GI illness on Amsterdam now

gertiesmom

Not to cause a freak out, but we just got a letter delivered to our cabin stating that some guests have GI illness. They are taking measures to prevent it from getting worse. It doesnt say how many guests, but hopefully everyone will be okay.

Hope those infected recover quickly and think of others by remaining quarantined and when allowed out of their cabins, use the most meticulous personal hygiene habits.

You know the drill......... wash your hands, wash your hands, wash your hands and keep those hands away from your face. Don't touch your eyes, nose, mouth or ears.

Have a great cruise.

Agree with what Sail said.

We were on the Zuiderdam recently and experienced a similar outbreak. The ship's crew will do its part to help get the illness under control. They will be working very hard to clean handrails and the like, and will probably be serving you in the Lido. But the main thing is that people need to be very diligent as Sail mentioned.

Hope those infected recover quickly and think of others by remaining quarantined and when allowed out of their cabins, use the most meticulous personal hygiene habits.

You know the drill......... wash your hands, wash your hands, wash your hands and keep those hands away from your face. Don't touch your eyes, nose, mouth or ears.

Have a great cruise.

When we were in code red on Zuiderdam was talking to a woman probably in her mid eighties in the NL. She asked what she should or shouldn't do to stay safe. I told her a good rule was to never touch yourself anywhere above your waist unless you just washed your hands. She giggled, winked, and said "Ohhh..I have no problem with that" :)

Yes, we are onboard as well and have noticed lots of cleaning. Neptune Lounge is no longer self service, pools were closed for sometime and buffet was suspended tonight.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Thank you bellboys for posting. Let us know how things go! Is this a 7 or 14 day itinerary?

This cruise is a 7 day cruise. We board on Sunday, 6-22-14, for a 14 day cruise. We are wondering if boarding on Sunday will be delayed while they do a "deep" cleaning?

Edited by RAJKR74

This cruise is a 7 day cruise. We board on Sunday, 6-22-14, for a 14 day cruise. We are wondering if boarding on Sunday will be delayed while they do a "deep" cleaning?

I would bet that it will. I would plan on boarding after 2 pm. We were in many days of code red on Zuiderdam and never saw the buffet suspended.

There is definately a lot of cleaning going on. The sweet girl working in the neptunr lounge is probably tired of getting me cappuchinos! The staff is being extra cautious and we appreciate it very much!

There is definately a lot of cleaning going on. The sweet girl working in the neptunr lounge is probably tired of getting me cappuchinos! The staff is being extra cautious and we appreciate it very much!

Thanks for the up date. We are on board on Sunday. Did they declare a "Code Red"? or is the outbreak small enough to just do extra cleaning? We are wondering if they will do a "Deep Cleaning" on Sunday and delay our boarding?

Thanks for the update. Did the letter state that guests had a GI illness, or guests and crew? I am just wondering given the latest information from CDC that that vast majority of noro cases can be traced back to infected food workers. It will be interesting to see if this progresses and what is reported.

Thanks for the up date. We are on board on Sunday. Did they declare a "Code Red"? or is the outbreak small enough to just do extra cleaning? We are wondering if they will do a "Deep Cleaning" on Sunday and delay our boarding?

You should get an email between now and Saturday if there will be a delay. We got an email then a letter at the pier telling us that we could choose to not sail and receive a full refund or re-book for another date with no penalties

Closed pools, closed buffet, no self service in Neptune Lounge.........

that sure sounds like Code Red to me.

Ah, the old "must be a duck". :D

If salt, pepper, flowers, and bread are removed from tables it's code red.

Thanks for the update. Did the letter state that guests had a GI illness, or guests and crew? I am just wondering given the latest information from CDC that that vast majority of noro cases can be traced back to infected food workers. It will be interesting to see if this progresses and what is reported.

It would be unusual for there to be a reportable percentage of guests with GI illness and there be No crew. It is likely there are at least a few ill crew.

You should get an email between now and Saturday if there will be a delay. We got an email then a letter at the pier telling us that we could choose to not sail and receive a full refund or re-book for another date with no penalties

Ah...did not know that we might get an e-mail on any delay. Thanks.

Ah...did not know that we might get an e-mail on any delay. Thanks.

The Eurodam was late leaving HMC several years ago, we received an email the morning of departure informing us not to arrive at the port at the scheduled time due its late arrival in Fort Lauderdale.

Yeah, they have taken away all salt and pepper at the tables, no self serve anything. The hot tubs are closed as is the spa hot tubs, thermal suites, even the library is closed. Self serve laundry is also closed.

The Eurodam was late leaving HMC several years ago, we received an email the morning of departure informing us not to arrive at the port at the scheduled time due its late arrival in Fort Lauderdale.

I was on that Eurodam cruise that arrived back at Port Everglades around 12:30 - 1:00 P.M. after we left HMC hours late. We finally had to cut our anchor and leave it there. Anchor got caught on the bottom and try as Captain did, they could not free it.

Eurodam picked it up the following week when the ship returned to HMC. :)