Requesting Update on Westerdam's Neptune Lounge

sail7seas

If I understand correctly, are you saying that you will leave HAL as HAL has, for whatever reason, taken a small section of the Neptune Lounge Buffet and made it a service counter instead? You would leave because you are being served instead of helping yourself to the buffet?

I didn't say that. I spoke of value vs. price paid. Over many years I have watched the value slowly drop. I can't help but wonder if they are doing this purposely on Westerdam to see if people stop complaining and just "get used to it"- then boom it is system wide. What no self service says to me is that they can control better how much people eat and cut food costs.

What will follow- perhaps a "day use" pass that can be purchased for the NL for guests in SS or VS categories? More Cabanas in the Lido area and around pools? Part of the MDR converted into specialty restaurants? Fee for anytime dining?

To me this is very much following the same path as the airlines that cheapened their domestic First Class product so far that they ended up calling it Business Class. You get a little bigger seat with a little more legroom and what used to be free coach food now served on dishes.

Just getting caught up on this thread.

So -- the sideboard has food on it -- but it is "corded" off and a Pinnacle staff member has to hand you what you want.

Stupid!!

That just sounds like the Code Orange in the Lido the first 48 hours where we can't help ourselves. And the lines get long at times.

I found it nicer to be served, that's what luxury is. To each is own, but this thread has gotten silly, I was thankful for the great service, delightful food and great company in the Neptune. I was very impressed with the suite options on westerdam.

I often sail crystal and Silversea, for the price paid for my SA (and I've sailed peak and shoulder seasons) the value is very good on westerdam. I don't see how a donut or a wedge of cheese vs a fruit tart changes that. Based on the chef, if I don't have roast beef sandwiches on Oosterdam vs the delicious ones on westerdam, is the cruise a bust? Or should I enjoy the options the chef has made on that ship?

This thread needs to end, it's sounding very spoiled. I'm out of here. Enjoy your cruises....

You are not the moderator and I think it's disrespectful to call this silly. If you like asking for things, so be it. Others don't. You also mentioned that a toaster is tacky. I think people asked why. I don't think you ever replied. Should things only be the way you want them? Isn't that being spoiled?

I didn't say that. I spoke of value vs. price paid. Over many years I have watched the value slowly drop. I can't help but wonder if they are doing this purposely on Westerdam to see if people stop complaining and just "get used to it"- then boom it is system wide. What no self service says to me is that they can control better how much people eat and cut food costs.

What will follow- perhaps a "day use" pass that can be purchased for the NL for guests in SS or VS categories? More Cabanas in the Lido area and around pools? Part of the MDR converted into specialty restaurants? Fee for anytime dining?

To me this is very much following the same path as the airlines that cheapened their domestic First Class product so far that they ended up calling it Business Class. You get a little bigger seat with a little more legroom and what used to be free coach food now served on dishes.

I agree, I think it is a test to see how well it goes over.

If you have not been in other HAL Neptune Lounges, in all likelihood you cannot understand the difference in the Westerdam NL. We were on this ship when the change took place. My DH was in the NL, along with HAL officers and several "suits." They "shut down" the Sideboard. It was in early March 2013 and it has never returned to having the same offerings. Some of us don't think we are being "silly."

I've been in most NL's including Prinsendam (excluding Eurodam and N. Amsterdam), so yes, I have a point of reference and each one was not a carbon copy of the other, yet enjoyed what each one offered. I understand NL's fully as well as the full suite offerings on most of the cruise lines and again, its all turned into silly conversation. Perhaps your choice is to NOT sail the Westerdam and leave her for those that enjoy the wonderful experience she provides. I guess with all the real issues in the world, where the bagels and muffins are located within a lounge is the most important

Edited by avalon1025

I just love reading your posts. You are hilarious. That's the problem. You have a small layer paying top prices and the $399 cruisers that come along for the ride. It cheapens the whole experience.

Many of us start cruising at the lower end of the fare structure for various reasons (How about being young, divorced, and relatively poor?) and gradually work our way up. My first cruise was in a small inside in the bowels of the ship on NCL, my last in a HAL lanai, and I am considering a HAL Vista or NCL suite for next summer. Each booking has taken me to a more expensive category. Although I am not yet at the Neptune level, I have hopes (Which is why I am reading this thread.)! However, without the first cheapie NCL cruise, I never would have become hooked on cruising.

Many of us start cruising at the lower end of the fare structure for various reasons (How about being young, divorced, and relatively poor?) and gradually work our way up. My first cruise was in a small inside in the bowels of the ship on NCL, my last in a HAL lanai, and I am considering a HAL Vista or NCL suite for next summer. Each booking has taken me to a more expensive category. Although I am not yet at the Neptune level, I have hopes (Which is why I am reading this thread.)! However, without the first cheapie NCL cruise, I never would have become hooked on cruising.

I've been there too. I did a lot of cruises in a inside cabin. My first balcony was for my 50th birthday. I'm now 53 so it hasn't been long. I can't recall one cruise that was less than $1700.

This thread needs to end, it's sounding very spoiled. I'm out of here. Enjoy your cruises....

I see you just couldn't stay away. What may seem silly to you may be important to someone else. For me it's cutbacks in service appearing on all lines- this is just one of them. The person in the NL serving from the side board very likely also works a full shift in the PG. We recently got off of a cruise that spent many days in Code Red- double duty was horrible for the PG staff.

HAL is not paying me to cruise their line therefore I dam sure better get exactly what I am paying for. Sorry for the bad pun.....

Edited by frankc98376

I've been there too. I did a lot of cruises in a inside cabin. My first balcony was for my 50th birthday. I'm now 53 so it hasn't been long. I can't recall one cruise that was less than $1700.

Too true, especially when one solo cruises on non domestic itineraries. I remember how nervous I was when I paid $3600 for an OV on Princess. You give me hope...

I agree, I think it is a test to see how well it goes over.

I agree with you there, and I think if they feel they can "get away with it", the offerings in the other Neptune Lounges will start to deteriorate, too. I've only been in one (on the Ryndam), but it was really, really, special, and I wouldn't book a Neptune suite on Westerdam if I wasn't sure it would be just as special!

I see you just couldn't stay away. What may seem silly to you may be important to someone else. For me it's cutbacks in service appearing on all lines- this is just one of them. The person in the NL serving from the side board very likely also works a full shift in the PG. We recently got off of a cruise that spent many days in Code Red- double duty was horrible for the PG staff.

HAL is not paying me to cruise their line therefore I dam sure better get exactly what I am paying for. Sorry for the bad pun.....

I guess I cant stay away when I see what to me seems like whining:

Having sailed three lines in the last 12 weeks (did you?), the Westerdam was the greatest value and my experience in the Neptune Lounge and Pinnacle Grill (we did not eat in the MDR) was on par with my cruise on Crystal Serenity this past October, in service etc. I honestly did not see any cutbacks from my cruise on the Noordam in the Med two years ago where I thought the Neptune was not as nice as the overall levels on the Westerdam.

Please dont sail the Westerdam if you are going to nit pick and cause those poor NL lounge crew stress over the placement of your morning muffin

Too true, especially when one solo cruises on non domestic itineraries. I remember how nervous I was when I paid $3600 for an OV on Princess. You give me hope...

I remember a few years ago saying that I would never be able to sail in a suite. Since them I've been in the PH and a Neptune suite. The ph was a pretty fine deal. You never know how things will shake out. I'd love to sail that way all the time but I'm pretty sure that won't be in my future unless I work until I'm a 100.

I just love reading your posts. You are hilarious. That's the problem. You have a small layer paying top prices and the $399 cruisers that come along for the ride. It cheapens the whole experience.

Yes....GOD FORBID! If you have to rub shoulders with those "$399 cruisers!"

I mean you might actually have to sit next to them during a show or heaven's .....sit at the same table with those "$399 cruisers" in the MDR!

That you can be so condescending of people who pay less than you do for a cruise is amazing! Besides it is not their fault. I guess you need to blame HAL for offering a cruising experience for all economic backgrounds. And then your previous comment about "never having to step foot in the LIDO."

Maybe you need to lock yourself in the Neptune suite and dine only at the Pinnacle Grill? But ask first if there are any of thos "$399 cruiser" with reservations. Wouldn't want to sit next to them would we? Might as you say "cheapen the experience."

Every time we hear about cookies in the Lido we cringe.

On one trip we were sitting very close the where the cookies were. We saw more than one person come up and 'paw' the cookies. Not sure why anyone would do this...maybe looking for the one with the most chocolate chips? Not certain if this can still be done. We have also seen it with bread rolls and even dishware on other cruise lines. If we pick up a plate, etc. and decide not to use it, we ensure that it is not put back in the stack of clean dishes.

Just one reason why we like to avoid any self service food area on a ship-any ship. Very diffent if the food is handed to you on a plate or if you have to use the correct utensils.

It seems to me that the incidents of Norovirus have increased in recent years as lidos (or cafeterias as many of them seem to be) have become larger and more popular. When I first started taking ocean liners and cruises there was no "permanent" lido. There might be an occasional buffet lunch set up and the so-called midnight buffet. It seemed that outbreaks of gastrointestinal illness were rare.

There are two other reasons I almost never use a lido. I prefer the elegance of a main dining room to the ambience of a cafeteria and I have no will-power when it comes to the dessert section - especially chocolate. :(

A few weeks ago we boarded the Queen Mary 2 in Southampton. Only the Princess and Queen's Grills are open for lunch on sailing day so, not being in the Grills, we decided to have a bit of lunch in the Kings Court (lido) for the first time. Fortunately there were very few passengers on board at this early time, so it didn't look like the food had been played with. We made sure we didn't take anything that would have to be touched by our hands - e.g. I didn't feel like eating a roll with a knife and fork.

Yes....GOD FORBID! If you have to rub shoulders with those "$399 cruisers!"

I mean you might actually have to sit next to them during a show or heaven's .....sit at the same table with those "$399 cruisers" in the MDR!

That you can be so condescending of people who pay less than you do for a cruise is amazing! Besides it is not their fault. I guess you need to blame HAL for offering a cruising experience for all economic backgrounds. And then your previous comment about "never having to step foot in the LIDO."

Maybe you need to lock yourself in the Neptune suite and dine only at the Pinnacle Grill? But ask first if there are any of thos "$399 cruiser" with reservations. Wouldn't want to sit next to them would we? Might as you say "cheapen the experience."

You are such a ray of sunshine:). I feel sorry for you. I do not like the lido because it's just too crazy. I don't enjoy the crowds pawing at my food with unwashed hands. Do you ever make a post where you don't insult someone? I haven't seen one yet. How sad your life must be.

Edited by cruz chic

You are such a ray of sunshine:). I feel sorry for you. I do not like the lido because it's just too crazy. I don't enjoy the crowds pawing at my food with unwashed hands. Do you ever make a post where you don't insult someone? I haven't seen one yet. How sad your life must be.

Just quoting what YOU stated. Don't try to turn this around and make it about me. Look in the mirror. If the shoe fits............

I'd rub elbows with you cruz chic on any deck :)

I just want all to know that when we were on Zuiderdam on May we took the elevator all the way down to the main deck and sat in the hallway (with a NL Latte of course and a PG waiter to protect us) greeting people and giving them our condolences for being forced to stay all the way down there in those dark rooms with bars on the windows. Of course we kindly asked them to not recognize us or wave through the windows if they saw in the spa or in the PG. If they seemed really sad we showed them pictures of our NS and told them about the cocktail parties with string quartets and Caviar.

I just want all to know that when we were on Zuiderdam on May we took the elevator all the way down to the main deck and sat in the hallway (with a NL Latte of course and a PG waiter to protect us) greeting people and giving them our condolences for being forced to stay all the way down there in those dark rooms with bars on the windows. Of course we kindly asked them to not recognize us or wave through the windows if they saw in the spa or in the PG. If they seemed really sad we showed them pictures of our NS and told them about the cocktail parties with string quartets and Caviar.

Likewise. This post is too funny:D.

Remember Frank, we then had to console you for the entire week, but Sue and I did enjoy talking to you! ;)

Talk about topic drift. We'll be on the Westerdam in January and as long as the latte machine in the NL is working, we'll be happy campers.

Frank, we hope to see you again on a future cruise!!

Edited by kjw869

Just off the Westerdam (feeling for the ones on her now). Neptune Hours are

Continental breakfast 7-10:30

Midday snacks 11-2:30

Afternoon tea 3-5

Canapes 5-8:15

Lounge closed at 8:30

In one short word it was Wonderful! I was dying to meet the person who put all those little springs of mint, chives etc on the tidbits. The patience of a saint.

It was all self serve every day except for the breads in the morning. I rather liked someone toasting my bagel for me. I never felt they were "rationing" me rather it was just extra service. I really think the best perk of the neptune suite is the ability to have breakfast in the pinnacle. Although I just made D+ on Royal I'm thinking Holland may just be my choice from now on. Really looking forward to our Bermuda cruise now. Service is unbeliveable.

Just off the Westerdam (feeling for the ones on her now). Neptune Hours are

Continental breakfast 7-10:30

Midday snacks 11-2:30

Afternoon tea 3-5

Canapes 5-8:15

Lounge closed at 8:30

In one short word it was Wonderful! I was dying to meet the person who put all those little springs of mint, chives etc on the tidbits. The patience of a saint.

It was all self serve every day except for the breads in the morning. I rather liked someone toasting my bagel for me. I never felt they were "rationing" me rather it was just extra service. I really think the best perk of the neptune suite is the ability to have breakfast in the pinnacle. Although I just made D+ on Royal I'm thinking Holland may just be my choice from now on. Really looking forward to our Bermuda cruise now. Service is unbeliveable.

Thank you for the update.

In the morning did they have the pastries as well?

In the afternoon did they have the pound cake, cookies, chocolates?

My mom and son, and brother are on the Westerdam right now in an SA. They are loving the NL. I asked my son if there is food available in the lounge, and he began describing what is available. Sound abundant and delicious (ok. I am a little jealous... ;)).

They also have bevvies and cappuccinos! Yay!

Sail, I hope you enjoy your upcoming cruise!

TL:)

My mom and son, and brother are on the Westerdam right now in an SA. They are loving the NL. I asked my son if there is food available in the lounge, and he began describing what is available. Sound abundant and delicious (ok. I am a little jealous... ;)).

They also have bevvies and cappuccinos! Yay!

Sail, I hope you enjoy your upcoming cruise!

TL:)

Thanks, Tracie.

I'm no where near ready to cruise again right now but some friends invited me to join them to cruise some months from now. I am appreciative they included me. I'll see how things go between now and then. :)