FLL to NY for October cruise.....which airport?

susan bt

We will be flying FLL(Fort Lauderdale) to NY in October for a NE/Canada cruise.

Which airport would be best?

Tell me about ship transfers, shuttles and taxis and cost of each.

You have 3 choices. Newark, laguardia, and JFK. I would go with the best priced airport. There is a car service 777 that is fairly reasonable from all airports.

Agreed on the cheapest fare as long as there is a significant difference in price.

LaGuardia is closer and faster to get to the pier from LGA. (No set fare for NYC cabs - metered rates apply.)

Trips to and from JFK in metered cabs are a flat rate of $52.00 plus tolls.

If you choose Newark, be advised that the taxi fare to/from NYC will be the metered fare, plus a $17.50 surcharge, plus tolls in both directions.

I, too, think that there is not enough of a difference and you should pick whichever is cheapest. If prices are equal, I would personally go with Newark, which is probably an easier trip to and from the pier. Yes, cab fare is a little more expensive, but you can probably pre-book a NY-based car service for around $40 to $50 each way. I much prefer Newark to the other airports. My second choice would be JFK. I hate Laguardia, but will fly from there if the price is right.

You have 3 choices. Newark, laguardia, and JFK. I would go with the best priced airport. There is a car service 777 that is fairly reasonable from all airports.

I also recommend dial7 car service (dial7.com). Not only are their prices decent, but I have found them to be the most reliable. You can also usually get discount codes for them if you search the internet. I live in Manhattan and they are the only car service that I use.

Agreed on the cheapest fare as long as there is a significant difference in price.

LaGuardia is closer and faster to get to the pier from LGA. (No set fare for NYC cabs - metered rates apply.)

Trips to and from JFK in metered cabs are a flat rate of $52.00 plus tolls.

If you choose Newark, be advised that the taxi fare to/from NYC will be the metered fare, plus a $17.50 surcharge, plus tolls in both directions.

Only the taxi fare from NY City to EWR is computed according to the formula you listed, which is for NY City licensed taxis. NY City taxis can't pick up passengers at EWR so the formula is inapplicable going from EWR to NY.

The fare from EWR to NY City will be based on the rules for Elizabeth/Newark taxis. The taxi dispatcher at EWR will quote the fare.

The first consideration is the airfare and airline schedules. After that factor in the ground transportation.

Shortest trip and least expensive taxi or car service fare (About $40 plus tolls and tip) will be from LGA.

Taxi fare from JFK is fixed at $52.50 plus tolls and tip. Car service fares will be about the same...maybe a dollar or two less.

If you're flying into EWR you should book a car service. Fare should be about $50, plus tip...but tolls are much higher (close to $20) than the options from the other airports (which can actually be $0 under certain circumstances).

Try either Carmel http://www.carmellimo.com or Dial7 http://www.dial7.com for car service.

Only the taxi fare from NY City to EWR is computed according to the formula you listed, which is for NY City licensed taxis. NY City taxis can't pick up passengers at EWR so the formula is inapplicable going from EWR to NY.

The fare from EWR to NY City will be based on the rules for Elizabeth/Newark taxis. The taxi dispatcher at EWR will quote the fare.

This is true, my mistake.

The best thing to do is avoid NJ - fly into Laguardia - cheaper land transportation and closer to the pier.

Forget about jersey and just fly into LGA or JFK whichever is better priced and grab a cab or go to ground transportation.

Go for convenience once on land or of course if you want to save money you could always get to the subway from the airport and make your way to midtown but there is no convenient subway that will drop you close to the pier

Bear in mind that due to its runway configuration, LGA is subject to more delays than JFK or EWR. This should be factored into your decision-making process if you are flying in the day of the cruise.

Bear in mind that due to its runway configuration, LGA is subject to more delays than JFK or EWR. This should be factored into your decision-making process if you are flying in the day of the cruise.

There's a major runway reconstruction project underway at EWR, and delays there may be the worst of the 3 city airports while it's going on.

http://www.panynj.gov/airports/pdf/ewr_runway_4l-22r_project.pdf

There really isn't a simple & direct answer, as it depends on part, on which cruise port one is using to embark/disembark from, choice/preference for overnight hotel stay(s) as it's best to fly in one day or more ahead of the day of sailing, especially with plans for sightseeing/shopping, etc. - and, dates of travel. It's difficult to generalize without more specifics from OP.

However, among 3 major metro NYC airports, EWR is most delayed-prone with an overall 38% on-time performance & most hated by frequent flyers - it get worst due to weather, wind, rain & from heavy air traffic alone. Transportation costs to/from Cape Liberty as measured on a per mile/trip basis are the highest, IMO - savings in airfares are often reversed by ground expenses to hotels & ports, not to mention time & fewer options. AirTrain/Path schedules are less reliable on weekends. LGA is prone to delays as domesic carriers are flying smaller regional jets on short routes & connecting to/from hubs, with JFK doing the best often despite weather conditions, excluding those extreme & unusual ones.

Cross from NJ into NY by car service (preferred over taxi) & add $15 or more for tunnel/bridge toll, whereas going to NJ is toll-free (except via SI's VZ Bridge from Brooklyn to Bayonne) and possibly East River bridge/tunnel crossing of up to $7.50 for cash paying ($5.33 for EZ-Pass electronic toll)

Those flying with carry-ons & personal bag/backpacks only (as light travelers) and don't mind climbing stairs & riding escalators or elevators and doing ground transfers, good with directions & maps usually with opt for all options - whereas a family of 4 with children, luggages & stroller in tow often need or prefer something simple & easy, regardless of costs.

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks to all who replied to OP above. We have read all messages and have benefited from several of them. Please allow us to expand on the situation and ask for advice.

Rather than flying into the NYC area, we intend to drive from the Baltimore metropolitan area on the morning of our cruise. According to Mapquest, we should be able to go from our starting point to Newark International Airport (EWR) in about 2 hours and 50 minutes.

To save $$$ -- and to avoid driving in NYC (where we have never driven before) -- we wish to park in the EWR lot (allegedly $19/day), rather than at the Manhattan port (allegedly $35/day). This would add up to a savings of $224 (or $240) on parking during our 14-night cruise.

We wish to ask you this:

Approximately how much of that $224 (or $240), however, would be "gobbled up" by using a car service in both directions (as suggested above)?

Would you recommend that we follow our Newark plan (to save money and/or to avoid getting lost)? Or would you, for some reason, recommend that we park at the port? Would we have a third alternative that has not yet been mentioned?

Many thanks for your help.:D

Thanks to all who replied to OP above. We have read all messages and have benefited from several of them. Please allow us to expand on the situation and ask for advice.

Rather than flying into the NYC area, we intend to drive from the Baltimore metropolitan area on the morning of our cruise. According to Mapquest, we should be able to go from our starting point to Newark International Airport (EWR) in about 2 hours and 50 minutes.

To save $$$ -- and to avoid driving in NYC (where we have never driven before) -- we wish to park in the EWR lot (allegedly $19/day), rather than at the Manhattan port (allegedly $35/day). This would add up to a savings of $224 (or $240) on parking during our 14-night cruise.

We wish to ask you this:

Approximately how much of that $224 (or $240), however, would be "gobbled up" by using a car service in both directions (as suggested above)?

Would you recommend that we follow our Newark plan (to save money and/or to avoid getting lost)? Or would you, for some reason, recommend that we park at the port? Would we have a third alternative that has not yet been mentioned?

Many thanks for your help.:D

I would guess your plan would save you about $100. I'd never do it, though. I hate driving around Newark airport more than in the city, you have to take a shuttle from long term parking to the cabs (and then in reverse when you get back), and if you are nervous about driving in the city, take the GWB instead of a tunnel (but really, it's almost impossible to get lost in NYC).

If I may piggyback on the O.P's question, does NCL have transportation to the pier from any of those NY airports like MIA/FLL does? Thanks.

We just called NCL and were told that the airport only transfers to the Manhattan cruise port are those provided from LaGuardia. (There are no transfers from JFK nor from Newark.)

I would guess your plan would save you about $100. I'd never do it, though. I hate driving around Newark airport more than in the city, you have to take a shuttle from long term parking to the cabs (and then in reverse when you get back), and if you are nervous about driving in the city, take the GWB instead of a tunnel (but really, it's almost impossible to get lost in NYC).

While waiting for replies, we had the idea of visiting the Newark airport site to read about parking, shuttles, etc.. We then had the idea of phoning the airport to ask questions. The strong recommendation for getting from Newark airport to the Manhattan cruise port was to take either of two private (shuttle-bus/car) services -- "Super Shuttle" or "Go Airlink NYC." Each of these costs $21 in each direction (plus optional tip and possible charge for luggage handling?).

Anyway, if this adds up to $50, it would mean that parking in Newark would save about $180 over parking at the port -- not just $100. We would prefer this to trying to drive into NYC, even though it would require our use of a shuttle from the EWR parking lot to the airport terminal (something we're accustomed to in other cities). Still, we appreciate your effot to assist us.

Answers & options to this post, as others said, is well covered under East Coast board - :D Imperial ferry parking across the Hudson - all discussed @ above sub-forum.

If OP's primary objective is to save $$ while away for 14 nights, what about Amtrak to NY Penn Station and/or Mega Bus options. NCL also expanded its ground transport options by partnering with other providers in the NE region - servicing MD/DC/VA area as well.

If traveling light with carry-ons & backpacks only, then a series of Newark Airtrain, rails & taxis, etc. are fine for most - but, it still involved steps, escalators & elevators, and crowded NYC sidewalks, IMHO.

While waiting for replies, we had the idea of visiting the Newark airport site to read about parking, shuttles, etc.. We then had the idea of phoning the airport to ask questions. The strong recommendation for getting from Newark airport to the Manhattan cruise port was to take either of two private (shuttle-bus/car) services -- "Super Shuttle" or "Go Airlink NYC." Each of these costs $21 in each direction (plus optional tip and possible charge for luggage handling?).

Anyway, if this adds up to $50, it would mean that parking in Newark would save about $180 over parking at the port -- not just $100. We would prefer this to trying to drive into NYC, even though it would require our use of a shuttle from the EWR parking lot to the airport terminal (something we're accustomed to in other cities). Still, we appreciate your effot to assist us.

JG51 - can you provide some more details? What day of the week does your cruise leave? How many people are you? Any small children?

As someone else mentioned, I would not be looking at parking at Newark Airport. The airport is a spaghetti like mass of roads and it can be super confusing to find what you're looking for. GPS is notoriously bad in the area. I would be looking at parking at Port Imperial for $13-15 per day and taking the ferry across to Manhattan for $9 pp. Folks have commented that they have dropped off luggage at the ferry terminal entrance and then parked the car, so all you have to do is roll it onto the ferry. Once on the other side you can take an inexpensive cab ride up 12th Ave to the pier. The ferry also offers a free bus service which will get you closer to the pier and some people walk it with luggage.

For your budget calculations, the Manhattan Cruiseport parking charge is now $40/ day.

Edited by 138east

Just a related thought- there are many off airport paking facilities at EWR,

parking there is under $10.00. They'll take you to EWR. Then take the shuttle to the city. Reverse coming back and the parking facility will pick you up at EWR.

Just a related thought- there are many off airport paking facilities at EWR,

parking there is under $10.00. They'll take you to EWR. Then take the shuttle to the city. Reverse coming back and the parking facility will pick you up at EWR.

http://www.cheapairportparking.org/parking/index.php?airport=EWR&src=adwords&network=g&device=c&campaign=EWR-vv&adgroup=EWR-1&ad=26856142086&kw=newark%20airport%20long%20term%20parking%20rates&match=b&gclid=CjgKEAjwoJ-dBRDbjfKN7IzN0FsSJAAP0G_D28zjjF16H0Eg2D0ox8eInKP7Gsea0edMtzYIcV0iEPD_BwE

plus tax and most charge a fee as well to drive you to and from the airport.

I never have found one for under $10.00.

Also while LGA has the shortest runways it probably has more flights to/from Florida then anywhere else. BWI is almost the same as FLL in volume. Which is best?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_the_busiest_airports_in_the_United_States