How do you know if you need to prevent seasickness

S.A.M.J.R.

Having experienced some heavy seas (not on cruise ships), I'm a fan of taking a preemptive doseage. I've found that once the feelings of seasickness has started, the medicines have much less effect. Also, as mentioned earlier, I've found that you can taper off the dose as your body adjusts to being at sea--getting your sea legs.

If you find yourself getting queasy, crackers, dry toast, and the like should help keep your contents in their place, but I think an ounce of prevention.... :D

This is great advice! I've seen a ton of sea states across a wide variety of ships (Navy, cruise and diving) and seen lots of folks get seasick. Personally, I am not susceptible except under the worst of circumstances. Even still, I always pop a pill about 30 minutes before the ship sails, even did it when I was the Captain of my Navy ship. If you start getting sick, the meds don't work as well. If you take it and are feeling okay, taper the dose, you can always ramp up if the weather gets rough or you don't feel well.

However, the most important thing, if you take the pill before you sail, you won't worry about it and will have more fun on your cruise!

A couple other things can help, go easy on the alcohol until you know how you are reacting, stay hydrated and if you aren't feeling well, get some fresh air, a look at the horizon and eat some crackers or bread.

If you spend your time thinking about seasickness, and there's any motion of the seas, you're three quarters of the way to getting it. It's already in your mind, so you can't get it out, but try not to bring it into the minds of the children by talking about it.

Agree. For the most part, children will be fine if they know nothing about it. Put it into their heads, and ........ :(

I cut the patch in half. I have never had any side effects, but it totally stops any motion sickness. I use it for sailing small boats. I suggest if you do find yourself feeling awful and the lighter options don't help then the patch is an excellent option. If you find you are one of the unfortunate who do have side effects you can just remove it. And honestly I would WAY rather have a bit of amnesia than any sea sickness. Especially if the amnesia made me forget the seasickness!!

I cut the patch in half. I have never had any side effects, but it totally stops any motion sickness. I use it for sailing small boats. I suggest if you do find yourself feeling awful and the lighter options don't help then the patch is an excellent option. If you find you are one of the unfortunate who do have side effects you can just remove it. And honestly I would WAY rather have a bit of amnesia than any sea sickness. Especially if the amnesia made me forget the seasickness!!

My pharmacist warned against cutting the patch, as the patch is designed to dispense a certain amount of medicine over a period of time. And when you cut it.. you are liable to get much larger doses. But perhaps it is a different patch then I was prescribed.

With a huge history of getting sea sick on ferries, deep sea fishing and even a little tourist boat around a bay, I swear by the SeaBands/ wrist bands. My cousin wore them and my aunt told me they worked for her... Nothing to lose, I tried them. No dizziness, vertigo, or feeling sleepy or drugged. Just normal, even on that one night when the ship was rolling... :)

SuZ

that is my experience. I could feel the movement, and it kind of bothered me a bit, but NO nausea...dizziness, nothing. I won't ever sail without them again.

I'm glad I tried it before I left home. I coudln't remember why I came into a room. The whole DAY I had it on, I was so disoriented, I couldn't think.

I would rather cruise with my mind intact LOL

Agree. For the most part, children will be fine if they know nothing about it. Put it into their heads, and ........ :(

I roomed with my grandson (parents and sibs down the hall) and never mentioned motion sickness, I was curious if the kids would have any effects when we were rolling pretty good one day. He got out of bed one morning and said "whoa...I just got kind of dizzy" I didn't say a word Ssssssssssssssssshhhhhh lol

Do ginger biscuits work or is it other forms of ginger?

I swear by GINGER. i take it in capsule form. Start a few hours before i sail and take it once or twice a day during cruise. I have strong reactions to Bonine (Even the Non drowsy stuff knocks me out)

As far as sea bands - Science backs up their effectivness.

there is a newer type of band that actually emits a small electric pulse called RELIEFBAND. Used by Astronauts to relieve the effects of Zero grafity and by Cancer patients and Pregnant Women for Nausea. Very Expensive, but Very Effective - i used it once on a 5 hour Whale watching trip and it worked great. (But this is really for those who get Seasick Watching JAWS- like me)

I have taken 5 cruise and have only experienced seasickness on one of them! The 6 day cruise to Jamica, left Miami, 4 hours late! So it left at dark! The ship was facinginto the port! They had to do a complete circle to leave port! The lights of Miami, ar beautifull at night from the ship! But when they started turning, my head started to turn also! lol it didn't take long for me to dig out the Dramamine! It worked fine, since I took i so late in the evening, I didn't really feel sleepy, or any side effects from the meds! Felt much better the next day! My advice, definatley take something with you. (Dramamine, Bonine, or other meds just be prepared! I would have enjoyed my first evening on that cruise, much more without the dizzy feeling!

I Hope this helps! RockNCntry

I like ginger mint tea with a bit of lemon. But I use ginger chews to suck on and biscuits as well. I think the tea works the best if you don't feel well.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41RFtjy3RkL._SX350_.jpg

is one I like.

I have used the bands as well and find them only somewhat helpful.

When it gets choppy on the SF Bay it's CHOPPY ; -)

We sailed our first cruise years ago on the Disney Magic after Hurricaine Dan made its presence known. The waters were kinda rough.

DH did not fare well, although he did not hug the porcelean bowl, his motion sickness put him out of commission for about 4 hours. At that time the only thinkg we had to offer was ginger ale and the ships dramamine.

After that...........we do the Scop patch. It is by prescription and works for us.

It is making a come back in the Anesthesia realm....and now anyone with a history of surgical post op nausea and vomiting (in the out-patient setting)....I order and apply pre-operatively.

We sail with it also.

The morning of our cruise after breakfast we apply to the area behind our ear.

Yea like any drug it has some precautions.

For us we have noticed the eye sun sensitivity, so we wear sunglasses when in the bright Florida sun.

We also get a dry mouth........but, we drink plenty of water, and it keeps us hydrated which in itself can deter sea sickness.

Now just a note: Some people if they are prone to motion sickness, nothing is going to help. Others it has a wide benefit.

But just was with any medication plan, some others may work better for others.

Bonine

Dramamine

Wrist Bands

Hypnosis

Ginger

We just work with what has proved effective for us on our last 4 cruises, and we are using again on this upcoming July cruise.

Good Luck

Sea Ya

I tend to get very motion sick in the car when I'm not the one driving, motion sick on amusement park rides, etc so the very first cruise I went on I expected to get very motion sick but that was not the case. Many cruises later, I still bring meds and remedies in case it happens but I would definitely not advise to pre-medicate yourself and instead wait until you have symptoms.

I went to the Galapagos armed with Bonine. It said you could take one pill or two. So I thought I would start with only one (I get nauseous on fairground rides and just thinking about going on a boat). Unfortunately when I woke up the next morning all I could think about was rushing on my clothes and going up on deck quickly!

But the boat thoughtfully had Dramamine pills in a basket in reception - I think 50g when my one Bonine pill had been 25g. So I took one religiously morning and night - all fine! Plus the sea-bands on my wrists when I went to sleep at night.

One evening it was very rough and only 50% of people were in dinner - the rest throwing up. My husband (no pills, huh!) and I were in dinner & happy!

Do you wait until you find out you are susceptible to sea sickness to try and prevent it (patches, ginger, bonine)? Does the age matter (adult vs. kids)?

DW & I cruised last year on Oasis. I had some minor cases of vertigo through the week (nothing that knocked me down, just some "light headedness").

This year we're taking the kids on Freedom of the Seas. DW & DD(16) have prescriptions for patches ("just in case"). We're also bring ginger pills, bonine tablets, and dramamine (for the younger kids). But should we take some before we get on board or see how we react?

WWYD?

It’s good to be prepared for anything. Depends how the seas are doing.

I'll add in my experience. I get motion sickness on thrill rides, especially those 3D simulations that try to make you think you're in motion. On our first cruise in 1987, I think, my DW and I wore the patch. Mine fell off when swimming somewhere and since I felt ok, I decided I didn't need it. That night I looked out the window at dinner and saw the horizon rising and falling. I started thinking "I hope I don't get seasick". Then it came on and man, was I sorry I didn't put on another patch. It took 4 or 5 hours before I was able to even lift my head.

So from then on, we've religiously worn the patch and I've never been sick. You know, the idea that it causes light sensitivity is incorrect. What occurs is that people touch the patch and then touch around their eyes before washing their hands. The scopalamine then gets into their eyes and dilates their pupils, which causes sensitivity to light. So if people are just careful and wash their hands, they won't experience any light sensitivity. Having said that, the part about dry mouth is correct. But would you rather have a dry mouth or be sea sick? Having been sea sick, I'll take a dry mouth everyday.

Having said all that, on our next cruise we're trying the sea bands. We'll have patches with us in case those don't work, along with Bonine, etc. The patches do affect our "enjoyment index" as I call it.

Whatever treatment you decide to go with, start it before you get on board. Prevention is much easier than recovery, believe me.

• 2 weeks later...

I am a fan of the reilefbands. Yes the are expensive at $125 but for someone who is prone to motion sickness (cars, rides, etc) they are really great with no side effects. Also they work immediately so you can use them once you feel ill and do not have to plan ahead.

Each person seems to do well on their own remedies for sea sickness

It seems to be very personal so you will have to go prepared with something and just use trial and error to find what works for you

I know some who will swear by one method and others who swear against it

Sent from my iPhone using Forums