Quantum /Anthem level of excitement not there

I'm not sure why, but with the new builds, I'm not as excited as I was with the last few new classes of ships. And so far none of the press releases have made me any more excited. Maybe it's just me but all of the dining and entertainment announcements (other than the bumper cars) have made me think more of an adult club / resort than a family cruiseship.

I'm not even sure if I've heard if they have a flow rider or a promenade.

Are these features just a given or have a missed some announcements?

I'm not sure why, but with the new builds, I'm not as excited as I was with the last few new classes of ships. And so far none of the press releases have made me any more excited. Maybe it's just me but all of the dining and entertainment announcements (other than the bumper cars) have made me think more of an adult club / resort than a family cruiseship.

I'm not even sure if I've heard if they have a flow rider or a promenade.

Are these features just a given or have a missed some announcements?

Have no intention of sailing on the Quantum, bumper cars really.Are the other amusement parks of the seas.

Quantum will have a Promenade but its spots have not been announced

see the current layout at:

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/quantumoftheseas/meet-the-ship/deck-plans/

you can see the top of ship plans at:

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/quantumoftheseas/meet-the-ship/on-board-experiences/

and yes it will have the Flowrider....is that a positive for you or a negative?

Well since RCI announced they were apparently ditching their loyalty to the American markets (which put them on the map in the FIRST PLACE), its not surprising that the buzz has dropped dramatically with not only these ships, but with the Oasis 3 & 4 vessels as well. I mean no disrespect to those European, Asian, etc. clients over the last 10-15 years, but with RCI's shift towards putting the latest and greatest ships overseas its as if the American customer base & ports didn't put them on the map in the first place. Honestly I have been really shocked that they didn't opt for a strategy of shifting the older-but-still-modern vessels (Oasis, Allure, Freedom, etc) overseas and porting the newest ships in their real bread & butter markets, showing loyalty to those who have made them the profitable company they have become. Really well played, Royal :rolleyes:. Last I checked, I've never heard of Apple debuting their latest tech overseas before the US markets, or for that matter McDonalds debuting their latest sandwich in Asia before their own home turf. SMH.

Well since RCI announced they were apparently ditching their loyalty to the American markets (which put them on the map in the FIRST PLACE), its not surprising that the buzz has dropped dramatically with not only these ships, but with the Oasis 3 & 4 vessels as well. I mean no disrespect to those European, Asian, etc. clients over the last 10-15 years, but with RCI's shift towards putting the latest and greatest ships overseas its as if the American customer base & ports didn't put them on the map in the first place. Honestly I have been really shocked that they didn't opt for a strategy of shifting the older-but-still-modern vessels (Oasis, Allure, Freedom, etc) overseas and porting the newest ships in their real bread & butter markets, showing loyalty to those who have made them the profitable company they have become. Really well played, Royal :rolleyes:. Last I checked, I've never heard of Apple debuting their latest tech overseas before the US markets, or for that matter McDonalds debuting their latest sandwich in Asia before their own home turf. SMH.

At the end of the day they are a business and will take their business where it is strongest. The US has far lower cruise fares than the rest of the world, probably because it is such a saturated market, it was only a matter of time that the company realised it was far more profitable to show some love to the markets that are contributing far more to their bottom line.

As you say it all started in the US but now cruising is growing in the rest of the world at a far more rapid pace and as a percentage cruising in the US is dwindling.

As an Australian we have been paying at least triple the fares that the US markets are paying for the most modern and preferred ship, only we are paying that for old hand me downs that US doesn't want anymore. Doesn't make sense to me that they look after US market... just because. If that market isn't willing to pay what the rest of the world is and will, than it's only fair they don't get rewarded for it I say.:p

My take on Quantum is that RCI was depending on Bermuda to dredge the port in time for Quantum to come out. With that not happening, they had to find a plan B which messed the entire launch of this class up.

Sent from my KFAPWI using Forums mobile app

I think once there is some more details and real life photos even a few user reviews excitement will build. This isn't a class of ship aimed at cruise traditionalists. I anticipate polarizing reviews and a good amount of buzz

I agree... Everything that has come out is kinda "eh" to me. Nothing has blown me away. They're all like "WOW! Lot's of restaurants!" And I'm all like "is there a place where I can get some sun?"

Guest maddycat
My take on Quantum is that RCI was depending on Bermuda to dredge the port in time for Quantum to come out. With that not happening, they had to find a plan B which messed the entire launch of this class up.

Sent from my KFAPWI using Forums mobile app

Exactly.

As soon as bookings opened I booked the Quantum for Dec 1 2014 & was initially excited, although having to fly to Cape Liberty in the winter was a concern. Then RCI started releasing more details and I reluctantly came to the conclusion that the ship was just not for me. Although I had a super deal for a solo, in one of the virtual balcony inside cabins, I cancelled (transferred my next cruise certificate to the BOGO sale and got an Alaska cruise tour at a great price).

As someone said, Quantum will probably not appeal to "traditionalists", which I guess to RCI means cruisers who have been their most loyal customers. Goldstein plainly said they are changing their focus to families and younger cruisers, although I'm not sure where they will find enough cruisers in those categories to fill these huge ships at huge prices. Seems as if it is the "old folks" who have been filling up the RCI ships.

As the details on dynamic dining came out and sample menus were posted I was underwhelmed. I do not want to make dining reservations a year ahead of time, in one of 4 free dining rooms, or wait until I get on the ship and line up with all of the other cruisers who do not have an iphone imbedded in their hand to use to make reservations. I do not want to pay $50 or more to eat in a specialty restaurant when I realize the new menu choices are not what I want or I can't get a reservation. I also don't want to pay for specialty entertainment (they are leaking that out slowly so as not to upset everyone). I was a little concerned when in a podcast Goldstein mentioned that the shows and announcements would be in Chinese, although they have not officially said if that would be before it goes over, you might assume they would be practicing before. I understand about pulling out because of Bermuda not coming thru (they don't want to say that & get Bermuda upset with them). I understand they think the Asian market will be more profitable, that is why the Promenade deck will be full of shops and no food outlets. Not sure if their marketing folks will be correct, I've spoken to several Asians who say they don't want to go on a ship that offers what they have at home. And they are insulted that RCI thinks they are gamblers & shoppers.

As an experienced cruiser I know that my opinions or preferences mean nothing to RCI, they only look at the bottom line. I will take my travel dollars and spend them where I get the best experience, cruise or land tour. I know I prefer the older smaller ships so I will book on them. If the existing Allure & Oasis cruises continue to drop in price (wonder what is causing that??) I will go back on them. And if RCI is wrong about their huge profits in the Asian market and bring new ships into US ports I may go on one, if it goes back to traditional dining and entertainment.

What makes cruising a great travel option is that there is still enough of a variety of ship options and itineraries to please everyone. And other cruise lines more than willing to market to the folks RCI has decided are too much of a bother :-).

I'm excited too. Booked Studio Balconies on Quantum and Anthem. I'm not into FlowRiders/Rockwalls, but the entertainment alone makes me wonder when I'm going to have time to sleep. The different food venues also appeal to me, along with the fact that whatever kids are on the ship will always have something to do.

Both these ships seem to be able to distribute pax thoroughly so as you're not feeling crowded.

Many people seem upset that the Quantum is moving to China, but there was never any reason RCL should keep the Quantum in the US. RCL is already dominating the market and demanding premium fares on Oasis/Allure. Keeping the Quantum in the US would take the spotlight away from Oasis/Allure and lower fares on Oasis/Allure. Keeping Quantum in the US would just take away passengers from Oasis/Allure. Moving Quantum to China allows RCL to become number 1 in a huge new market. Sorry if it offends anyone, but this was a great business decision for RCL

I WAS excited with I thought Quantum was going to be based at Cape Liberty but not too interested anymore.

I UNDERSTAND YOUR FEELINGS,But they can take that overpriced amusement park to china.Also the other two,maybe they will be impressed with bumper cars,and a dumb crane.Anywhere other then Cape Liberty.

But you have to look at it from a business standpoint, not from a avid cruisers standpoint. They aren't ditching the U.S. but rather expanding globally. And you can't compare the cruise industry to the tech industry or even fast food chains, not even a fair comparison! Most cruisers, and I mean 99% of cruisers, don't even post on these boards regularly. Point is, most people don't care and Royal isn't here to cater to a few Royal fans.

I do think their reveals have been lacking with this class, not because they aren't flashy or unique but they are just so small and dissapointing that they are diminishing the excitement for a lot of fans that were looking forward to this new build. I mean I thought we were supposed to get another big reveal "soon" after dining. We practically already knew everything they talked about related to the entertainment.

And if RCI is wrong about their huge profits in the Asian market and bring new ships into US ports I may go on one, if it goes back to traditional dining and entertainment.

They can't - the Quantum class doesn't have a single MDR big enough to make traditional dining possible.

I lost interest as RCI did not keep the buzz going, when Oasis was being built there seemed to be teasers and information released all the time to keep the interest up, since the initial announcement with quantum it seems to have fallen a little flat, that being said, I loved Oasis, I also loved Monarch though and all the classes inbetween so would hopefully sail on Quantum class at some point just to see what it's all about although we've never climbed a rockwall or gone on a flowrider, the zipline on Oasis was about all we did apart from find a nice spot to watch the sea go by - and eat!

I also have that feeling that I finally lost my interest on Quantum.

After Oasis it is hard to raise the bars. Yes, a lot of interesting elements are in Quantum.

But I'm missing the classics ... WHERE is the Royal Promenade ? Yes, I know there will be one. But look at the layout of the ship. How will I be sitting in a RCCL with no end-to-end or at least "endless" view ?

Split-structure: Heard it several times on ship, when the ship was still a secret, that Quantum will have a split structure. Nope. Did not come.

Central park: Nope.

The new types of restaurants will be nice to see, no MDR etc. Also Two70.

But: Bumper cars ?! How often do you think will an average passenger do that ? Same as the skydive simulator ?

I am more waiting for O3+4 hoping that they include some of the stuff that they will bring to Quantum.

On the other side I do appreciate the new destinations.

And finally I have a feeling that with all the new ships the prices may drop as capacity raises and maybe they don't manage that soon to hit the new markets/destinations...

Also Quantum and its size + flexible roof allow to finally hit other ports again. I don't want to go to Cozumel nor Labadee any more in the near future while there are so many other ports to see... having the new ships and the new ports is a perfect new thing! RCCL will leave the new ships partially in the US market so no worries. We will all have a chance to see them.

PS After 8 years of crusin and 9 RCCL cruises I finally do another cruise line this upcoming Jan ...

Edited by ChristianDecker

I think interest in the Quantum is lacking. I base that on my personal interest level and the fact the since we booked 11 months ago, the prices have remained stable. We booked a standard balcony for the 2/2/15 sailing and paid a very fair price - about $330/nite/cabin - and I expected big price increases to follow and they have not.

The disaster with the dining reservation system has been a big negative. Still considering cancelling but probably won't since we avoid air travel sailing out of NJ.

I agree... Everything that has come out is kinda "eh" to me. Nothing has blown me away. They're all like "WOW! Lot's of restaurants!" And I'm all like "is there a place where I can get some sun?"

Exactly! I feel like all the stuff they have announced are indoors and there really isn't any new things that are outdoors or with the pools.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Quantum has not even been built yet, so it’s not fair to judge it, but here are my observations and concerns anyway:

Quantum is a strange beast.

RCI have been famous in the past for ships with ‘wow’ spaces – Viking crown lounge, tall atriums, Royal Promenade’s, Studio B/Ice Rink, Aqua-theatre, Central Park and some large breath-taking dining rooms etc.

I was very surprised when I heard about ‘Dynamic Dining’ which is clearly inspired by NCL’s freestyle. However let’s be honest, NCL have had several decades practice at it.

The problem with ships with multiple dining rooms (Epic, Breakaway and Getaway for example) there is very little room for ‘wow’ spaces*. Evert inch of the ship becomes packed with dining options, bars and conventional entertainment spaces. RCI have thrown away one of their unique features. (Two70 may be the exception here).

However, RCI have been clever with Quantum. The ‘gimmicks’ such a the ‘Seaplex’ (with bumper cars), I-Fly and the ‘North Star’ (observation pod) are located on the top deck. After all there is little room inside the ship.

These ‘gimmicks’ will of course appeal to kids but they are hardly aimed at us grown-ups, are they?

Interestingly, much of the entertainment relies on Hi-Tech. Now I’m sure that flying video screens and laser-harps will all be very impressive, but will all these gadgets really help make ‘good’ shows?

I sometimes see modern movies and find myself saying “The special effects were fantastic, but the acting and the story was weak”. Will that be the case with Quantum’s show?

I’m not sure.