as we are not demanding or needy people. :)

We miss our Zahid and Carlos. They spoiled us... hence, why I wanted to give a bit more for them (I have seen repeatedly that $10 per day per person was a good starting point and adjust up or down based on usage and service provided).

For these two superstars, I could only adjust upwards. :)

We had Zahid last summer and will be on the Gem again in July - hoping he is still there and will be out Butler again. He was great! Do you happen to know if he will still be on the Gem in July? Kadek was our Concierge last year, not sure if he is still there or not.

I finally met Bonni and explained what happened. I put the time in my phone as 1pm and not 11am (not sure what I was thinking).

I even had snacks and drinks and such setup for the cabin crawl. I felt so bad. :(

I do stuff like that all the time! No worries!

I'm sorry we missed the suite gathering. Something else was going on at the same time. Of course, I can't remember what that was...

Edited by GSLMOM
Typo

We had Zahid last summer and will be on the Gem again in July - hoping he is still there and will be out Butler again. He was great! Do you happen to know if he will still be on the Gem in July? Kadek was our Concierge last year, not sure if he is still there or not.

I thought he told one of the kids that we was going to be off ship soon, but when I asked him he said no and kind of laughed like he didn't have time off in sight. He is a great butler and treated us like royalty. Anyone would be lucky to have either Zahid or Carlos at their service.

Hello CC,

Garden Villa

7 Day Cruise

Tips:

Those tips are a bit on the low side for a GV, but to each his own.

In response to your original question, part of what I factor in to the tipping question are two questions: 1) was I happy to give what I did, or did I do it out of guilt, and 2) did I give more than I can afford to give? Of course, all the other questions that outweigh those two are: is it appropriate for the amount of assistance given, was I cheap, etc. But I do ask my two questions also.

About the time on the phone issue, when I travel to my son's house two time zones away, if I put an event onto my iPhone calendar, when I get home it is two hours off. I don't know how to adjust for the time difference, but I wonder if that is what happened to you. :confused:

Those tips are a bit on the low side for a GV, but to each his own.

I was going to say the opposite. I thought it seemed high. Lol! I think it really depends on what they asked of the Butler and the Concierge.

I was leaning more towards $12 per day per person for the Butler and $5 per day per person for the Concierge and Room Steward (each).

I've heard horror stories of people not even tipping in the GV except for the daily pool.

I was going to say the opposite. I thought it seemed high. Lol! I think it really depends on what they asked of the Butler and the Concierge.

I was leaning more towards $12 per day per person for the Butler and $5 per day per person for the Concierge and Room Steward (each).

I've heard horror stories of people not even tipping in the GV except for the daily pool.

I was thinking the same thing, but then again the expectation may be higher in the GV? I do have a question though. We are heading on a 14 day cruise. Is it recommended that we tip half way through the cruise and at the end because it is so long or just at the end? The last time we tipped our butler at the end of the cruise but it was only a 7 day cruise. Just wondering if it's different because of the length? Thoughts?

I was thinking the same thing, but then again the expectation may be higher in the GV? I do have a question though. We are heading on a 14 day cruise. Is it recommended that we tip half way through the cruise and at the end because it is so long or just at the end? The last time we tipped our butler at the end of the cruise but it was only a 7 day cruise. Just wondering if it's different because of the length? Thoughts?

We have done 14, 12, and 10 day cruises, always tipping at the end. It is up to you. Do what ever you feel comfortable with.