16 year old grandson in solarium issue

LOL, that is so funny, Gregg, and i totally agree, some are not happy unless they are miserable;) Around here we call them Red Sox fans;):p

After three championships, those Sox fans have turned into pushovers. My in-laws are all Bostonians and I couldn't watch a game with them before '04. I consider myself a die hard fan but those guys were rabid. Now they're getting up for beers in the middle of the inning. Who does that??? :confused::D

Years ago, my DD hit 16 just before our Serenade cruise. She made a bee-line for the solarium on boarding day and was the first one in the hot tub and the pool that day ... although no one else was in there yet. To my knowledge, she hasn't been back. Either she got it out of her system, or it's just too sedate for her. Her "place in the sun" (literally) is always a chair on the sun deck overlooking the activity at the main pool.

Agree. I would rather quiet 14, 15 year olds over obnoxious adults. On our Allure cruise there was a group of very loud supposed adults in the pool all day long, amd I do mean ALL day, getting a steady stream of drinks from the bar staff. We sat as far from the pool as possible and it was still pretty annoying. The rules state 16 and over which they were. Actually glad there were not kids there :eek: they would have gotten some education. On the other hand if quiet younger kids were there maybe they would have toned it down, but doubt it.

Me too. I've said this before but I really struggle with adults who drink all day getting sunburnt and dribbling ketchup all over the floor. Give me teens any day.

I always wonder why people need a pool patrol or security to tell people the solarium is an adult-only place. On Liberty, a young mom with a toddler came to the solarium and took a lounge-chair. I went to her and told her politely that kids are not allowed here. Turned out, she spoke only French, did not see the sign, apologized, thanked me for informing her and left.

On Oasis, a couple with a stroller came into the solarium and took the chairs next to me, stroller with kid in between. I told them politely that kids are not allowed here and the answer was: "But he's asleep!" Yeah, great... :rolleyes:

You see, you can always tell people about the rules in a friendly way. Some understand, some don't. That's life. No need to watch them like a hawk, just at least TRY to speak to them.

I always wonder why people need a pool patrol or security to tell people the solarium is an adult-only place. On Liberty, a young mom with a toddler came to the solarium and took a lounge-chair. I went to her and told her politely that kids are not allowed here. Turned out, she spoke only French, did not see the sign, apologized, thanked me for informing her and left.

On Oasis, a couple with a stroller came into the solarium and took the chairs next to me, stroller with kid in between. I told them politely that kids are not allowed here and the answer was: "But he's asleep!" Yeah, great... :rolleyes:

You see, you can always tell people about the rules in a friendly way. Some understand, some don't. That's life. No need to watch them like a hawk, just at least TRY to speak to them.

I don't think I would have had a problem with a sleeping baby. That's even less noise than most adults in the solarium who drop off to sleep and start snoring. Theoretically you are correct, but I would have been well miffed if someone had said that to me. Sorry :o

Also, people tell security because they are following the correct procedure, its being hypocritical to tell someone they are breaking the rules when you are not following protocol yourself.

Edited by Adayatatime

Also, people tell security because they are following the correct procedure, its being hypocritical to tell someone they are breaking the rules when you are not following protocol yourself.

And there are people who prefer to be told in a polite and discreet way instead of making a big circus by calling security. I don't think anybody was ever offended when I did this. Especially on Liberty I can absolutely understand that someone oversees the signs that say 16 and above only because everybody walks through (or almost) on their way from the elevators to the pools anyway. Most people don't do it on purpose.

Oh man am I going to be asked repeatedly on my cruise in February if I am allowed to be in the solarium pool. At that point I will be 5 months shy of 40( :() but I look like I'm barely 22.

Actually this is rather funny. Last year we went out to celebrate my dads 83rd bday. So I was with my DH, my 9 year old DD and my 5 year old DD. Well here I am sitting with my kids and DH, wedding ring on my hand, and the waitress cards me for a glass of wine. I looked at her and ask if she was kidding. I then said I am with my almost 10 year old DD, and you are questioning me if I am 21. If I wasn't 21, that would have meant that I had my daughter when I was 11!!! :eek: Some people have absolutely no clue.

Not to take this too far off topic, but how does the waitress know that was your child and how long the ring has been on your hand, etc, etc?

More and more stores are requiring to check the dob of everyone purchasing alcohol. So, yes, this 60+ grandmother gets asked for her dob when purchasing wine at the grocery she shops at every week. :rolleyes:

Back on topic, it is not my roll to question or tell people where they can or cannot be, the cruise line has staff for that job. But we also have once again, everyone with their - my 14 or 15 year old graduate of Harvard is better behaving than my drunken sister.

Thing is - it is a quiet, boring area with a very nice pool and hot tub. Why would any teen want to hang around a bunch of old foggies?

Also - JUST BECAUSE SOME ADULTS ON THE SHIP THINK THERE SHOULD BE SOME ACTUAL ADULT AREAS DO NOT MAKE US CHILD HATERS. and yes, I was yelling.

Edited by temple1

And there are people who prefer to be told in a polite and discreet way instead of making a big circus by calling security. I don't think anybody was ever offended when I did this. Especially on Liberty I can absolutely understand that someone oversees the signs that say 16 and above only because everybody walks through (or almost) on their way from the elevators to the pools anyway. Most people don't do it on purpose.

Yes, but you're not in a position to tell someone else what to do. You may think they are OK about it, but they may also react in a negative way, and then you have a bigger problem on your hands. That is why you, as well as they, should follow the rules.

I personally would be extremely put out if a fellow passenger decided to take the approach of telling me what to do, but I would on the other hand listen to someone with the authority to tell me.

I'm not trying to not to be picky, but you are relying on others not taking issue with you, when you are taking issue with them.

I personally would be extremely put out if a fellow passenger decided to take the approach of telling me what to do, but I would on the other hand listen to someone with the authority to tell me.

Oh, I'm so sorry to hear that. If you obey the rules, it' can't happen to you, no worries :D:p.

I get why they have the rule but there was a young couple in there with their 5 or 6 year-old daughter on my Navigator cruise and a woman sitting across from me watched them like a hawk all the while huffing and puffing and complaining to the guy sitting next to her. Finally one of the staff approached the family, there was a short polite conversation and they left. The woman threw up her hands as if to say, "what took you so long." I was waiting for her to start clapping. I too was relieved to see the family go only because I feared having to do CPR on the lady if they stayed any longer. I'm not sure why people let such things get to them. The kid wasn't even acting up.

I agree with you. Unless someone is directly interfering with my enjoyment I barely notice anything. I suppose those who moan constantly supply me with a source of amusement, but that is all. i'm not saying rules should be broken, but its really none of my business, and I don't want it to be my business.

In the same way that others have to prove they are 21 in order to drink,

In years to come he like the rest of us will wish that someone would ask if they are old enough to do something expect die. :D

since the age limit is indeed 16 there is no issue, however he may be asked to confirm he is actually 16.

There's a policy to go to security or other staff to report children in the solarium?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Forums mobile app

In the RCI contract, it states that if you see anyone breaking any of the rules you have two options:

1. Speak with security about it.

2. Throat punch them.

On the Allure a woman next to me was asked how old she was when we were in the Solarium and she was really angry that they questioned her because she was 31! I didn't know her but I told her she should be glad that someone assumes she's that much younger! I think if people look young they might get questioned, its just part of the deal

My daughter in law who is 4'11" and thin, and has always looked very young. We took my son and her for dinner at a local restaurant, when she was 25, and they charged us for a children's meal! She never had a problem about not looking her age. Now that she is nearing 40- she could pass for 25! I call that lucky and as you say the lady should be flattered!

However her daughters also look very young and are petite- the 16 year old does get offended when they think she is 12! But at 16, I understand that the kids get insulted-not 31!

I saw a family with a child that couldn't have been more than 10 in the Silver Vista car on our Durango/Silverton train trip last year. The age limit is 16 and up, and that's one of the reasons I pay extra. So I don't have kids getting in front of my camera while shooting. (But kids aren't the only ones stepping in front of me during my pictures.) I was trying to shoot a picture of a lake with an interesting rock in the foreground, and this lady plunked her butt down on the rock while I was composing. Should have said something.

Back to the Durango story, I mentioned my observation to the guide, and he told me he didn't know why they'd been let into the car, because the age was 16. The boy was very well behaved though. And I DID see our guide turning people away. Back to the Silver Vista, it's the best car on the train because it's an open air car with 360 degree view and a great view of the top of the mountains too.

Personally, I prefer the age limit in Solarium. But I'm more worried about not being able to find a place to eat our lunch and dinner because every table is filled with card players.

Edited by knittinggirl

After three championships, those Sox fans have turned into pushovers. My in-laws are all Bostonians and I couldn't watch a game with them before '04. I consider myself a die hard fan but those guys were rabid. Now they're getting up for beers in the middle of the inning. Who does that??? :confused::D

Yes, everyone's gone pink hat...plus the games are too darn long now, but the sox are giving them something to miserable about this year! :p

Anyway, on to the original topic, on all the ships we've sailed we've rarely seen a kid in the solarium for long. Usually they move on cause it's boring, or a pool attendant moves them along.

Until this post and another on the boards a few days ago I actually thought the Solarium was adults only and I've been on royal 4x. Hence not anti kids but I might've thought something too considering I didn't know the actual rules.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There is a reason for the rule 16 and older. I have kids, but when I cruise, I don't want to listen to someone elses kids in the solarium. It is designated as an adult area. Sometimes people want to go where there are no kids. Some people don't have them, because they choose not to. It doesn't make them kid haters. I just got off the Splendor on our Greece cruise, and there was a couple with their ten month old son in diapers in the solarium pool. The couple then took their son over to the hot tub and then got in. If we are going to break the rule for 16 and older, then let us break the rules for diapers in the pools. Let smokers smoke on the balcony. When is it okay to bend or break the rules. There will always be arguments on why rules should be broken. And we need to to teach our children that our society is based on rules. Rules are not suggestions.