Manhattan vs. Taste on Epic

robandlil

We sail on Epic in October and will be using the no extra charge dining. I'm hoping someone can answer these questions

Does Manhattan MDR have the same menu as Taste?

Can anyone post the Mediterranean menus for them?

We've read that Taste is quicker and quieter. Would you agree?

Where would you prefer and why?

We're hoping to just choose one, eat at the same time and table and establish a rapport with the wait staff.

Thanks for any help

I can't answer your specific question as I've never sailed on the Epic (but have sailed and enjoyed NCL as well as 5 other cruise lines).

But I cant help but wonder: if having the same table, waitstaff, establishing a rapport with the waitstaff is a priority to you, why sail on NCL? Traditional dining in the MDR is something that other cruise lines do very well, while NCL has essentially eschewed that model.

(I'm NOT saying either model is better or worse, just curious.)

The chances of having the same table and same waitstaff every night are miniscule. Waiters move around and tables are filled as they become available. Sorry, but this is what freestyle is all about.

We dined in both MDRs and enjoyed both. Since they have revamped the menu, I don't know that there is any difference in the two. Differences previously were slight.

Go, eat when you want to and don't fret about having the same experience every night.

I preferred Taste because Manhattan was very noisy, seemed crowded and was a slower service. The tables are so close together that it bothered me. I was never seated where I could see the action of the entertainment. It is not designed for many except the ones adjacent to the dance floor to be able to enjoy, with columns and curtains in the way. It was just not a relaxing atmosphere to dine to me.

We never ate in the Manhattan room but DID eat in Taste every single night, and for several lunches. I believe the menus were largely the same, maybe the wording was slightly different on a few items.

We really liked Taste, I enjoyed the colorful windows.

The new menus are now the same in both restaurants. I posted three days worth on here recently. Just search for new menus on Epic.

Personally, I prefer Manhattan, but they are both very nice. Taste is more casual and Epic has the band which means it can be harder to just sit and chat. We tend to eat early, before the entertainment gets going.

Long pants for Manhattan and shorts for Taste/Savor (on BA and GA).

We dined in Manhattan a few times and had good meal and service. We also dined in Taste and had good meal and service.

So it's crapshoot.

We spent total of 44 days on Epic .....

So the menus are the same, and taste is quieter and has faster service. DH can wear shorts. Thanks for the help, that's what I wanted to hear.

We chose NCL despite the fact that we hate freestyle dining because of the Mediterranean itinerary. It exactly fit our dates and where we wanted to go. In port, we love adventure, but when we get back to the ship we like predictability. That's why we like cruising.

So the menus are the same, and taste is quieter and has faster service. DH can wear shorts. Thanks for the help, that's what I wanted to hear.

We chose NCL despite the fact that we hate freestyle dining because of the Mediterranean itinerary. It exactly fit our dates and where we wanted to go. In port, we love adventure, but when we get back to the ship we like predictability. That's why we like cruising.

I truly understand! We did 21 days on the Jade because it was INCREDIBLY cheap with an amazing itinerary.

The best food we had was in port for lunch. The cheapest AND best wine we had was in port at lunch.

On board NCL, we enjoyed the really great entertainment, the high quality sheets and towels, comfortable beds, and easily PREDICTABLE availability of dining opportunities. Food was offered everywhere, some free, some for extra charge. I can say that we enjoyed Blue Lagoon on the Jade A LOT. NO EXTRA CHARGE, but still 'mostly' cooked to order food.

Is NCL my favorite? No. Definitely no. But with a port intensive itinerary and a cheap price tag, it's a TERRIFIC option that I'm sure we will do again,

Edited by jkgourmet