Sydney BridgeClimb: History, Founder's Obsession, Secrets??

From the CBS-TV Morning News Tuesday, they have this headline: "Sydney Harbor Bridge obsession paves way for tourism business" on a wonderfully-interesting news segment done by their reporter about how the BridgeClimb came together to be a great activity in this wonderful Aussie city.

The story highlights Paul Cave, including his extensive -- and expensive -- collection of 4,000 bridge-related memorabilia and his work to make it come together for the Sydney Harbor Bridge Climb. This is an attraction Lonely Planet called one of the world's biggest adrenaline rushes. YES, it's great, having done this "adventure" earlier this year right before commencing our Sydney to Auckland cruise. This tour took Paul Cave ten years to figure out the environmental, historical and safety issues for being able to do this Bridge Climb.

Among other story highlights "Harnesses were specifically designed for the bridge climb. Even the protective suit was specially made to blend in with the bridge, so as not to distract drivers as you climb through its iron underbelly. Paul essentially leases the bridge from the Australian government. In exchange, he promised to use the tourist dollars to help pay for its upkeep. He gets about 200,000 climbers a year for a trip to the top. You get there by climbing more than 1,400 steps and ladders -- the same ones used by bridge workers themselves. Surprisingly, it's not strenuous unless you're afraid of heights. As we climb about 40 stories above the water, we reach what everyone comes for, and we're told everyone says about the same thing: 'Wow.' The view is unsurpassed. Add in the wind and the sound of the cars far below, you've got the making of a memory."

Great story and background. Lots of good details and background. Loved the video highlights that brought back alive this great experience for me personally. I rate this climb a can't miss experience!! So glad that I did it!! More details, ideas and lots of visuals from our Australia-NZ trip connected below with my reports.

Full CBS-TV story and video at:

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/paul-caves-sydney-harbor-bridge-climb/

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Back from doing a 14-day Celebrity Solstice, Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, Sydney to Auckland adventure on this ship and getting a big sampling for the wonders of "down under” before and after this cruise. Go to:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

for much more information and lots of wonderful pictures on these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at 62,121 views for this fun posting.

From the CBS-TV Morning News Tuesday, they have this headline: "Sydney Harbor Bridge obsession paves way for tourism business" on a wonderfully-interesting news segment done by their reporter about how the BridgeClimb came together to be a great activity in this wonderful Aussie city.

The story highlights Paul Cave, including his extensive -- and expensive -- collection of 4,000 bridge-related memorabilia and his work to make it come together for the Sydney Harbor Bridge Climb. This is an attraction Lonely Planet called one of the world's biggest adrenaline rushes. YES, it's great, having done this "adventure" earlier this year right before commencing our Sydney to Auckland cruise. This tour took Paul Cave ten years to figure out the environmental, historical and safety issues for being able to do this Bridge Climb.

Among other story highlights "Harnesses were specifically designed for the bridge climb. Even the protective suit was specially made to blend in with the bridge, so as not to distract drivers as you climb through its iron underbelly. Paul essentially leases the bridge from the Australian government. In exchange, he promised to use the tourist dollars to help pay for its upkeep. He gets about 200,000 climbers a year for a trip to the top. You get there by climbing more than 1,400 steps and ladders -- the same ones used by bridge workers themselves. Surprisingly, it's not strenuous unless you're afraid of heights. As we climb about 40 stories above the water, we reach what everyone comes for, and we're told everyone says about the same thing: 'Wow.' The view is unsurpassed. Add in the wind and the sound of the cars far below, you've got the making of a memory."

Great story and background. Lots of good details and background. Loved the video highlights that brought back alive this great experience for me personally. I rate this climb a can't miss experience!! So glad that I did it!! More details, ideas and lots of visuals from our Australia-NZ trip connected below with my reports.

Back from doing a 14-day Celebrity Solstice, Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, Sydney to Auckland adventure on this ship and getting a big sampling for the wonders of "down under” before and after this cruise. Go to:

for much more information and lots of wonderful pictures on these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at 62,121 views for this fun posting.

Thanks for posting, I for one, love this icon for Sydney and Australia. It is great to see when flying back into the country knowing you have arrived home.:D

One thing rarely mentioned is the Bridge Pylon. For those like me who abhor the idea of putting on harnesses and wanderin along a steel beam high above the ocean, then the Pylon is a great alternative. It is located in the southern pylon and access from the bridge road level walkway. You walk up inside the pylon past a series of exhibitions and reach the top where there is an outside viewing area. Its not quite as high as the Bridgeclimb but far less scary. You get virtually the same view and its far cheaper. Its also run by Bridgeclimb but they don't promote it much as they make more money from the Bridgeclimb.

One thing rarely mentioned is the Bridge Pylon. For those like me who abhor the idea of putting on harnesses and wanderin along a steel beam high above the ocean, then the Pylon is a great alternative. It is located in the southern pylon and access from the bridge road level walkway. You walk up inside the pylon past a series of exhibitions and reach the top where there is an outside viewing area. Its not quite as high as the Bridgeclimb but far less scary. You get virtually the same view and its far cheaper. Its also run by Bridgeclimb but they don't promote it much as they make more money from the Bridgeclimb.

Cheers, I didn't know you could still do the pylon. :D

When I was a kid you could travel all the way up from ground level. They had funny little amusement machines along the stairway. About two thirds of the way up there was a big room with a model railway exhibit and a cafe, and then at the very top you could climb through a manhole onto the roof where a family of white cats lived! It's not quite as eccentric now that Bridgeclimb run it.

When I was a kid you could travel all the way up from ground level. They had funny little amusement machines along the stairway. About two thirds of the way up there was a big room with a model railway exhibit and a cafe, and then at the very top you could climb through a manhole onto the roof where a family of white cats lived! It's not quite as eccentric now that Bridgeclimb run it.

I remember the model railway, but that was like 40 years ago.:D

Terry,

We are on the Solstice in December 21, 2014 that overnights in Sydney, departing December 22. We are thinking of doing the bridge climb on the 21st at 10:00 a.m. Do you remember what the latest time to check-in at the cruise ship, is 2:30 p.m. ok? Thanks for your help!

Terry,

We are on the Solstice in December 21, 2014 that overnights in Sydney, departing December 22. We are thinking of doing the bridge climb on the 21st at 10:00 a.m. Do you remember what the latest time to check-in at the cruise ship, is 2:30 p.m. ok? Thanks for your help!

It most likely varies depending on the port schedule, If you have sailaway for your cruise at 5pm I would suggest that you be at the OPT by 3.30pm. Muster is most likely at 4pm.:D

Thanks for the info on the pylon climb. We will be staying in The Rocks before our 16/3/15 Voyager OTS Sydney- NZ- Fremantle cruise. I don't like heights and feel that the pylon climb will be a good compromise (plus it is heaps cheaper !!)

Thanks for the info on the pylon climb. We will be staying in The Rocks before our 16/3/15 Voyager OTS Sydney- NZ- Fremantle cruise. I don't like heights and feel that the pylon climb will be a good compromise (plus it is heaps cheaper !!)

At $13 it sure is.

BTW, welcome to CC.:D

You can also just walk across the bridge at road level, free. The views are still good although the pedestrian walkway is only on the eastern side.

It's still on my bucket list :D

BTW have you finished your cruises for this year, Pushka, or do you still have one to go?

I'm going on an Eastern Med Cruise in 3 weeks time. :p. Venice, Dubrovnik, Corfu, Santorini, Kusadasi and Istanbul. This is the second one for me this year.

We leave for Dubai in 2 weeks.

Did you notice QM2 in the background? :p

Edited by Pushka
e

I think the Pylon Lookout on the south corner of the bridge is the better option. It gives you uninterrupted views of the entire city and you can take your own camera. It is often overlooked by many people. The other best thing about the bridge is scenic helicopter flights over it. Often helicopter flights to the bridge are cheaper than the actual bridge climb. I would not rule out doing the bridge climb but there certainly are other options that are not quite as well published that are better in my opinion.

I think the Pylon Lookout on the south corner of the bridge is the better option. It gives you uninterrupted views of the entire city and you can take your own camera. It is often overlooked by many people. The other best thing about the bridge is scenic helicopter flights over it. Often helicopter flights to the bridge are cheaper than the actual bridge climb. I would not rule out doing the bridge climb but there certainly are other options that are not quite as well published that are better in my opinion.

Good point about bringing your own camera.:D

You can also just walk across the bridge at road level, free. The views are still good although the pedestrian walkway is only on the eastern side.

How do you walk across at road level. What is the eastern side?

I'm going on an Eastern Med Cruise in 3 weeks time. :p. Venice, Dubrovnik, Corfu, Santorini, Kusadasi and Istanbul. This is the second one for me this year.

We leave for Dubai in 2 weeks.

Did you notice QM2 in the background? :p

I did indeed :D

I am sooo envious. Bon voyage. Have a wonderful trip. :)

Just under six months to go for me!

How do you walk across at road level. What is the eastern side?

The eastern side is the side overlooking the Opera House.

Probably the best thing to do, unless you want to walk across both ways, is to catch a train to Milsons Point. Take the Kirribilli exit from the station, I think it's to the left after you come down from the platform.

The stairs up to the bridge footpath are to your right as you exit the station.

BTW there are some good cafes at Kirribilli if you want a coffee or a meal before walking across the bridge.

At the city end of the bridge you can either go down to the Rocks, or up to cross the Cahill Expressway (recommended) and there is a lift at the far end of the Cahill that will take you down to Circular Quay.

The easiest way to go from the city end is to take that lift up to the Cahill Expressway and walk around from there.

The Pylon Lookout™ is located in the South East Pylon of the Sydney Harbour Bridge. Access is via the pedestrian pathway on the Eastern side of the Bridge from the city side (use the 'Bridge Stairs' in Cumberland Street, The Rocks). Or if you are coming from the North side use the steps near Milsons Point Railway Station.

Note: Entrance is not accessible from the base of the Pylon at Dawes Point Park.

Access from George Street: From George Street turn left into Argyle Street and climb up to Cumberland Street via the Argyle Stairs. Turn left and cross to the other side of Cumberland Street. Use the 'Bridge Stairs' to access the pedestrian pathway on the Eastern side of the Bridge.

Access from Macquarie Street: Access the pedestrian pathway along the Cahill Expressway from Macquarie Street via the stairs opposite the Royal Botanic Gardens.

Map.gif.636c0d0253266e533268a0c106995dcf.gif

1956913008_PylonEntranceMap.gif.8d2d8a9f5cb5367f803c274693dd7e5a.gif

Edited by MicCanberra

The Pylon Lookout™ is located in the South East Pylon of the Sydney Harbour Bridge. Access is via the pedestrian pathway on the Eastern side of the Bridge from the city side (use the 'Bridge Stairs' in Cumberland Street, The Rocks). Or if you are coming from the North side use the steps near Milsons Point Railway Station.

Note: Entrance is not accessible from the base of the Pylon at Dawes Point Park.

Access from George Street: From George Street turn left into Argyle Street and climb up to Cumberland Street via the Argyle Stairs. Turn left and cross to the other side of Cumberland Street. Use the 'Bridge Stairs' to access the pedestrian pathway on the Eastern side of the Bridge.

Access from Macquarie Street: Access the pedestrian pathway along the Cahill Expressway from Macquarie Street via the stairs opposite the Royal Botanic Gardens.

Thanks for everyone's help. Our kids can do the climb and we can do the walk!