Online TA offers just $50 pp Deposit but......

........ final payment 190 days before cruise - really?:mad: I don't think so! That's 6 months before the cruise!!

Anyone else notice this? Gae

Gae i got the email too but its not a good deal making final payment 6 months out

........ final payment 190 days before cruise - really?:mad: I don't think so! That's 6 months before the cruise!!

Also in the Sunday paper travel lift out. Best get in quick, you only have until the end of the month for cruises in 2015&2016:rolleyes:

BTW they have a free cruise info evening coming up. Did you notice it's in the ritzy part of town - Lavender Bay.

Hugh

Decided not to post my comments on this except to say not ALL their final payments are early. The plot thickens.

Hugh, haven't seen the paper, will call you to see if it is the same online agency. If it is, they have been very professional to deal with - whilst the AU is trailing.

Cheers

Di

Edited by Dizziedi

Its been like that for about couple months. I think its not appropriate. I have booked a couple of cruises with them, however since this marketing change I will probably avoid unless they go back to what they were offerring. Only thing that would tempt me if it was a real baragin. But none of their cruises have been of late except a couple of solo fares on carnival.

So does the TA hold the final payment until cruiseline due date or do they send it on to cruiseline following payment?

If it is the former, I'd be very worried!

Oh yes they hold the payment. Thats how they offer reduced fares. Make the customers pay up early and get interest on the full payments before they pay the cruiseline. They are not the only ones doing this. The crowd with 'the Captain' are notorious for this lurk.

Why do we have to talk around this subject when this should be the very nub of what Cruise Critic is all about; helping, advising, information sharing, and alerting members to scams and pitfalls.

How can we do this when we are not allowed to name TAs.

We are not even allowed to give personal E mail addresses for interested members to contact us to get this information.

This rule is one of the most restrictive for Cruise Critic members.

John

Oh yes they hold the payment. Thats how they offer reduced fares. Make the customers pay up early and get interest on the full payments before they pay the cruiseline. They are not the only ones doing this. The crowd with 'the Captain' are notorious for this lurk.

They not reducing the fares though. I have been checking out prices with them and then checking out with the cruiseline direct. There is no real difference in savings.

Both this one and the Bums on Seats aka booking bunnies agency are doing this at the moment.

Why do we have to talk around this subject when this should be the very nub of what Cruise Critic is all about; helping, advising, information sharing, and alerting members to scams and pitfalls.

We are not even allowed to give personal E mail addresses for interested members to contact us to get this information.

John

Probably cause they get money from agencies through advertising that goes to pay for the upkeep of running this site. So they don't want to bite the hand that feeds them. Its a little bit of a conflict of interest I think.

John

when we registered with CC we are bound by their terms & conditions and if people dont agree with the t&c's not a lot you can do other than find another cruising site

when we registered with CC we are bound by their terms & conditions and if people dont agree with the t&c's not a lot you can do other than find another cruising site

That is true Bob.

The main reason they don't allow us to name TAs is because it is very easy for people to come on here and post a comment about a TA that is quite unjustified which in turn then causes that TA financial hardship - Cruise Critic would leave itself open to costly litigation. Of course, sometimes there is justification but the risk cannot be taken.

By the way, I rang the online company I have been dealing with (not the Captain) and have been told that the money is passed to the shipping line within three days of it being received by them. Having an understanding of how a trust account works, I believe this would be the case.

Cheers

Di

We don't need to know name of TA.

We just need to remember to read the fine print and not agree to payment six months in advance.

This is where CC excels in the sharing of knowledge.

Edited by MMDown Under

I have used the online TA for a booking next Sept that wants the payment in Feb. I am more than happy to pay considering the nice OBC I got is way more than the tiny amount of interest I could get.

The price I got is also less than Princess or the TA showing now. I was told that the normal cancellation policy still applies. While it's always nice to not pay until the last minute, I am happy with my cabin and my OBC.

I am always on the lookout for terms and conditions that have cancellation fees, or amendments fees. It ALL has to add up, and it is my understanding there has been some change in the travel compensation scheme?

I believe that as of 1 July 2015, they will no longer need to be licensed.

Cheers

Di

I am always on the lookout for terms and conditions that have cancellation fees, or amendments fees. It ALL has to add up, and it is my understanding there has been some change in the travel compensation scheme?

Yes, from 1st July, 2014, TAs don't have to be a member of the Travel Compensation Fund, nor be licensed.

Does anyone know what protection people buying travel from TAs will have from 1st July?

Edited by MMDown Under

I have used the online TA for a booking next Sept that wants the payment in Feb. I am more than happy to pay considering the nice OBC I got is way more than the tiny amount of interest I could get.

The price I got is also less than Princess or the TA showing now. I was told that the normal cancellation policy still applies. While it's always nice to not pay until the last minute, I am happy with my cabin and my OBC.

The risk, albeit small, is of the TA going under prior to September.

John

It's allowed to have your email address in your signature.[emoji1]

You can't request people email you though.

I see the T&C of the latest online agency email says that the money doesn't go into trust and the "Captain" is free to do what ever he likes with it.

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Tapatalk

I don't know who the captain is but that wasn't my online TA, well I don't think so. And yes there is the risk of the TA going under in the time before my cruise but I don't think they are taking my final payment early because they are planning too. Well I hope not :)

I rang the online TA and they stated they can offer the terms of not paying six months in advance and pay like a week before the cruise line final payment date is, however you will need to pay a larger deposit. i.e Carnival instead of $50 p.p would be $400 pp etc.

They also said if you paid six months prior to cruiseline final payment date that the money would be passed onto the cruiseline at that time..

Edited by icat2000

Oh yes they hold the payment. Thats how they offer reduced fares. Make the customers pay up early and get interest on the full payments before they pay the cruiseline.

That can't be the reason - it's not going to result in much interest to offer any reduction.

For example, say for $5000 payment 3 months early, at 3% interest, that's a whole $37.50.

Even if they were to pass that whole 'benefit' on, is it really going to be much marketing benefit, or sway people across to see a fare that is $19 cheaper (on a twin share basis)?

Can't see it myself.