Earplug Use for Sleeping or Napping on Ship

zorrosuncle

How do you feel about using earplugs on a cruise ship? I have some concern about needing to hear emergency announcements.

On the other hand, I get quite disturbed if the captain and/or cruise director give their daily spiel right in the middle of my nap.

ZU

How do you feel about using earplugs on a cruise ship? I have some concern about needing to hear emergency announcements.

On the other hand, I get quite disturbed if the captain and/or cruise director give their daily spiel right in the middle of my nap.

ZU

They only broadcast emergencies in the cabins.Never felt a need for earplugs.

ZU

Any alarms/emergency broadcast(s) will be piped directly into your stateroom, as opposed to the 1:00 pm 'Voice from the Bridge', followed by the CD's spiel, which will be in the corridors, public lounges and open decks. Have a great nap with your earplugs!

Edited by Copper10-8

I never travel without my earplugs - DH is sometimes a very loud snorer. Now, earplugs don't really eliminate sounds. They muffle them so if the noise is fairly soft, you won't hear it. But if the noise is loud, they muffle it enough so you can sleep. You should be able to hear any emergency announcements in your cabin.

I never travel without my earplugs - DH is sometimes a very loud snorer. Now, earplugs don't really eliminate sounds. They muffle them so if the noise is fairly soft, you won't hear it. But if the noise is loud, they muffle it enough so you can sleep. You should be able to hear any emergency announcements in your cabin.

The emergency alarm is ear splitting. Even noise-cancelling headphones cannot block the brain-piercing tones. Wear your ear plugs without any issues.

The emergency alarm is ear splitting. Even noise-cancelling headphones cannot block the brain-piercing tones. Wear your ear plugs without any issues.

I'll second that- i had ear plugs in and just about lifted off the bed at 3am when it sounded. :eek: The speaker is in the headboard right over your head- guarantee you won't miss it or sleep thru it

Any alarms/emergency broadcast(s) will be piped directly into your stateroom, as opposed to the 1:00 pm 'Voice from the Bridge', followed by the CD's spiel, which will be in the corridors, public lounges and open decks. Have a great nap with your earplugs!

On one cruise an announcement was made mid-massage for a fire training drill (unrelated to the spa). That was a bit jarring and spoilt the mood.

I always use earplugs when on a cruise or in a hotel. There are just so many sounds that are different from home. The earplugs will muffle the sounds but you can still hear loud noises. I always use my iphone as an alarm clock and never have trouble hearing it.

solocanadian,

I have NEVER had any type of sales attempt once I started saying before the massage even began (said nicely but firmly) - I will not buy any products at all from the salon this cruise. If you want a repeat massage customer - do not even mention what product(s) might be good for me or helpful. (or some such thing). That has stopped all sales attempts since I started using this. Then I can relax and enjoy the massage.

I bring earplugs every cruise and use them at night, mostly because of inconsiderate passengers returning to their cabins late and being loud. We may be unlucky, but it happens on most every cruise. Even the earplugs don't always block them out.

I take soft foam ear plugs and use them quite often. As others have said, they won't block out loud noises ( like snoring ) but do muffle them well. I find the odd creaks and moans take a few nights to get used to and then no problem at all.

Relaxed mood. Until the loud announcement was made a few feet above my head.

The way it works; P/A announcements are made from a stationary microphone on the right/starboard panel of the Bridge. There are a series of buttons below the mike, i.e. staterooms, public lounges and areas such as the Gym & Spa, outside decks, crew areas, etc. plus one that "hits" all of them. When the Captain, Staff Captain, the Cruise Director and/or the Officer of the Watch (OOW) gets ready to make an announcement those buttons are pressed based on where they want the particular announcement to go. Fire, General Emergency, "Bright Star" and MOB (man overboard) alarms go "all over" the ship, while those deemed of lesser importance go to specific only areas. Unfortunately in your case, there is not a button that will exclude the spa from other public pax areas.

When alarms for crew drills, i.e. Fire or General Emergency are made, they are always accompanied by a series of P/A announcements, usually by the CD, identifying them as drills where "no action from guests/passengers is required", distinguishing it from a "real world" alarm.

The way it works; P/A announcements are made from a stationary microphone on the right/starboard panel of the Bridge. There are a series of buttons below the mike, i.e. staterooms, public lounges and areas such as the Gym & Spa, outside decks, crew areas, etc. plus one that "hits" all of them. When the Captain, Staff Captain, the Cruise Director and/or the Officer of the Watch (OOW) gets ready to make an announcement those buttons are pressed based on where they want the particular announcement to go. Fire, General Emergency, "Bright Star" and MOB (man overboard) alarms go "all over" the ship, while those deemed of lesser importance go to specific only areas. Unfortunately in your case, there is not a button that will exclude the spa from other public pax areas.

When alarms for crew drills, i.e. Fire or General Emergency are made, they are always accompanied by a series of P/A announcements, usually by the CD, identifying them as drills where "no action from guests/passengers is required", distinguishing it from a "real world" alarm.

I have heard that one many, many times over the years I have been on the HAL ships.