Does my 4yr old need a passport?

KK70726

Can someone tell me if my child needs a passport or is her birth cert enough. We both have passports coming but I never thought to if she would need one or not. We are going to the Bahamas, Half Moon Cay and Grand Turk.. THank you

We both have passports coming...

Good, then you don't have to even worry about this. A passport opens her up to the entire world. By the way it trumps every other ID, birth certificate included. If you take her passport, you do not have to take her BC (could get lost, torn, damaged, etc.).

Who is "we both" are you referring to yourself and your child OR you and your husband have passports coming but not the little one ??

Generally and some cruiselines have stricter rules... But if your child is a US citizen and the birth certificate show both parents names and that the child was born in the US (not abroad or adopted) then all you need is that Government Issued (not the hospital one) birth certificate.

I am assuming that both parents are sailing with the child. If only one is sailing then you will need to provide more documentation.

Also assuming as you state you are doing a "Closed Loop" cruise, starting and ending in the same US port.

For further info on what your Cruiseline requires make sure you carefully read all the info on their website regarding requirements for traveling.

DO NOT BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU READ ON CRUISE CRITIC.... Verify for yourself all information regarding documents required to travel.

Have a great cruise!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Edited by nana541

If she is a US citizen and the cruise starts and ends in the same US city then a government issued birth certificate is sufficient unless your cruise line imposes a stricter requirement. In the event something happens and you have to fly back you would need to obtain an emergency travel document from the State Department, so what you have to do is analyze the risk of having to leave the ship early (for example, something happening back home that would require you to cut your trip short).

Whoops, understood, nana. I made have misinterpreted OP's post, you are right. I hope s/he will come back and clarify, and provide Nationality and itinerary information.

No I could have misunderstood, the OP is not very clear... Not enough info!

Im sorry. My sister and I are going on a Cruise. It leaves and returns to the same port FT Lauderdale. Im taking my daughter with me. My name is the only name on Birth Certificate. She was born In the US.. Do I need a passport. Is it simpler just to have one for her?

Im sorry. My sister and I are going on a Cruise. It leaves and returns to the same port FT Lauderdale. Im taking my daughter with me. My name is the only name on Birth Certificate. She was born In the US.. Do I need a passport. Is it simpler just to have one for her?

Why are you sorry :)? She does not need a passport. As long as the birth certificate was issued by the government and not the hospital you will be able to sail with that. My kids have cruised 10 times in the last 12 years since they were 4 and 7 with only their BC (plus DL after they turned 16) with no issues.

I think you are good, but be sure and check the cruise line website..... And if no one but you is on that BC that should be ok too....

You might also Google the US Govt site and read able single parents traveling with children .... Just in case!

Have a great time!

Since both parents are not traveling, please look into documentation you may need to take your daughter out of the country. You may well need documented permission from her father.

Since both parents are not traveling, please look into documentation you may need to take your daughter out of the country. You may well need documented permission from her father.

The father per the OP is not named on the BC... She needs to research that a bit further but .....

KK70726 .............................................

I must apologize for the zealousness of my fellow posters. As you are a new poster, they should have shown a little more compassion instead of beating you up!

As you are the only name on the birth certificate, that should prove sole custody, BUT Murphy's Law does prevail. Please check with the cruise line for the real scoop on this pertaining to your itinerary. The only problem that I can see would be IF you needed to fly home early for any reason, the child would need a passport. Have a great cruise.:)

I must apologize for the zealousness of my fellow posters. As you are a new poster, they should have shown a little more compassion instead of beating you up!

Wow, really? I find this comment to be very peculiar. NO ONE here "beat her up", my goodness. There was genuine help in this thread. I'm sorry you feel otherwise. :(

.:)

Hello??? Have you read this thread? Of all the nastiness on CC this entire thread has been polite and helpful. No one has lectured the OP and frankly ALL have provided helpful and kind information.

Some initial clarification was requested and I think this has been a very nice conversation. Possibly you failed to read the full conversation?

Edited by nana541

Can someone tell me if my child needs a passport or is her birth cert enough. We both have passports coming but I never thought to if she would need one or not. We are going to the Bahamas, Half Moon Cay and Grand Turk.. THank you

Your citizenship documents -- whether they are birth certificates or passports -- will be checked when you board the ship and when you re-enter the US. So the places you're visiting don't really matter for this question. Once you're established as a ship passenger, they'll give you a ship ID, and that is what you'll use during your cruise -- including leaving and returning to the ship.

Good, then you don't have to even worry about this. A passport opens her up to the entire world. By the way it trumps every other ID, birth certificate included. If you take her passport, you do not have to take her BC (could get lost, torn, damaged, etc.).

Passports don't trump other ID at our state drivers license bureau. I overheard a heated conversation in which a mother was angry that her child couldn't get a state-issued ID card using a passport as one of his two pieces of ID. I checked it later, and -- sure enough -- passports are not allowed as ID. I'll admit that doesn't make sense, given that Social Security cards and official school report cards are allowed.

I also don't get the concern about a birth certificate being lost, torn or damaged -- those same things could happen to a passport, if the individual isn't bring careful with it. And a birth certificate can be replaced by driving down to the Clerk of Courts (assuming you live where the child was born). I could have another copy of my children's birth certificates in an hour. I could not replace a passport so easily.

Personally, I think the weakness of both these forms of ID is that they don't fit into your wallet and are relatively easy to damage. I'd like to see something along the line of a national drivers license become standard. Skip the booklet, keep the records electronically, make it a small, easy to carry laminated card. It would be a step forward.

Edited by MrsPete

No, a US citizen leaving the US and returning back to the US by cruise ship needs only a birth certificate (and photo ID, usually a drivers license, if over age 16).

A passport is not any more simple -- it just needs to be an official birth certificate issued by the state.

As you are the only name on the birth certificate, that should prove sole custody, BUT Murphy's Law does prevail. Please check with the cruise line for the real scoop on this pertaining to your itinerary. The only problem that I can see would be IF you needed to fly home early for any reason, the child would need a passport. Have a great cruise.:)

It is true that you could not fly home from a foreign country with only a birth certificate -- or, you could not do it quickly and easily. But do bear in mind that you are very unlikely to need to do that, and even if you wanted to return home early, you would have to wait until the ship reached the next island and would have to pay for a last-minute flight. Not many people are actually going to do that.

Skip the booklet, keep the records electronically, make it a small, easy to carry laminated card. It would be a step forward.

They've done this with Passport Cards and Enhanced Drivers Licenses (issued by 6 states), but of course neither may be used for international air- one still needs the Passport book for that. The Card or EDL may be used for land border crossings and closed loop and open jaw sailings within the WHTI.

actually the rule is simple. If you need a passport to travel, the child needs their own too. If you can get by on a driver's license and government issued birth certificate or its equivalent the child needs only that as well. What is an equivalent? An enhanced drivers license(state ID), a embassy issued report of live birth overseas etc. If there are special circumstances in your birth certificate that is another issue. As to what else you need to travel that is beyond the scope of this answer. BTW in order to get a passport both parents are required to appear absent special circumstances as well.

http://travel.state.gov/content/passports/english/passports/under-16.html

actually the rule is simple. If you need a passport to travel, the child needs their own too. If you can get by on a driver's license and government issued birth certificate or its equivalent the child needs only that as well. What is an equivalent? An enhanced drivers license(state ID), a embassy issued report of live birth overseas etc. If there are special circumstances in your birth certificate that is another issue. As to what else you need to travel that is beyond the scope of this answer. BTW in order to get a passport both parents are required to appear absent special circumstances as well.

http://travel.state.gov/content/passports/english/passports/under-16.html

Except a child under age 16 doesn't need a drivers license or other government-issued photo ID...he/she just needs the birth certificate (BTW, I realize you know that as you've taken your grandsons on numerous cruises using only their BC's, but you didn't word your reply clearly and I don't want anyone wondering about needing a photo ID such as a drivers license for a child.)

Edited by njhorseman

They've done this with Passport Cards and Enhanced Drivers Licenses (issued by 6 states), but of course neither may be used for international air- one still needs the Passport book for that. The Card or EDL may be used for land border crossings and closed loop and open jaw sailings within the WHTI.

Sparks, was a 6th state recently added? I know that Minnesota was recently added to Michigan, New York, Vermont and Washington but that's only 5 I know of.

For clarification, per CBP regs, there are a few instances where a passport or substitute document (e.g. EDL) is required for an adult but not for children under 16 who require only a BC. Open-loop cruises and land trips to Canada for example.

Edited by dwjoe