What is happening to the Roll Calls

HELEN HENRY

Your opinion will be appreciated:)

What is happening to the Roll Calls :confused:

Don’t know if anyone else has noticed but there seems to be a decrease in passengers joining roll calls.

B2B Oct /Nov 2014 Azura

On our Oct 2014 Transatlantic-Caribbean , so far we have 6 regular guests participating

On our Nov 2014 Caribbean -Caribbean, we only have 3 guest participating in the roll call.The roll calls for both the above cruises have been running since May 2013.I wonder where everyone else is :confused:

On our last three cruises including Transatlantic- Caribbean we had more than 50 people participating and turning up at each of the meet & greets.

GREAT TURNOUTS. In March this year we had about 40 participating.

Come Oct 2015 and November 2015 B2B cruise on Britannia we already have a very large amount of guest participating on both cruises. So far eleven couples on Oct leg and 13 for Nov leg. Hopefully both rolls calls will continue to grow.

Why do you think that there are so few participating in the roll calls ?

Is it that guests are posting on FB instead?

Perhaps everyone who has cruised before is fed up posting and no longer wishes to join in roll calls or attend the meet and greet. I feel that it is a pity because we have met so many lovely guests on our cruises and many have turned out to be really good friends. In fact we have cruised with one couple every year since 2002 after meeting them on Aurora any many more whom we have met throughout the years at the meet and greets on various ships.

Pat

Hi. I have noticed that also,plus not a lot of people visiting this page either. I think a lot are now communicating on the p&o facebook page instead.

Yes, facecloth it is even though it has a lack of structure etc etc. I don't use it myself as I don't want the 'gossip' or 'group hug'. I just want to receive/give information and opinions.

I see the technology driving the user, not the other way around. It was mentioned on the news recently that Liverpool university are finding that sending info by email to students does not work anymore. They don't check their emails so it has to be facecloth or even twitty or whatever :rolleyes:

Also the roll calls section is littered with long departed cruises which makes it not easy to find the one you want. We're ex-Thomson cruisers and their forums are extremely lively. Princess last year was also much more lively than this year's Ventura rc.

Sent from my SM-T310 using Tapatalk

Also the roll calls section is littered with long departed cruises which makes it not easy to find the one you want. We're ex-Thomson cruisers and their forums are extremely lively. Princess last year was also much more lively than this year's Ventura rc.

Sent from my SM-T310 using Tapatalk

I have found that the P&O section of the roll calls has never been well subscribed to although it can change cruise by cruise. On a recent Azura cruise we had over 20 posters on the group. But only half turned up for the meet.

I have organised meets for most of my cruises but we have never had large numbers from CC.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

In comparison our Canaries cruise albeit on Princess had 50 on the cruise roll and nearly all turned up for the meet and greet, I would say 1/3 signed up in the last month or so.

Is it a P&O thing?

We're doing a Princess cruise in September and so far there are 170 members on the roll call and it seems to grow constantly. Various tours have been organised, transport to and from London, get-togethers pre-cruise, advice shared on ports etc. Yes, maybe 170 is too many but on our Feb cruise on P&O everybody (all 4 of us!) on our roll call knew each other anyway and we could just as well have emailed each other!

I do think that the demise of the P&O community is largely responsible for this and that P&O cruisers have now been scattered to various forums, and to Facebook. It's a shame really. We were actually on a cruise when the forum first disappeared for so-called technical reasons and it definitely does leave a gap.

I have found that the P&O section of the roll calls has never been well subscribed to although it can change cruise by cruise. On a recent Azura cruise we had over 20 posters on the group. But only half turned up for the meet.

I have organised meets for most of my cruises but we have never had large numbers from CC.

Well daiB, with assistance from yourself (on the old P &o community forum)

I have successfully organised meet and greets on the last seven cruises.

All of the meet and greets had an excellent turn out even though as you have stated only on some cruises half turned up. It was a good job because there would have been too many if they all had. However,if only half turn up to our meet and greet in November there will only be myself and half of someone else :eek::D

One can only hope that more guests will participate.

In the event that anyone should come across others who will be on

Azura A428/A and A429/A would you please point them in my direction because I am fed up talking to myself especially on A429/A429A.:D

Thank you everyone for responding.

Pat

Well daiB, with assistance from yourself (on the old P &o community forum)

I have successfully organised meet and greets on the last seven cruises.

All of the meet and greets had an excellent turn out even though as you have stated only on some cruises half turned up. It was a good job because there would have been too many if they all had. However,if only half turn up to our meet and greet in November there will only be myself and half of someone else :eek::D

One can only hope that more guests will participate.

In the event that anyone should come across others who will be on

Azura A428/A and A429/A would you please point them in my direction because I am fed up talking to myself especially on A429/A429A.:D

Thank you everyone for responding.

Pat

I'm there !! 😎

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Maybe the roll calls are undersubscribed because P&O cruisers tend to be more restrained or even 'refined' than those on other cruise lines. Add the loss to facecloth/twitty of those with a more chatty/gossipy/group hug disposition and you have your answer. ;)

Looks like a load of rubbish to me :D

Could it be that some cruises have a younger age group than others and it is this that drives the roll calls? A summer Med cruise is likely to have a younger average age than say a Baltic cruise at the end of the season.

Although there are plenty of silver surfers it may be that they haven't found their way here yet.

Cheers,

BR

With the exception of our first P&O cruise, we still keep in contact, all the roll calls have been poorly subscribed. Personally I have no interest in Facebook or Twitter but I think many do like to chat on those areas. I did not bother with the meet and greet on our last cruise because it was such a shambles. One of the problems I think is that P&O does not acknowledge the roll calls, Celebrity have great meet and mingles that are always well attended including the Captain and other senior officers.

With the exception of our first P&O cruise, we still keep in contact, all the roll calls have been poorly subscribed. Personally I have no interest in Facebook or Twitter but I think many do like to chat on those areas. I did not bother with the meet and greet on our last cruise because it was such a shambles. One of the problems I think is that P&O does not acknowledge the roll calls, Celebrity have great meet and mingles that are always well attended including the Captain and other senior officers.

Hi Janet and David,

I must say that on all of the meet and greets that I have arranged to be held on P&O ships I have had nothing but 100% support from P&O from the onset of arranging the venue to the delivery of complimentary refreshments. There has always been representatives from P&O including the cruise director, one additional senior officer and on two occasions the Captain attended. Lets hope that on our Britannia Transatlantic cruise in 2015 we have a good turn out at our meet and greet. Or I may have to eat my words, but would rather it was cake:D Please give it another go and come along to our meet and greet on Britannia October 2015.

Pat

We have found where the cruiseline acknowledges the roll call/meet & greet there has been better attendance. Celebrity and Azamara in particular have been good m&g s. Of course it helps that if more than 25 signed up for m&g refreshments are provided - a nice touch. Those attending in our experience have generally been from the younger section of the oldies so age has something to do with it. Also Americans and Australians seem to be keener to participate than some other nationalities.

Strange things can happen especially at birthday soirees;)

Pat

Hi Pat

Hope you and Scott are well. Our last cruise to seek the Northern Lights had at least 30 turn up for the first meeting.

Only one where no one turned up and that was on the Adonia - too rough in the Channel - everyone sea sick. Going back to the Caribbean next year X508

David

(eatock from the crowsnestonline site) - many more seem to post there

We have found where the cruiseline acknowledges the roll call/meet & greet there has been better attendance. Celebrity and Azamara in particular have been good m&g s. Of course it helps that if more than 25 signed up for m&g refreshments are provided - a nice touch. Those attending in our experience have generally been from the younger section of the oldies so age has something to do with it. Also Americans and Australians seem to be keener to participate than some other nationalities.

There is a lot of truth in the above. I have attended very pleasant get togethers on P&O cruises where a passenger has taken the trouble to organise one. There has never however, been any involvement or recognition from P&O itself. On my Celebrity cruises however, Celebrity have taken the lead themselves and as well as arranging the time and venue have provided complimentary canapés and drinks. If P&O got involved in a similar way perhaps more would participate.

There is a lot of truth in the above. I have attended very pleasant get togethers on P&O cruises where a passenger has taken the trouble to organise one. There has never however, been any involvement or recognition from P&O itself. On my Celebrity cruises however, Celebrity have taken the lead themselves and as well as arranging the time and venue have provided complimentary canapés and drinks. If P&O got involved in a similar way perhaps more would participate.

Denarius, I have organised a dozen or so meets and we have generally had some refreshment from tea and coffee up to cakes and pastries. On a few occasions we have had crew join us.

I always organise it with the ship. It is now generally done by the CD and they put it in the Horizon on the morning of the get together. They allocate us a room. On our last cruises, back to back on Azura, we had 40+ on the first one and 25 on the second one. We have had as few as 6.

Dai, I wonder if fewer people attend meets is because they forget once onboard! I'm afraid that was what happened to us on the Aurora Worldie 2014!

The day after each leg, being a sea day, was the ideal time for a meeting but we were involved with activities and completely forgot until it was too late. A reminder in the Horizon would help. :)

Dai, I wonder if fewer people attend meets is because they forget once onboard! I'm afraid that was what happened to us on the Aurora Worldie 2014!

The day after each leg, being a sea day, was the ideal time for a meeting but we were involved with activities and completely forgot until it was too late. A reminder in the Horizon would help. :)

When asked P&O have always put my meets in the paper. As we have people from a number of forums I have come up with the name. "P&O Internet Cruising Community" when I give out the details I use the name as well so people know what to look for.

Hi Pat

Hope you and Scott are well. Our last cruise to seek the Northern Lights had at least 30 turn up for the first meeting.

Only one where no one turned up and that was on the Adonia - too rough in the Channel - everyone sea sick. Going back to the Caribbean next year X508

David

(eatock from the crowsnestonline site) - many more seem to post there

Hello David, lovely to hear from you . Hope you and Esther are keeping well. I will have a look at X508 and post you on Roll Call Oriana X508.Please give my regards to Esther.

Pat & Scott