Help needed: Target/WalMart/Monoprix type store in Rome? I like socks from Europe ;)

CruisingGatorGirl

Hi all, and good morning! (If you live on the east cost of US ;))

As the title says, we are looking for a store similar to the Monoprix in Paris. Monoprix is like a Target or WalMart where you can buy groceries, beauty products, socks, undergarments, umbrella etc.

I would like to buy shampoo, conditioner, body wash, wine, candies/treats, granola bars, socks, undies, etc. once in Rome.

I know it sounds silly, but we bought socks and underwear while in Paris at the monoprix because we ran out. Now, those are my favorite socks because of the memories!

I would like to buy simple, cheap items like that in Rome.

Also, to help with weight on flying, I would like to buy all my hair products over in Italy prior to cruise.

Thank you for any help!

-Ashley

(I did a brief search on google but only found department type stores (like Macy's) that carry expensive brands- we just need inexpensive items)

I hope I am not the only one that likes simple, basic items bought over seas to bring back HAHA ;):D:o

Edited by CruisingGatorGirl

That's a tough one. The centro storico in Rome is pretty small and it's not really the place to find a "Target" type of store. Those types of stores are mostly in commercial centers in the 'burbs.

If I were looking for some socks just to have (and remember that I got them in Italy), I might look at Benetton, as it's an Italian brand. Remember, most socks/underwear you buy in most places aren't going to be "from" that country in the sense that they are made elsewhere...

I'd go to a pharmacy (farmacia) for shampoo and hair products and also body wash; that's where Italians buy them (not so much in supermarkets).

Other things you should be able to find in a moderately sized grocery, of which there are a few tucked away in the centro. Look for "Despar" which is a chain, as one option.

Edited by cruisemom42

A really useful shop for shampoo, conditioner, body wash, etc is Acqua & Sapone. They even have anti-perspirant sometimes (pretty scarce in Italy). There is a map here showing three locations in Rome.

If you can find an IperSimply, they are good for everything, including shampoo, socks, wine and underpants. There are some in Rome, but as cruisemom42 says, they tend to be outside of the centro storico because they are relatively large stores. You may come across some market stalls, and if you do, these can be great for socks and underwear. The stallholder can normally judge the right size just by looking at the customer. Unnerving but useful!

Edited by lisiamc

I can't answer your question, but found it funny because we had to buy extra socks and underwear while in France a few years ago, and they are still some of my favorite socks and underwear in the drawer! HAHA! :D

Those Europeans make some good undergarments!

For inexpensive sundry items, the best place I know in Rome is located in the Ghetto neighborhood, just down the street from the Synagoge. It's located on Via del Portico d'Ottavia, at the intersection of Via del Tempio. If you make a google map of this intersection and go to street view, it's the store with the yellow awnings. I can't remember the name, but it's my go-to store in Rome for the kinds of things I'd buy here at Duane Reade/Walgreens/Rite Aid/CVS.

You can also find some of these items in grocery stores and pharmacies, but at the pharmacy you'll pay absolute top dollar.

Edited by euro cruiser

I could only think of the Galleria Alberto Sordi on Via del Corso, not far from the Pantheon. It's a mall. But, the very cool stained glass ceilings are worth going in to see, if nothing else. There are some there stores along Via del Corso that may have what you want...

Here is one option for inexpensive socks, underwear and beauty products with many locations throughout Rome and even in Civitavecchia.

http://negozi.ovs.it/it/negozi/italia.aspx

With Italy having one of the most developed retail markets anywhere in the world, I can not imagine you having trouble finding anything that you need.

While IperCoop and Carrefour would be like Target and Walmart, I think you will find many other options.

Hi all, and good morning! (If you live on the east cost of US ;))

As the title says, we are looking for a store similar to the Monoprix in Paris. Monoprix is like a Target or WalMart where you can buy groceries, beauty products, socks, undergarments, umbrella etc.

I would like to buy shampoo, conditioner, body wash, wine, candies/treats, granola bars, socks, undies, etc. once in Rome.

I know it sounds silly, but we bought socks and underwear while in Paris at the monoprix because we ran out. Now, those are my favorite socks because of the memories!

I would like to buy simple, cheap items like that in Rome.

Also, to help with weight on flying, I would like to buy all my hair products over in Italy prior to cruise.

Thank you for any help!

-Ashley

(I did a brief search on google but only found department type stores (like Macy's) that carry expensive brands- we just need inexpensive items)

I hope I am not the only one that likes simple, basic items bought over seas to bring back HAHA ;):D:o

No, you are most definitely not the only one who likes to bring back ordinary things from travels! We are at the point where we don't need any more doodahs for the house but we still need toiletries like toothpaste and soap, and spices and mixes for the kitchen, etc. I like bringing home useful things. Every time I reach for them I am reminded of our cruises, like when I make the Knoxx dried soup packets and they taste nothing like the Knoxx dried onion soup mix we get here, or when I use the moisturizer that has a fragrance that is unique to the country. Etc etc. It's fun and I don't feel guilty at all about lugging any of my goodies home because they're something we need for daily life. Though I have had to use Google translate a few times with the food items. :p Anyway, there's a department store in Rome that might be exactly what you're looking for, and it's even open on Sunday. It's called MAS and it's at Piazza Vittorio. Here's an article about it. I personally haven't been in it but I've known about it for years. If you go, tell what it's really like! The store I go to in Rome (department store) is COIN. There are lots of locations throughout the city. I got a nice leather purse there once and a silk scarf. I still have them. http://www.cntraveler.com/daily-traveler/2013/09/magazzino-allo-statuto-mas-department-store-rome-italy

Edited by dln929