Just Off the Golden to Alaska, RT Seattle 6/7-14/2014. Buckle Up!

monk888

I have had no trouble ever getting a cold glass of tap water at the IC bar.

I haven't either, in fact Grand Princess had a large urn of iced water and plenty of glasses so people could help themselves.

Sometimes you encounter poorly trained staff. I figured out that I need to ask someone else when I get an answer I think is wrong. I also think that more of those untrained staff end up on the Golden than anywhere else (and I have no concrete evidence whatsoever to back that up.)

I have first hand experience with the Golden. They have some top notch staff. Some of the best I've had. The maître d'hôtel (Guiseppe Gelmini/forgive my spelling since I don't have the means to look him up) was excellent and now is on the Regal. From stewards to servers who remember me from cruise to cruise, they were the best. The sales staff in Facets...and the list goes on. These were not first timers. Of course, they do rotate according to the season and may not be on the Alaskan run since they were on the Hawaii voyages and South America.

I have first hand experience with the Golden. They have some top notch staff.

As I say, I have no concrete evidence to suggest otherwise, but I had the impression I encountered more "newbies" on the Golden than anywhere else. Maybe it was just my luck!

As I say, I have no concrete evidence to suggest otherwise, but I had the impression I encountered more "newbies" on the Golden than anywhere else. Maybe it was just my luck!

I hope you will consider a short coastal this fall on the Golden before she heads to Australia. Good opportunity to enjoy the Golden. I think she has the best layout of the grand class ships (Star, Grand, Golden).

I hope you will consider a short coastal this fall on the Golden before she heads to Australia. Good opportunity to enjoy the Golden. I think she has the best layout of the grand class ships (Star, Grand, Golden).

As a matter of fact, I am! Going to give her another chance. :)

I have first hand experience with the Golden. They have some top notch staff. Some of the best I've had. The maître d'hôtel (Guiseppe Gelmini/forgive my spelling since I don't have the means to look him up) was excellent and now is on the Regal. From stewards to servers who remember me from cruise to cruise, they were the best. The sales staff in Facets...and the list goes on. These were not first timers. Of course, they do rotate according to the season and may not be on the Alaskan run since they were on the Hawaii voyages and South America.

We have many trips on the Golden just because of the above..

Mike:)

Thanks Monk, for your thorough and honest review of your recent trip. I will be taking my first cruise on the Golden Princess RT Seattle/Alaska/Seattle in mid July. I'm looking forward to it! As I continue to research and prepare for the trip, I'll be mindful of your comments as I experience the cruise first-hand. We too, will have a mini suite on the Dolphin deck. We have two kids (aged 6 & 3), so we wanted a larger balcony to accommodate everyone.

Question - did you or anyone in your group purchase the all unlimited beverage package? I am seriously considering it, since it is after all, vacation.

We are definitely eating at Sabatini's (we're Italians too) and are seriously considering the Crown Grill...despite them discontinuing their famous (at least on CC) scalloped potatoes...ha ha!

In general, I'm not a buffet person....so the numerous reports of underwhelming food from Horizon Court, plus the mass hoards of "get all you can" types is a BIG turn off! I prefer to be served in the MDR or specialty restaurant. I do look forward to the International Cafe...as I've read many positive reviews.

Mainly, I'm excited to see Alaska and to spend time with the family!! I am in the music business and prefer to ignore music....since I have to deal with it everyday. So lounge acts are expected...which is perfectly acceptable to.

Thanks for the Crab Shack tip...I may check it out.

How was Vines? I plan to sample some bottles whilst onboard.

I will report upon my return.

In reference to "newbies," just remember everyone has been "new" at one time or another.

Golden has wonderful staff who all work very, very hard. We will be on her mid July and look forward to the vacation they provide.

Thanks Monk, for your thorough and honest review of your recent trip. I will be taking my first cruise on the Golden Princess RT Seattle/Alaska/Seattle in mid July.

Question - did you or anyone in your group purchase the all unlimited beverage package? I am seriously considering it, since it is after all, vacation.

From the Princess web site: Package is not currently offered on Dawn, Golden, Ocean, Pacific, Regal, Sea and Sun Princess.

@caribill - Actually, Princess must be slow to update their website. I spoke with a CSR last week, citing the item which you posted. I was informed, as of 21 June 2014, beverage package is offered on Golden Princess. For whatever reasoning, roll out was delayed.

A colleague just returned from sailing on the Golden Princess, she informed me they were offering the package.

Edited by upgradeluvr

@caribill - Actually, Princess must be slow to update their website. I spoke with a CSR last week, citing the item which you posted. I was informed, as of 21 June 2014, beverage package is offered on Golden Princess. For whatever reasoning, roll out was delayed.

A colleague just returned from sailing on the Golden Princess, she informed me they were offering the package.

Good to hear. This is not the first time that the web site did not represent reality.

Came into this late but one note about the port..

Princess does not provide or control the longshoremen pre-terminal. They do have a contract that specifies certain levels of response, but usually have little recourse if there is a work action or anything day of embarkation.

I'm not sure if Seattle is staffed at check in by Princess or by a contractor, so can't speak to that, but anything up until you get in the check in line, Princess has minimal control at that point. They can only address it (and should) when the contract is up for renewal.

At some ports, there is only one service provider, so even then the cruise line's only leverage is not to sail from there, which is not realistic for Seattle/Alaska.

Thanks for sharing your experiences. I'm sorry you were disappointed by some things on your cruise. Maybe another cruise line will be better for you. Good luck in finding that.

This thread just proves that everyone is different and everyone has different expectations. You can't make everyone happy all the time.

I have to preface this by saying I've never sailed on the Golden Princess, but I have been on several Princess cruises. Personally, I eat most of my meals in the Horizon Court. I hate spending hours in the MDR every night. I really enjoy and look forward to the salad bar. It's different on each ship, but it's mostly good. On my last cruise, I went to Sabatini's, Crown Grill, Crab Shack, MDR for lunch and dinner, lido deck pizza and the International Café. I was most disappointed in Sabatini's. I loved the Crab Shack. I thought some of the food in the International Café was not nearly as good as on other Princess ships. I had a great meal in the Crown Grill. Had good service in the MDR. I had some wonderful salads in the Horizon Court. Pizza was decent. Someone else could have had a completely different experience on the same cruise because food is so subjective. I didn't let my disappointing meal in Sabatini's affect my enjoyment of the cruise. I used the hand sanitizer even though I know it isn't effective against noro. It does work on other things. I don't let chipped paint or things like that bother me much. Also, I don't care about entertainment, but I know some people really do care about that.

That said, I went on my single HAL cruise once and had one bad experience after another. I've never been back on a HAL ship. I tried the Celebrity Equinox a couple years back. I was disappointed in their food and bored with their buffet. I have been on a Carnival cruise where the food was nearly inedible, but that was a long time back and I know they've improved. Princess generally provides me with a good cruise experience. Is everything perfect? No, but I know I'll be treated well and can count on having a good cruise. I keep coming back. Everyone is different, though, and Princess may not be for everyone.

Thanks Monk, for your thorough and honest review of your recent trip. I will be taking my first cruise on the Golden Princess RT Seattle/Alaska/Seattle in mid July. I'm looking forward to it! As I continue to research and prepare for the trip, I'll be mindful of your comments as I experience the cruise first-hand. We too, will have a mini suite on the Dolphin deck. We have two kids (aged 6 & 3), so we wanted a larger balcony to accommodate everyone.

We are definitely eating at Sabatini's (we're Italians too) and are seriously considering the Crown Grill...despite them discontinuing their famous (at least on CC) scalloped potatoes...ha ha!

In general, I'm not a buffet person....so the numerous reports of underwhelming food from Horizon Court, plus the mass hoards of "get all you can" types is a BIG turn off! I prefer to be served in the MDR or specialty restaurant. I do look forward to the International Cafe...as I've read many positive reviews.

Mainly, I'm excited to see Alaska and to spend time with the family!! I am in the music business and prefer to ignore music....since I have to deal with it everyday. So lounge acts are expected...which is perfectly acceptable to.

Thanks for the Crab Shack tip...I may check it out.

How was Vines? I plan to sample some bottles whilst onboard.

I will report upon my return.

Upgradeluvr,

Thanks. No, I did not purchase the all you can drink package. I don't drink enough to make it worth the cost for me. Regarding Vines, I never went in there, but I will tell you it was quite busy on certain nights. People seemed to be enjoying themselves.

I have never had a bad meal at Sabatini's. As I said in my review, I suggest making reservations as soon as you board. Regarding the Crown Grill, I think that my experience had more to do with our waiter than with the establishment itself. On son and my buddy had nothing but praise for their meals.

Regarding your kids, remember that there is a small game arcade on the Golden for their enjoyment. Also, they have the kids clubs with organized activities.

By the way, in my review, I did not mention the excursions. We only went on two; the trip to the Mendenhall Glacier and the train ride on the White Pass line to the Yukon. We loved both of them. We took the bus from the ship to the Mendenhall Glacier. We toured the Visitor Center and hiked to Nugget Falls. Nice easy path. No problem for those in good shape. Believe me, it is worth it. It was one of the highlights of our trip. Absolutely stunning. You can walk right up to the falls and quite close to the glacier itself.

The train ride on the White Pass Railway is great too. The train backs up quite close to the ship. Each rail car is very comfortable. They are heated and each has a bathroom. You can stand outside in the front and the rear of each car for photo ops or to catch the cool breeze. You cannot walk between cars. The views are absolutely breathtaking. The train actually crosses from Alaska into Canada, but you never get off. You just get to a turn around point, make a circle and go back the way you came. It takes about 3hrs, 15 min. round trip and drops you back down by the ship.

As I mentioned before, if you are going to be in Seattle the day before and are looking for a great seafood place, try Elliott's Oyster House on Pier 56. Absolutely fantastic with great seafood and great views, right on Puget Sound. In Juneau, save room for the best Alaskan King Crab legs of your life at Tracy's Crab Shack right on the docks. I have attached a shot I took of the Golden in Glacier Bay. Absolutely stunning place.

Enjoy!

1949597039_GoldeninGlacierBay.jpg.1fb2707e5cf37de4b11cc6e523a5b558.jpg

• 2 months later...
I have chosen to respond to this particular post because it graphically displays a certain attitude that rears its head on this forum from time to time: "Kill the messenger!"

I was on the Golden, just as I said. I told you of my experiences. If you want to mock what I have to say, that's fine. I was on three (3) prior cruises with Princess with my family and had a great time each and every time. That's why I chose Princess to Alaska, plus the fact that it went to Glacier Bay. If you want to discount and trivialize what I have to say, so be it.

I posted my review because I thought others might benefit from it. I also posted it because I believe that Princess representatives read this Board. It is my feeling that by pointing out what I believe to be areas for improvement, they may read it, investigate what I said, and make corrections where deemed appropriate for the good of all. However, some such as this poster, don't see it that way. They choose to act like taunting little children on a playground.

I received the follow up e-mail survey from Princess and filled it out truthfully. I told them of all of these issues and gave them my name and phone number, inviting them to call me. if they have an interest in addressing what I feel to be some issues that should be addressed, they will call me. If not, that's fine too.

I'm sorry if the truth offends some, but as I have said, my review is just my personal opinion. Take it or leave it. Happy Cruising!

Well said from the high road (not the high horse. There's a difference, people).

We're taking this cruise next year and your recap was extremely informative. I think you have every right to your reactions and that some things just have a certain expectation to them that is annoying if it is not met. I'm going to try to relax on our cruise and not let some things get to me, but if there's something to report I'll be right back here to make a note.

My husband and I have a habit of constant "temperature taking" while traveling (did we like that? would we do that again? on a 5 to 10 scale, was that a 9?). It can get in the way of our enjoyment if we're not careful.

Thanks so much for your report!