A good Lightweight compact umbrella

Lilystar

Does anyone have a recommendation on a brand of umbrella that is sturdy (ie. not the dollar store) but is really light and really compact? Trying to conserve both space and weight in my luggage for a 10 day trip to Europe. I will also be toting it around in port so I'm looking for small, lightweight but good quality. Thank you!!

I know you asked about umbrellas, but I'd suggest getting a good rain hat (I know, not necessarily very stylish). But it does leave your hands free for taking pictures!

Have a great trip. :)

Thanks for the tip, but then those pictures that my hands are free for would depict me in a rain hat. That's certainly not the way I want to remember my trip to Europe. ;)

The title of this thread reminds me of a sign in my barber shop. "Do not ask for a good, quick, inexpensive haircut. If it is good it can be neither quick or inexpensive. If it is quick, it cannot be very good or inexpensive. And if you want it inexpensive, it might be quick - but forget about good."

Even with umbrellas, you need to decide what quality is most important to you, and then be willing to compromise on the rest.

The title of this thread reminds me of a sign in my barber shop. "Do not ask for a good, quick, inexpensive haircut. If it is good it can be neither quick or inexpensive. If it is quick, it cannot be very good or inexpensive. And if you want it inexpensive, it might be quick - but forget about good."

Even with umbrellas, you need to decide what quality is most important to you, and then be willing to compromise on the rest.

I refuse to believe there isn't a "Good Compact Lightweight" umbrella out there. I didn't ask for it to be cheap. And I am not expecting it to be of golf course caliber on holding up in the wind. I'm looking for a decent traveler's umbrella, rather than a dollar store one.

Alternative suggestion, take your cheap umbrella or even no umbrella at all. If it rains and if your cheapie packs up on you (assuming you're in a city), there will be shops at every corner selling them.

Don't bring one at all? Yes and the minute I disembark the ship and it's pouring rain and can't even make it to a souvenir shop without getting totally drenched....that will make sense why? I actually had that happen to my mom, sister and I in Nassau last year. No umbrella meant we had to find a store selling umbrellas while it was downpouring. NEVER again.

I refuse to believe there isn't a "Good Compact Lightweight" umbrella out there. I didn't ask for it to be cheap. And I am not expecting it to be of golf course caliber on holding up in the wind. I'm looking for a decent traveler's umbrella, rather than a dollar store one.

The lighter the weight, the more likely the umbrella will be subject to be turned inside out in a strong wind. The more compact it is, the more likely it is to be small when opened - giving less protection.

You need to define what qualities will make it "decent".

DH and I both have goretex jackets with hoods that are lightweight and fold into a compact shape that we prefer to an umbrella. They are spendy - about $100 at a sporting goods store - but we have worn them many times over the years - you might want to consider that as an alternative.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

DH and I both have goretex jackets with hoods that are lightweight and fold into a compact shape that we prefer to an umbrella. They are spendy - about $100 at a sporting goods store - but we have worn them many times over the years - you might want to consider that as an alternative.

I agree. A good rain jacket with a hood is so much more practical. I hate umbrellas, especially in crowded port areas where they become downright dangerous. People never seem to watch where they are going with umbrellas and nearly put other people's eyes out.

I live in the Seattle area and never use an umbrella. Around here, we say they are only for tourists. :D

Another super lightweight umbrella brand is Totes

I've had good luck using Totes umbrellas for travel.

I like Burberry at home but wouldn't travel through Europe with that.

Don't bring one at all? Yes and the minute I disembark the ship and it's pouring rain and can't even make it to a souvenir shop without getting totally drenched....that will make sense why? I actually had that happen to my mom, sister and I in Nassau last year. No umbrella meant we had to find a store selling umbrellas while it was downpouring. NEVER again.

Sorry I spoke. Don't worry, I'll ignore you next time.

Wow!!!!! I thought water carriers were touchy: akin to smokers who have to deal with non-smokers (or is it vice versa?), or liquor smugglers, now I better add umbrella aficionados to my discuss-with-care list.

I know right??! LOL. And in answer to the other poster, yes, I would rather you ignore me if you're going to give me an answer like "don't worry about it". I didn't ask your opinion on whether I should bring an umbrella, I asked if anyone had recommendations of good ones they've used in the past. If I was one of those people who just threw caution to the wind and prayed it didn't rain, then I wouldn't be on these PLANNING boards to begin with.

It's just a matter of manners. You asked a question, I gave an answer, you thought the answer was unhelpful. Not a problem.

Some people would have just ignored the answer, and moved on. That IMO would have been normal good manners. If you don't like an answer, there are other options beside sneering.

If I were really concerned about what umbrella to buy, I would go to a site like amazon and read customer reviews. If I found one That sounded good, I would either buy it from amazon or see if I could find a store that carried it locally. We have had numerous folding umbrellas and I have not found a relationship between price and quality.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

• 2 weeks later...