young boy's aged 11 and 16 smart shorts mdr

Not all traffic laws are uniformly enforced, but they still are the rules of the road.

If you do not wish to follow the cruiselines "dress code" then sail on a Cruiseline that allows you to dress in the manner most comfortable to you.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

But those rules are there for safety reasons, ostensibly. We have statistics that show injury or death occurs as a result of ignoring traffic laws.

If we wish for a dress code change we can ask and lobby Royal to enact a change. Things are not the same as they were many years ago. Do you remember first and second seating....for breakfast and lunch! Obviously at some point in time it was the way and was normal. but times changed and they moved to open seating for breakfast and lunch as well as adding additional casual venues. Dinner used to be fixed time ONLY. If you were late the doors were locked, no my time dining, go order room service! Policies change to reflect the values of guests.

I enjoy Royal Caribbean cruises. I see nothing wrong asking them to make a change in a policy versus taking my annual 5 digit spend to another cruiseline.

For me, it's not a matter of the "rule" -- I find it mind-boggling that someone would even feel the slightest bit comfortable walking into a beautiful, elegant venue like the MDR wearing shorts...

AND, we're just talking about dinner here, for pete's sake!

Ok, so my next question is, WHY does the time of day have anything to do with it? Why does it matter that its dinner and not breakfast or lunch?

Shorts are allowed in the "beautiful, elegant venue" that is the MDR for breakfast and lunch. Its the same table settings and the same wait staff so that argument is weak at best.

I think LMaxwell is onto something here when he/she said that people have more problem with the rule being broke than the actual rule itself.

I just hope that you all that are so against the rules being broke dont engage in bringing your own water or soda aboard. I also hope you chastise those that do the same as you do those who want to wear shorts in the MDR for dinner.

Just a thought.

For me, it's not a matter of the "rule" -- I find it mind-boggling that someone would even feel the slightest bit comfortable walking into a beautiful, elegant venue like the MDR wearing shorts... And find it terribly sad that parents aren't using situations like dinner on a cruise ship as opportunities to teach their children about dressing appropriately for different settings. And then as a society we're befuddled when some young person shows up for a job interview in wrinkled clothes and flip-flops.

And some of us find hyperbole a bit mind boggling, but that doesn't stop someone from making the leap from Dinner in the crazy atmosphere known as the main dining room on a boat to "showing up for a job interview in wrinkled clothes and flip-flops".

Frankly, I don't see the MDR as all that elegant or beautiful. It is the room where they serve the food, and so that is where we go. If they served the same food on deck, we'd eat there weather permitting as I'd rather have a view.

Not all traffic laws are uniformly enforced, but they still are the rules of the road.

If you do not wish to follow the cruiselines "dress code" then sail on a Cruiseline that allows you to dress in the manner most comfortable to you.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Do you EVER carry your own water or soda on board? :confused: Serious question.

If we wish for a dress code change we can ask and lobby Royal to enact a change.

I enjoy Royal Caribbean cruises. I see nothing wrong asking them to make a change in a policy versus taking my annual 5 digit spend to another cruiseline.

This is the answer. As a recent poll indicated, the majority of cruisers on this site noted that they either supported or didn't care about shorts in the MDR during casual dinner nights. These people need to fill out their comment cards, send emails, call customer service, etc. and voice their opinion. If warranted, RCL will amend its policy.

Until then, it's a rule and as others have noted here, it should be followed for that reason alone.

I just hope that you all that are so against the rules being broke dont engage in bringing your own water or soda aboard. I also hope you chastise those that do the same as you do those who want to wear shorts in the MDR for dinner.

Just a thought.

To me, the difference is that people wearing shorts to dinner are (intentionally or otherwise) publicly announcing that they are not complying with the published rule.

I would have no idea (nor do I care) if someone is bringing on water or soda.

You should care. The cruise line makes big $$$$ of soda and water sales. Do you bring your own drinks to restaurants, movie theaters, baseball games, etc? You may not see people do it, but that cuts directly in to cruise line profits, which ultimately leads to higher cruise fare for everyone.

Just some food for thought there. I care more about the money coming out of my wallet than what someone's legs are or are not sheathed with.

To me, the difference is that people wearing shorts to dinner are (intentionally or otherwise) publicly announcing that they are not complying with the published rule.

A rule is a a rule. Why differentiate between someone being sneaky about breaking the rules and someone being open about breaking the rules? Very contradictory.

You know, the only thing that would really solve the dress code in the MDR is to make it an additional charge, then I say they can make the dress code any way they want and no one could complain.

It's really a lot simpler than that.

The new dining program on Anthem and Quantum fixes everything. This tired, old message board argument flies out the window to the past when/if this becomes standard fleet-wide.

No one complains about dial-up internet because it has basically gone the way of the dodo.

No one complains about the high cost of developing film from your vacation because the only people left who develop actual film GO OUT OF THEIR WAY TO USE FILM.

Problems evaporate when procedures move past them. The traditional dining room on Royal ships could be on the way out. COULD BE, depending on the success/failure of the program on the new ships. If it does, as it legitimately appears it might, this problem solves itself. If you want to dress up, you go to a dining room filled with the millions and millions and millions (ha!) of other cruisers who respect the fine traditions of the formal dining experience. The 6 of us (that's basically what is said in all of these threads... it's everyone except a few bums!) bums who don't will have to go to the normal dining room.

We'll see.

Edited by poncho1973

Frankly, I don't see the MDR as all that elegant or beautiful. It is the room where they serve the food, and so that is where we go. If they served the same food on deck, we'd eat there weather permitting as I'd rather have a view.

"The room where they serve the food"... Bless your heart, that might be the most jaded thing I've ever heard. Cruising is still a privelege to me, and I look forward to the, yes, beautiful and elegant MDR.

Just to clarify -- The MDR, Windjammer, Johnny Rockets, they're all the same to you, ambience-wise? McDonald's serves food too, but we don't dress up to eat there... we know the difference between that and a nice restaurant.

I think that it all comes down to are you going to follow the rules that have been specified or not? There is a sign outside the dining room saying that shorts, hats and sleeveless tops for men were not appropriate attire at dinner. You are either going to read that and respect it and follow the rules or you are not. Personally I am a rule follower. No, I have never brought soda/water or liquor onboard. My family has always followed the rules. We taught our son to follow the rules in life. Whether these rules will be relaxed one year, five years, next month is irrelevant - right now those are what are requested of us.

Bless your heart

As a guy with a VERY Southern mother, I know exactly what you are expressing here.

I learned something new from a British friend we had visiting us last week. The Brits use this same concept except they say "Bless your cotton socks."

I looked it up on my phone and it said this was used for actual affection and as a saying after someone sneezed... but our guest assured us that it's not. It's the exact same as the Southern "Bless your heart."

Basically... "awww, you poor, stupid creature"

Am I missing something, because I don't see where it says that shorts are forbidden (from the Royal Caribbean FAQs):

There are three distinct types of evenings onboard: casual, smart casual and formal. Suggested guidelines for these nights are:

Casual: Sport shirts and slacks for men, sundresses or pants for women

Smart Casual: Jackets and ties for men, dresses or pantsuits for women

Formal: Suits and ties or tuxedos for men, cocktail dresses for women

It gives suggested guidelines, and no suggestion is made that shorts are not appropriate. Isn't this thread about casual nights?

The dress threads are so amusing. It really boggles the mind how long they can go on with people never seeing eye to eye and never tiring of the debate:D Not to fear people, there will be another one next week and you can restate the same arguements over and over and over........:D In the meantime people will still be wearing tuxedo's and shorts in the sacred MDR..........................................

Am I missing something, because I don't see where it says that shorts are forbidden (from the Royal Caribbean FAQs):

There are three distinct types of evenings onboard: casual, smart casual and formal. Suggested guidelines for these nights are:

Casual: Sport shirts and slacks for men, sundresses or pants for women

Smart Casual: Jackets and ties for men, dresses or pantsuits for women

Formal: Suits and ties or tuxedos for men, cocktail dresses for women

It gives suggested guidelines, and no suggestion is made that shorts are not appropriate. Isn't this thread about casual nights?

Currently, it is printed in the Compass (although VERY small print) that "shorts are not permitted for dinner" and also on a sign outside most of the MDRs. :)

The dress threads are so amusing. It really boggles the mind how long they can go on with people never seeing eye to eye and never tiring of the debate:D Not to fear people, there will be another one next week and you can restate the same arguements over and over and over........:D In the meantime people will still be wearing tuxedo's and shorts in the sacred MDR..........................................

But if for each thread started, we can at least have one additional person think with an open mind without hurling insults, it's all worth it. ;)

Good points.

Edited by ryano

I find it interesting how little faith some people have in teenagers to not know the right way to behave and dress, and how the parents are held responsible for not teaching them "properly".

When we cruise, my teens will dress on formal night in the suggested dress code. They do wear pants most of the time on casual nights, but yes, we have been the parents who have allowed them to wear khaki or pastel shorts with a polo or oxford at least a few times.

My 16 year old had an interview today for a internship, in his father's medical practice no less. Just a formality, and experience of interviewing with the practice manager, we know he has the internship. Without my suggestion or input, he just appeared wearing pants, shirt, tie and blazer because an "interview is important". So, apparently the two or three times he wore shorts in the MDR has not completely ruined him yet!

I always feel for the OP when these threads come up, you know ...remember her, way back there on post number one...the lady who just asked a question? LOL!

You'd think she had asked, "which religion is best?" or "should I vote democrat or republican?" I'm sure she never thought when she asked this question it would be like dropping one of THOSE bombs at Thanksgiving dinner? If I was her, I'd have canceled the cruise by now;) Or maybe she and her sons check in here every a night after dinner and snicker at the hilarity of it all!

Edited by Familygoboston

A rule is a a rule. Why differentiate between someone being sneaky about breaking the rules and someone being open about breaking the rules? Very contradictory.

I completely agree. My point really was that one was done more privately and the other was done publicly.

My "proof" is the many posters who have posted here in the many dress code threads about having personally witnessed people being turned away. If you haven't seen those posts, it can only be because you don't want to see them.

And yes, I've read that blog from Goldstein, its fairly old at this point. I'll note that one of the very early sentences says "If the dining room staff notices guests entering the dining room who are not dressed according to the guidelines they should notify the guest." I guess you didn't want to see that either, huh? ;)

Yep, with the key word being "should", not "MUST". ;)

Im pretty sure what posters claimed they have seen on ships is considered a credible source too :rolleyes: At least I have provided a credible source of information instead of going by hearsay... Though it is quite obvious that even Adam G. cant answer the question with a definitive and clear response!

You'd think she had asked, "which religion is best?" or "should I vote democrat or republican?" I'm sure she never thought when she asked this question it would be like dropping one of THOSE bombs at Thanksgiving dinner? If I was her, I'd have canceled the cruise by now;) Or maybe she and her sons check in here every a night after dinner and snicker at the hilarity of it all!

Right? I've been an active participant in many types of forums over the years, including parenting forums with their ever-present 'mommy wars.' People didn't get as heated over real hot button issues as I've seen on this forum. From what I've observed, this is not a terribly friendly or fun-loving place. Which is weird considering we're all here to talk about, of all things, vacation?!