First P&O cruise coming up...

Owlhelm

Hi all,

As the title says we're off on our first P&O cruise having cruised with Princess and Costa previously.

As this was only booked yesterday (and we're off in just over a fortnight), a couple of questions immediately spring to mind when looking over the P&O website and the threads here.

1. Taking alcohol on board. How much is 'reasonable'? Or more to the point, in P&O's eyes how much is reasonable? The onboard prices seem very reasonable, but I was just wondering how much people have taken on board successfully, or tried to take on unsuccessfully.

2. Dinners. Ok, 4 formal nights on a 14 nighter is more than we're used to (2 on Princess 14 nights, and Costa? Well, it's Costa!). My question is regards the menus. Do the menus show a hike in quality/ingredients on ALL the formal nights, or is there one gala dinner and the rest are as smart and casual nights?

Thanks in advance, I have no doubt I will be asking more stupid question in the next couple of weeks.

Cheers

Martin

Just back and we took two bottles of Champagne and six cans of beer, one bottle of wine on board, and no questions at all.

But as you say prices on board are reasonable, we were drinking wines with dinner at around£14 or £15 a bottle, and they were all very acceptable.

Sue

Thanks re the drinks advice. Wine box it is! :D

We are currently on Ventura, 2 formal nights done, 2 to go. As Ventura has the Marco Pierre White restaurant, the formal menu is apparently designed by him. A hike in quality? Hmmmm!

I'm getting an undercurrent of "the formal menus are no better than any other". I'm somewhat disappointed. What's the point of going to the hassle of bringing the formal gear and making the effort, if the cruise line isn't going to - especially when they insist on the formal attire!

Can anyone confirm or deny this? (I'm hoping the Ventura kitchen is to blame for Rich's comment...).

Cheers.

M.

The first formal night the menu is usually hiked e.g. lobster, duck breast, fillet steak, following the welcome on board cocktail party. Other formals also have a slightly better choice particularly the formal/black and white night. Which ship are you on?

Hi Owlhelm

The Formal nights always have an upgraded menu eg:

Beef Wellington, Lobster, Pheasant, Venison.

Normal nights you should get Roast rib of Beef, Duck, Various Fish, etc the food is not as bad as described on this and other forums I sometimes wonder what types of meals some passengers experience at home. My wife and I are both good cooks and do not as a norm eat junk food, or convenience foods all our meals at home are prepared fresh at home and we have never experienced bad food on P&O bearing in mind seasoning is a very personal thing.

Hi Owlhelm

The Formal nights always have an upgraded menu eg:

Beef Wellington, Lobster, Pheasant, Venison.

Normal nights you should get Roast rib of Beef, Duck, Various Fish, etc the food is not as bad as described on this and other forums I sometimes wonder what types of meals some passengers experience at home. My wife and I are both good cooks and do not as a norm eat junk food, or convenience foods all our meals at home are prepared fresh at home and we have never experienced bad food on P&O bearing in mind seasoning is a very personal thing.

This is on the Oriana? I think I'm going to have to go on a diet both before and after our cruise:D

I have always enjoyed my food on Oriana and other cruises, but I tend to come home 2 pounds lighter. We never use the lifts, we do our 3 laps of the Prom Deck every morning and we walk a lot when ashore. I'm sure I eat more than I do at home, although I am not a dessert eater, but I always come home less.

Hi babs135

I am diabetic and have to watch what I eat I do not request diabetic menus I am just careful, I try to avoid deserts not always successful but I always put on a few pounds. I do not eat Pizzas at home but I do like the pizzas they do on Azura and Ventura and they will make you a pizza of choice as long as they are not busy and have the ingredients my better half and I like basic Maghareta with pepperoni, lots of chillis and onions,and peppers the staff always laugh when we ask for lots of chillis as they say the British do not like chillis or spice.

I do hope you enjoy your cruise and look forward to your feedback, I am a glass half full type of person and do not go out of my way to look for faults and have enjoyed every cruise I have been on.

Hear hear to jeanlyon and sanjam! Make the most of it, you can keep fit and not put on too much weight..plus keep thinking glass half full!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Thanks everyone.

Just need to pop out and buy a couple of pairs of trousers with a bit more give in them than the ones I have at the mo. I guess I am at the elasticated waistline time of life. :rolleyes:

:D

Cheers

Martin

Hear hear to jeanlyon and sanjam! Make the most of it, you can keep fit and not put on too much weight..plus keep thinking glass half full!

rum and coke or whisky and ginger !!!!

Thanks everyone.

Just need to pop out and buy a couple of pairs of trousers with a bit more give in them than the ones I have at the mo. I guess I am at the elasticated waistline time of life. :rolleyes:

:D

Cheers

Martin

Sadly already on the elasticated waist trousers; I wonder how far they will stretch? :D

Need to work out how you add those comments to individual comments!

You mean the quotes? By clicking the quote button, or by clicking the multi-quote buttons for multiple posts then the Post Reply button :D

M.

1. Taking alcohol on board. How much is 'reasonable'? Or more to the point, in P&O's eyes how much is reasonable? The onboard prices seem very reasonable, but I was just wondering how much people have taken on board successfully, or tried to take on unsuccessfully.

2. Dinners. Ok, 4 formal nights on a 14 nighter is more than we're used to (2 on Princess 14 nights, and Costa? Well, it's Costa!). My question is regards the menus. Do the menus show a hike in quality/ingredients on ALL the formal nights, or is there one gala dinner and the rest are as smart and casual nights?

We took on 3 bottles of red, a bottle of white and a bottle of champagne. We (actually 'I') also made good use of the bars because the prices were very favourable. We also had glasses of wine or beer at the dinner table. P & O didn't really lose out with us at all.

Menus were slightly better on the formal nights but to be honest there were so many choices available that it was to us, a near perfect menu each evening.

Enjoy your cruise, we did.

Thanks owlhelm, but once I have opened my iPad App "cruise critic" I just can't see any mention of the word "quote".. Although I do think it was there on the website version...sorry to be a bit thick...

You mean the quotes? By clicking the quote button, or by clicking the multi-quote buttons for multiple posts then the Post Reply button :D

M.

Worked it out!!

We have not seen Beef Wellington or Fillet Steak on the menu for maybe 3 years now. Lobster yes,and can have ordinary sirloin any night.Gala night the menu is now just a bit fancier than normal.Lemon for Salmon is now wrapped in a muslin bag.!!!!! :rolleyes:

We have not seen Beef Wellington or Fillet Steak on the menu for maybe 3 years now. Lobster yes,and can have ordinary sirloin any night.Gala night the menu is now just a bit fancier than normal.Lemon for Salmon is now wrapped in a muslin bag.!!!!! :rolleyes:

We had Beef Wellington last year on Aurora. It was a long cruise.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app