Is Concierge Class Still Relevant?

JonnyCT81

There are really only two reasons why people choose to book CC over a standard veranda cabin on S Class (other than the price being lower in rare cases):

1) They have not done their research and they really think the perks are really worthwhile. I have seen many posts where people state that they've booked CC "to get the priority embarkation". Now, we all know that's pretty darn elusive, may be no benefit at all, and I have never waited more than 5 minutes at any time to get my seapass no matter what line I'm in. I've also seen a lot of references to 'better cabin location'. Phhttt. Nope, not buying that one at all. Possibly on a specific cruise the only thing left in a preferred location is a CC, but in general there are just as good locations in balcony cabins.

2) They like the feeling that they are 'special'. They like feeling that they will be treated better, and somehow feel that they are superior to the hoi polloi in 'lesser' cabins. I know, because admittedly I used to feel this way myself, til I woke up and smelled the ocean breezes. The staff is so well trained, they give preferential treatment to everyone! Short of major suites (who pay well for the pampering) everyone on board that I've ever noticed is treated fabulously well. Face it, CC is a marketing ploy--and it works for a lot of people, and as long as the public keep buying into the 'dream', it'll be around.

Wow! Now I know why I booked Concierge Class on my next cruise - thank you so much for the enlightenment. Believe it or not, some of us book Concierge Class for location. I like mid-ship, higher deck and not thrilled with the menu in blu, so I book Concierge Class. If you don't like Concierge Class, that's your right, but please don't lump everyone that does into the categories you did above; we all have different reasons why we book certain cruise lines, certain ships, certain cabin categories, etc., just as I'm sure you do.

Edited by NLH Arizona

We're one of those you laugh at I suppose.....we love Blu, it's got a great ambiance and the wait staff is very attentive, as attentive as any 5 star restaurant, and certainly more attentive than then MDR staff AND Murano's in our 3 trips to THAT Spec. Rest. When in a RS a few years ago, we still opted for Blu 10 out 12 nights, because it WAS so good and so welcoming....and had no issue with paying the $5pp upcharge.....is the food 5Star...probably not but I haven't eaten ANYTHING 5star worthy on a ship since the Normandie FIRST opened back in 2001.....all the Spec Rest have slipped since then.....

Though I appreciate that lots of people have different opinions.....I try NOT to laugh at them when I don't agree with their choices.....cause if EVERYONE liked one venue it would get REALLY crowded REALLY fast......:)

I'd like to piggy back on your post Gracie.... we happen to love the ambiance and service offered in Blu and feel the food and presentation is way better than the MDR...

166n41w.jpg

I'd like to piggy back on your post Gracie.... we happen to love the ambiance and service offered in Blu and feel the food and presentation is way better than the MDR...

166n41w.jpg

LOVE the picture....just makes me wish I was on a ship right now....still have 10 months to wait for our next Blu adventure!!!!:)

Great shot!

we like the Blu menu, food prep and service, more salad and veggie choices, less salt and fat..more .items made to order!

But would not close our minds to Concierge Class as irrelevant or any other stateroom if it fits our needs and budget

all about choices,.the more choices the better!

not sure why anyone would laugh or put down anyone else for preferences...

There are really only two reasons why people choose to book CC over a standard veranda cabin on S Class (other than the price being lower in rare cases):

1) They have not done their research and they really think the perks are really worthwhile. I have seen many posts where people state that they've booked CC "to get the priority embarkation". Now, we all know that's pretty darn elusive, may be no benefit at all, and I have never waited more than 5 minutes at any time to get my seapass no matter what line I'm in. I've also seen a lot of references to 'better cabin location'. Phhttt. Nope, not buying that one at all. Possibly on a specific cruise the only thing left in a preferred location is a CC, but in general there are just as good locations in balcony cabins.

2) They like the feeling that they are 'special'. They like feeling that they will be treated better, and somehow feel that they are superior to the hoi polloi in 'lesser' cabins. I know, because admittedly I used to feel this way myself, til I woke up and smelled the ocean breezes. The staff is so well trained, they give preferential treatment to everyone! Short of major suites (who pay well for the pampering) everyone on board that I've ever noticed is treated fabulously well. Face it, CC is a marketing ploy--and it works for a lot of people, and as long as the public keep buying into the 'dream', it'll be around.

We just booked a CC cabin on an upcoming Alaska cruise on the Solstice out of Seattle. We haven't gone yet, but I can promise you that 1. We did our research (we've used cruise critic for a while now, though I read much more than I post) and 2. feeling "special" never once came into our decision process

Last year we cruised on Celebrity in a Sky Suite. I managed to get an unbelievable deal and we decided to see what a suite was like. To be honest, the room itself wasn't that exciting (it was a little bigger, but didn't really feel that much bigger than a regular cabin and we weren't inside the room all that much; we never asked the butler to do anything that a room steward wouldn't do - we just didn't need it). What we DID love:

- Aft balcony - we loved this. We will have a hard time NOT booking one on any other cruise. We did another cruise later last year on a different line and immediately went for an aft balcony cabin.

- Champagne at check-in. Yes, it was crappy champagne, but it was lovely to sit on our balcony at sail-away and quietly sip champagne while we watched the city disappear.

- Expanded room service menu. We loved to get room service and eat on the balcony. Did I mention how much I loved our aft balcony?

- Afternoon canapés (guess where we ate those...)

- The ever popular footstool that made reading on my beloved balcony much more comfortable

Aside from the balcony, none of those things were earth-shattering. But they all made our vacation feel a bit more comfortable and happy. When we booked Alaska, an aft balcony was non-negotiable. I wanted to be able to sit on the balcony and look out at both sides of what we're sailing through. Plus, the wind is better and that's a big plus in chilly Alaska.

So we had 3 options: Sunset Veranda, Concierge Class or Suite (same as last time). Price for CC is about 10% more than Sunset, while the suite was about double. Given that there's nothing about the suite that we loved that isn't part of CC, that was easily removed as an option.

So we had to decide if CC was worth it. Another plus that we're hoping for (that really didn't matter/make a difference with our port in the suite) is embarkation. From what I've read, the Seattle port can be a mess. Quite a few people have posted that priority embarkation by being part of CC or Aqua or suites helped them get on the boat quicker. We had a highly frustrating experience in Galveston getting on Royal Caribbean that I'm hoping to not repeat again. Ever. So the chance of bypassing that, along with getting the perks we enjoyed above, was worth the 10%.

So maybe we won't get our full 10% worth. That's the gamble we take. But it's one taken thoughtfully and for a reason.

Edited by ScarlettMLB

Hey All,

I was just thinking this and thought I would put it out to all of you to get your feedback. My partner and I have been on 5 sailings so far with Celebrity, staying in Aqua Class for all sailings. We were talking the other night while looking at future bookings about what the current relevance is of CC in the ships? Now I will say I have never stayed in a basic Veranda class, however our friends were staying in CC on our last cruise with us and paid almost the same amount of $$ as we did but didn't get the perks with Blu and the Spa. So I ask, what exactly is the point of CC in the current X fleet? My thoughts would be to get rid of it, and have more suites and do something like "The Haven" setup on NCL. The reason I say this is that on our last B2B we got upgraded for free (first time that happened) to a Sky Suite and we really didn't see much of the perks of it and would of rather had Aqua instead so we didn't have to pay $5/pp each night for the first leg of the cruise. Curious to hear what your thoughts are, thanks and happy cruising!

Not everyone likes Aqua Class, and not everyone wants to eat at Blu. I for one love CC. I get a veranda, and a few nice perks. I do not consider eating at Blu anything special. It is actually a Con for me. I like eating in the MDR during late seating. :) I don't use the spa either. So I think it is good that they offer CC. Different people different tastes, and X tries to cater to all of us. :)

We have CC for our next cruise. We don't care for Aqua class, and actually, our CC is less expensive than a regular veranda. So, if I can pay less, and get an area of the ship that I like, I'm going to do it. The little perks are just a bonus.

I am trying to figure out if I should take exception to this post:confused: That is a pretty wide brush stroke that you have lumped me in. I do my research and know exactly what I am getting. I also do not book CC to be "special" :rolleyes: I prefer cabin location, (C2's on Sky deck (10) on S Class preferably", larger rooms on the M Class and a few of the amenities such as the foot stools on the balcony. It will not spoil my cruise if I sail in a reg balcony but if the price point meets our budget I will book CC every time.

I agree! :)

LOL as a first time cruiser I am doing a lot of my research after the booking.... :rolleyes: I did book CC but that was because it came up $49 less (for 3 of us) than the regular veranda. So like some have already said, the perks are just a little extraness....

• 2 weeks later...

Whew, after reading the first page of this thread, I was getting worried about booking Concierge Class for our first Celebrity cruise on the Solstice. We are used to the Elite perks on Princess so we thought, why not get a few perks and get the cabin location we want? Aqua Class was $300 pp more and with the mixed reviews here on Cruise Critic, it didn't seem worth it for us.

I am looking forward to sitting with my feet up on the balcony as we enter some of the ports in Hawaii.

I would have agreed with you until they converted the 9th floor rooms to AQ and added the deck 11 AQ....on all the "M" class ships...

I agree with the OP I don't see the value in a CC at all as far as "perks" are concerned...would rather spend a few more $$ and get AQ and Blu.....you know the saying......"for a nickel more you can go 1st class"..... well it may be more than a nickel but if you're looking at CC chances are you can afford AQ....so why not go for the better option??

For me the answer to that is, while I'd like to maybe one day stay in AQ, they are on higher decks...and I get seasick :( I didn't notice where they were on M class as I typically sail S class. I actually wouldn't want blu though, I'm a fussy eater and do OK in the MDR but might not in Blu lol.

I've sailed CC only to get the extra points. On M class i'll likely continue for the added size in the cabin but once i'm elite, I doubt i'll sail it on S class.

Agree wholeheartedly with posters that Celebrity could certainly do a better job of delivering existing cc benefits (although additional percs would always be appreciated). Sailed cc last March on Eclipse and have also booked cc on three upcoming sailings. Cost difference from regular veranda was insignificant and have no interest in Blu. DW greatly enjoyed expanded room service on the balcony, and when you're on a 14 day cruise and dealing with airline baggage limits it's nice to be able to leave things like binoculars and umbrellas back home. But "perks" such as flowers, fruit and afternoon snacks were kind of blah and could easily be jazzed up. Biggest disappointment for dw though, who always convinced they've lost our luggage, and can't relax until she's unpacked, was the non-"expedited luggage delivery". Arrived at ship at 11am but didn't receive our bags until after sail-away. By then she was ready to journey down to the bowels of the ship to find our luggage herself. That aside, she later declared Eclipse to be her favorite ship, and that to have been her favorite cruise.

I think there has been a little too much criticism of Concierge Class. Yes, I booked CC and have no regrets. The perks may be limited and some/most/all may be not that important to a lot of people, but there are some extras and I am looking forward to enjoying them. Is it worth the extra cost? That question applies to any perk--is Aqua Class (I have no interest in Blu, so no), is a a penthouse (I don't care about the extra space but some of the other amenities are nice, but I can't afford one and will not miss not being in a suite). For me I think the cost will be worth it, but I'll find out during my cruise (I was satisfied on my last CC cruise a few years ago). To each his (or her) own. The perks are listed by Celebrity and been described in more detail on these boards (with useful critiques) and some people are willing to pay for those extra perks. Everyone can make up their own mind as to whether they like any or all of the perks and if they are willing (and able) to pay for the extra cost after a personal cost/benefit analysis. So, to answer the OP's question--"yes, Concierge Class is still relevant."