$259 Freedom 12/21/14 cruise

Congrats to all who picked up some great holiday deals! I wish I was going!

OP, I get what you are saying about the sentimental value of celebrating the holidays at home. I felt that way until one year, during a moment of temporary insanity over killing myself once again to creat the perfect holiday for the whole extended family <grin>, I booked a Christmas cruise for just our family of four. And something magical happened! For a whole week, we spent quality time together instead of having to settle for a few minutes here and there between shopping, wrapping, decorating, baking, entertaining, going to concerts and parties...rinse and repeat...you know what I'm talking about! The ship was beautifully decorated, there were carol sing-a-longs, a gingerbread house decorating contest, a lovely Christmas Eve dinner and religious services, Santa came, pax were decked out in festive formal and casual wear, we snorkeled on Christmas Day, and it was fun to see the different Caribbean holiday traditions! So, we made a new "sappy" family holiday tradition and have been fortunate enough to repeat it several times since. (It was a good wake-up call to me about how to do Christmas at home, as well! I'm sure you aren't as nutty as I used to be--and now, I am more relaxed and focused on what's important, too!)

Anyway, more than you ever wanted to hear on the subject from a goofy stranger! But I just wanted to encourage you to "never say never." Some year, celebrating the holidays at sea might just be the perfect choice for your family!

Sent from my iPad using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app

Artemis, I am so glad you shared that with me! I definitely understand the need to slow down and really have quality time with your kids. Our youngest is on her way to college in August so who knows, maybe a cruise will be just the thing since our Christmases will never quite be the same again!

Lauri

Congrats to all who picked up some great holiday deals! I wish I was going!

OP, I get what you are saying about the sentimental value of celebrating the holidays at home. I felt that way until one year, during a moment of temporary insanity over killing myself once again to creat the perfect holiday for the whole extended family <grin>, I booked a Christmas cruise for just our family of four. And something magical happened! For a whole week, we spent quality time together instead of having to settle for a few minutes here and there between shopping, wrapping, decorating, baking, entertaining, going to concerts and parties...rinse and repeat...you know what I'm talking about! The ship was beautifully decorated, there were carol sing-a-longs, a gingerbread house decorating contest, a lovely Christmas Eve dinner and religious services, Santa came, pax were decked out in festive formal and casual wear, we snorkeled on Christmas Day, and it was fun to see the different Caribbean holiday traditions! So, we made a new "sappy" family holiday tradition and have been fortunate enough to repeat it several times since. (It was a good wake-up call to me about how to do Christmas at home, as well! I'm sure you aren't as nutty as I used to be--and now, I am more relaxed and focused on what's important, too!)

Anyway, more than you ever wanted to hear on the subject from a goofy stranger! But I just wanted to encourage you to "never say never." Some year, celebrating the holidays at sea might just be the perfect choice for your family!

You summed it up nicely. This will be our third year on board for Christmas with next year already booked.:)

I SAW IT.

Someone here posted a threaf, I went to check, and yes it was $260pp! My toddler wouldnt give me a momdnt, and as I finally clicked on it, my screen refreshed and IT WAS GONE.

Ugh. Someome got an incredible deal on a balcony for christmas!

lih66, happy you took my thoughts in the spirit I offered them! And considering your reply, I can't resist adding one more idea! I'm 3 yrs ahead of you on the empty nest. Our now big kids missed those Christmas cruises because once in college, they represented not only family holidays, but also a beach vacation between semesters! So I figured out that when the stars align, all of their fall semester stop dates are enough earlier than they were back in HS that we can do the cruise the week before Christmas, then have Christmas at home--the best of both worlds, plus, those cruise weeks between Thansgiving and Christmas are generally the lowest-priced of the year, and you get to enjoy most of the holiday specials, except the actual Christmas Eve and Day activities. Tempting, eh?! The only, slight negative of cruising at that time is that the demographics skew older, as many young people are, in fact, still in school, and many working people are extra-busy with the year-end crunch. Our kids haven't minded not having that many peers for socialization--they're usually blitzed and simply enjoy the kick-back time. But when they get the urge for some late night fun, it can be a challenge to find much happening! Even the old parents thought it was a tad slow <wink>. But sheesh, all things considered, it was great big fun! (And it forced me to get Christmas "done" early--an unexpected bonus, as Christmas week was then a total breeze!)

It is always fun talking cruises! Hope there's one in your future soon.

I SAW IT.

Someone here posted a threaf, I went to check, and yes it was $260pp! My toddler wouldnt give me a momdnt, and as I finally clicked on it, my screen refreshed and IT WAS GONE.

Ugh. Someome got an incredible deal on a balcony for christmas!

When I first looked after reading the other thread I did not see if eithre, even when going all the way thru the booking process.

Then I tried again and there it was a D2 for $361, I grabbed my credit card and booked and deposited it. I don't know if they could or would cancel a courtesy hold that got made at that price but I did not want to chance it.

I just looked and my reservations is still there.:)

Artemis, I have thought about the kids winter breaks already! They get done the beginning of Dec which would be the perfect time to cruise! We took DD out of high school last year for a week. As soon as our DS was done with college exams, we flew to Orlando and did the Disney parks one last time before everyone flys the coop! We were home 3 days before Christmas and what a crazy 3 days that was with last minute prep! I can envision us doing the same with cruises..I have never looked at pricing that time of year. Thanks for the encouragement!

We are low on booked cruises! Two tuition payments is putting a damper on cruising! But we always cruise in Feb or March when we cannot stand another minute of MI weather! We have an 11 day planned for Feb 15 and a 10 day for Oct 15 (25th anniversary cruise). Still trying to decide on Feb 16.

Have a great day! Lauri

When I first looked after reading the other thread I did not see if eithre, even when going all the way thru the booking process.

Then I tried again and there it was a D2 for $361, I grabbed my credit card and booked and deposited it. I don't know if they could or would cancel a courtesy hold that got made at that price but I did not want to chance it.

I just looked and my reservations is still there.:)

I did the same thing. I was too afraid to risk the courtesy hold (plus I already had a few holds yesterday for a summer cruise we were debating). I managed to get 3 adjacent cabins booked but really wanted 2 more for other friends but it was too late. Our reservations still look good this morning with those $390 balances for each cabin!!! Let's just say there was a LOT of excitement last night between my family and 2 friends who will be joining us. Best Christmas present for me in forever!

I did the same thing. I was too afraid to risk the courtesy hold (plus I already had a few holds yesterday for a summer cruise we were debating). I managed to get 3 adjacent cabins booked but really wanted 2 more for other friends but it was too late. Our reservations still look good this morning with those $390 balances for each cabin!!! Let's just say there was a LOT of excitement last night between my family and 2 friends who will be joining us. Best Christmas present for me in forever!

Interesting to see the price that you paid pp.

It looks like the prices kept going up slowly as people booked the cabins.

I was wondering if this was a human error or a result of their computer algorithm that adjusts pricing. I am tending to think now that this was a computer generated price reduction as if it had been a human error you would have thought the prices would have remained stable.

With the computer algorithm it would have noticed no sales of these categories in a specified time period and dropped the price of a predetermined number of cabins. As they start to sell the price goes up slowly until all the cabins allocated for the sale are sold and then the price reverts to normal.

I was the first to take advantage of this (from those on this board, could very well have been other random people elsewhere) and I paid $270pp CDN$ or about $250 US$.

Kind of funny that when I was on the phone with them she said the taxes were showing a bit higher on her system than what I saw in the computer. I laughed when she told me it would be an extra $3pp.:D

Whatever the cause of the great price I am one happy cruiser.:)

Interesting to see the price that you paid pp.

It looks like the prices kept going up slowly as people booked the cabins.

I was wondering if this was a human error or a result of their computer algorithm that adjusts pricing. I am tending to think now that this was a computer generated price reduction as if it had been a human error you would have thought the prices would have remained stable.

With the computer algorithm it would have noticed no sales of these categories in a specified time period and dropped the price of a predetermined number of cabins. As they start to sell the price goes up slowly until all the cabins allocated for the sale are sold and then the price reverts to normal.

I was the first to take advantage of this (from those on this board, could very well have been other random people elsewhere) and I paid $270pp CDN$ or about $250 US$.

Kind of funny that when I was on the phone with them she said the taxes were showing a bit higher on her system than what I saw in the computer. I laughed when she told me it would be an extra $3pp.:D

Whatever the cause of the great price I am one happy cruiser.:)

My invoice says category spcl for the discount-

Is that what it shows when you get one of the C&A Exclusive rates or is this discount something different entirely?

It must be different- That is what it says for the big amount off- there is also another line that says

CAS Rates -14.00

That is how the new C and A savings show on my other bookings

I also grabbed one of those D2's for $361 pp yesterday. Apparently RCCL's Revenue Dept made a mistake. They were supposed to drop the price to $1124, but instead listed the $1124 as a discount off the regular price, which made the fare $361 pp. I too paid my booking in full so they could not take it away.

I also grabbed one of those D2's for $361 pp yesterday. Apparently RCCL's Revenue Dept made a mistake. They were supposed to drop the price to $1124, but instead listed the $1124 as a discount off the regular price, which made the fare $361 pp. I too paid my booking in full so they could not take it away.

I only paid the deposit. Now you have me thinking maybe I should pay off the rest:confused:

Edited by molly361

Thanks for the info. Think I might just give them a call now and pay it off.:)

Edit.. Done. Paid in full with copy of guest booking invoice in hand.

Edited by Ourusualbeach

That explains the different prices. The prices in CDN$ were cheaper for that cruise to begin with and they took the same $1124 off.

lah66, you are way ahead of me! Love your Disney grand finale and your plans already on the books--early happy 25th! I hear ya on the tuition crunch (BTW one of our TX kids goes to college sorta near you--Chi; based on the winter he had this year, I totally get your need for a Feb break!). One benefit of the empty nest (there are a few consolations, sniff, sniff) is being able to grab a deal for two without regard to school schedules. ... Have a great one, too, and enjoy the summer full of college prep with your D!

DW and I got a balcony for the $390 pp price (+taxes, of course) and paid in full, saved and copied all documents, and decided not to give our booking to our TA in fear that it might cause a problem. We will not ask for our Diamond + balcony discount but may try for the stock holders' OBC - not sure whether this would be a bone-head move.

Maybe all who were able to catch this "special" price should meet at one of the bars on the ship for a special toast. We can talk about that on the M&M thread.

This will be our first Christmas cruise after 12 years of cruising. What a Christmas present we have gotten already! Thank you Royal.

Edited by Tagsalong

DW and I got a balcony for the $390 pp price (+taxes, of course) and paid in full, saved and copied all documents, and decided not to give our booking to our TA in fear that it might cause a problem. We will not ask for our Diamond + balcony discount but may try for the stock holders' OBC - not sure whether this would be a bone-head move.

Maybe all who were able to catch this "special" price should meet at one of the bars on the ship for a special toast. We can talk about that on the M&M thread.

This will be our first Christmas cruise after 12 years of cruising. What a Christmas present we have gotten already! Thank you Royal.

Probably a good idea to avoid asking for the balcony discount. They are been re-pricing cruises when people ask for the discount to be applied.

I also just went and paid in full. I am not asking for my balcony discount . Don't want to push my luck-

I have a B of A ward on my other 11/30 FOS reservation. I had that switched to another 2015 reservation as I was a little leery of switching that to this one. Did not want to call attention to my booking:rolleyes:

Talk to you on the Roll call thread

Edited by molly361

I am overjoyed for all of you!! What a blessing this is to your families!

This was the second pricing mistake on this cruise in the past two weeks. I originally started this thread 10 days ago. Those prices were corrected ASAP. And now another price went in wrong on Tuesday? I only heard of one person getting the $259 inside rate. I love that more people were able to cash in on their second mistake. I may put a watch on this cruise in hopes to get an earlier head's up!

An interesting observation. I can see the $259 inside rate from this past weekend when I go to the historical price on the cruise price checker website. But the price you all got on the balcony room does not show up in the pricing history. Hmmmm... Maybe the low price was valid for such a short time that the price checker website did not get the update! How did you all manage to see that low price? Did you just happen to be looking at the cruise at the precise moment? You must all live well!!!

Lauri

Edited by lah66

This was the second pricing mistake on this cruise in the past two weeks. I originally started this thread 10 days ago. Those prices were corrected ASAP. And now another price went in wrong on Tuesday? I only heard of one person getting Saturday's $259 inside rate. I love that more people were able to cash in on their second mistake. I may put a watch on this cruise in hopes to get an earlier head's up!

An interesting observation. I can see the $259 inside rate from this past weekend when I go to the historical price on the cruise price checker website. But the price you all got on the balcony room does not show up in the pricing history. Hmmmm... Maybe the low price was valid for such a short time that the price checker website did not get the update! How did you all manage to see that low price? Did you just happen to be looking at the cruise at the precise moment? You must all live well!!!

Lauri

I looked at that site your are talking about as well and did not see yesterdays price drop either which I thought was odd. I would say it was there for around 1 1/2 to 2 hours as near as I can tell.

A CC'er started a thread about the price yesterday at 3:30, I had it booked by 3:45 and some others said they booked it a little after 4pm- I know it was gone shortly after 5pm.

Edited by molly361

This was the second pricing mistake on this cruise in the past two weeks. I originally started this thread 10 days ago. Those prices were corrected ASAP. And now another price went in wrong on Tuesday? I only heard of one person getting the $259 inside rate. I love that more people were able to cash in on their second mistake. I may put a watch on this cruise in hopes to get an earlier head's up!

Lauri

I had booked a pair of insides the day prior and was checking prices to see about upgrading to a pair of promenades when I saw the price drop. Booked my 2 cabins then I posted a separate thread here on CC letting people know about the drop.

Your right about not showing up on the tracker. It was only up for less than 2 hours and only select categories.

If you don't mind my asking did you get your balcony discount on it? I am not pushing it and asking for it. Just wondering if anyone did get that as well.