Staggered loading in Galveston

I am traveling on RC Navigator of the Seas out of Galveston on June 22. I just received a message from RC that they want me to board after 2pm. Does anyone know if they are going to make me wait if I arrive early?

Thanks.

I am traveling on RC Navigator of the Seas out of Galveston on June 22. I just received a message from RC that they want me to board after 2pm. Does anyone know if they are going to make me wait if I arrive early?

Thanks.

are they maybe doing a deep clean for a noro problem?

How is the Navigator? I'm also in SATX area, about to take my first cruise on HAL to Alaska but thinking of looking at driving to Galveston vs flying.

are they maybe doing a deep clean for a noro problem?

How is the Navigator? I'm also in SATX area, about to take my first cruise on HAL to Alaska but thinking of looking at driving to Galveston vs flying.

No. They are just trying to board by deck to make it a little less hectic. We were just off the Navigator and embarkation and debarkation were the easiest ever. We also got the same email. No noro problem.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

You will not be held back if arriving early. The reason for the email is due to the fact the Galveston Port does not have a good waiting area. In fact until check-in and boarding begins you may have to wait outside.

Yes! I bring a small umbrella for shade in the Texas sun.

Thanks.

We usually arrive at the Galveston port around 10:30am; occasionally we have had to wait, but generally check in is fast and smooth and we are boarding by 11:15. One glitch that can slow things down is where the ship is coming from. Customs tends to do a more thorough search when the ship has been to Roatan and Belize, which slows debarkation and embarkation!

No. They are just trying to board by deck to make it a little less hectic. We were just off the Navigator and embarkation and debarkation were the easiest ever. We also got the same email. No noro problem.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

okay ..why? are the cabins ready at boarding?

I mean if they are then I *guess* I can sort of see the logic ..fewer people crowding elevators full of carry ons to unload. but if only the public spaces are accessible there is no need to board by deck...

we are moving to texas in about 6 weeks so Galveston is about to become our home port.. a SiL lives in Spring so we will be using her house as a free parking lot.

we are moving to texas in about 6 weeks so Galveston is about to become our home port.. a SiL lives in Spring so we will be using her house as a free parking lot.

Galveston is a great drive to port

Parked car across the street and was onboard within 30 minutes

Edited by jonbgd

I'm curious...why are they doing this in Galveston? Is there something inherently wrong with that port that makes this necessary? Are they doing this at other ports?

I'm curious...why are they doing this in Galveston? Is there something inherently wrong with that port that makes this necessary? Are they doing this at other ports?

Actually, we got the same email last year for our Radiance cruise. As we were traveling with other people who were on different decks we ignored the email. This year we cruised on the NOS on 5/25. Got to the port about 11:45, having a beer at the pub at 12:10. Very smooth.

The line to drive up and drop your bags is very long and moves at a snails pace. If you can park and drag all your bags with you no problem. We waited in the car line for 45 minutes. However after we dropped off our bags and parked we walked right on board. Very quick. Staggering the times people arrive at port really helps but no one will stop you if you ignore the call/ email. We will do it differently when we go back in September. It is wonderful though having a port to drive to. No liquids to worry about, packing is easier, less chance of losing luggage, no missing flights, no pound limit on bags, etc. Love it!

okay ..why? are the cabins ready at boarding?

I mean if they are then I *guess* I can sort of see the logic ..fewer people crowding elevators full of carry ons to unload. but if only the public spaces are accessible there is no need to board by deck...

Cabins open at 1pm.

We never arrive at the terminal before 12:45pm then just walk on with no lines anywhere.

The problem is two ships, Carnival Magic and Navigator, are both in on Sunday. People are trying to leave when others are arriving early, creating a traffic jam as well as porters being tied up with disembarking passengers and then trying to accommodate those arriving.

There are separate lanes, but no one seems to read signs to go to the correct terminal!

Drivers insist on stopping at the beginning of the terminal to discharge passengers then no one can get through to pick up discharging passengers.

It is just so much easier to board later in a more relaxed atmosphere.

My sister and I both sailed on 5/25 as well (can't believe that cruise is almost a month ago!!). I flew down from DFW are, sister picked me up at Hobby when I landed a bit after 11. The traffic on 45 as absolutely horrible!!! It was bumper to bumper, with cars going 10 miles per hour at times. The drive just about drove us crazy. However, when we finally arrived at the parking lot (at 1:15!!!) we were shuttled to the port, through the line, and onboard by 1:45. We could, of course, go to our cabin by then to drop things off. We've decided to get to the port a bit later from now on!!!

Barb