Breakfast and Lunch in the MDR

denmarks

We love lunch in the MDR but most often the breakfast service in the MDR is WAY too slow for us.

If you tell your waiter when you order that you want quick service, you will get it.

If you say nothing, you will be served at the pace of the slowest eater with the most courses at the table.

If you tell your waiter when you order that you want quick service, you will get it.

If you say nothing, you will be served at the pace of the slowest eater with the most courses at the table.

Ask and you will receive.:D

We try to dine in the MDR for all our 3 meals as much as we can unless we have an excursion. The food quality at least in our mind is so much better in the MDR than Horizontal Court plus it is so much quieter and relaxed in MDR. Not only that we like to be pampered just like going to a nice restaurant with good service. We have had very good luck with great waiters in our past cruises in the MDR that they remember our preference especially in the evening (wine menu and premium red wine glasses). They anticipate what you need especially when it comes to replenishing your wine glass or more food without even asking. You simply can't get that in a buffet room.

When you go in the MDR for breakfast and to avoid long wait, ask for a smaller table for either 2 or 4 but no more than 6. Many times the host will put you in a large table for 8 to 10 people and the waiter won't come around to take your order until the whole table is seated. For us, we don't like to dine with a large group of people in the morning because there's too much chatting whereas a smaller group is fine. In the evening, we almost always ask for a table of two by the window (if available) in the same area that our waiter is stationed in so we can get continued good and consistent service.

If you like to be served and pampered, MDR is the way to go. Definitely our preference on all cruises. Occasionally we'll try the specialty dining but always pick Anytime dining option so we are not restricted on when we have to eat in the evening.

MDR breakfast menu gives three choices of omelets:

Plain

Mushroom

Ham & Cheese

At the Horizon Court stations, they prepare omelets to your order with ingredients you want. I suppose getting an omelet "my way" and some fruit that I choose and getting not having to commit an hour to breakfast always appealed to me more, especially on port intensive cruises. The one day we actually go to the MDR for breakfast is disembarkation day.

MDR breakfast menu gives three choices of omelets:

Plain

Mushroom

Ham & Cheese

At the Horizon Court stations, they prepare omelets to your order with ingredients you want. I suppose getting an omelet "my way" and some fruit that I choose and getting not having to commit an hour to breakfast always appealed to me more, especially on port intensive cruises. The one day we actually go to the MDR for breakfast is disembarkation day.

I like my omelet made with green pepper, mushroom, onion, tomatoe and cheese (combination of chedder and swiss) which is exactly the way they make it in the MDR when I ask for it. Also, wife has always gotten a nice mixed fruit plate when she asks. Usually breakfast takes 45 minutes or less for us in the MDR when we eat there. Unless it is a port day we aren't in that much of a hurry because we are on vacation. :cool:

Edited by ar1950

Not sure if this is still true, but the hamburgers in the MDR were thicker and better than the ones they served at the Trident Grill.

That was true on our Ruby Princess cruise in March. Big, juicy and the best flavor. :cool:

I usually eat all meals in the MDR and I think it reduces the chance of getting Noro virus. I really don't like unwashed hands using the tongs and then placing them IN the food! YUK. :(

On sea days and on days with no early excursion, and with only one Princess cruise so far, we always visited the MDR for breakfast. Peaceful. No crowd. Sanitary. Great service and food. On our upcoming Ruby, we have early excursions, so will likely order room service. Sea day? MDR. Pleasant, no rush, elegant. It's yet another part of the cruise experience we enjoy. On the Ruby, will also be trying out the International Cafe and Crown Grill. On our other cruise, we were in the Horizon Court only once or twice.

On sea days and on days with no early excursion, and with only one Princess cruise so far, we always visited the MDR for breakfast. Peaceful. No crowd. Sanitary. Great service and food. On our upcoming Ruby, we have early excursions, so will likely order room service. Sea day? MDR. Pleasant, no rush, elegant. It's yet another part of the cruise experience we enjoy. On the Ruby, will also be trying out the International Cafe and Crown Grill. On our other cruise, we were in the Horizon Court only once or twice.

Seems like we think alike. Port days are room service, Sea days are MDR. I find the Cafe to noisy and busy and avoid going there if there is a choice. I am on vacation and want to leave the huslte and bustle behind. When I do use the HC I always take extra special care to avoid touching things others have.:D

I like my omelet made with green pepper, mushroom, onion, tomatoe and cheese (combination of chedder and swiss) which is exactly the way they make it in the MDR when I ask for it. Also, wife has always gotten a nice mixed fruit plate when she asks. Usually breakfast takes 45 minutes or less for us in the MDR when we eat there. Unless it is a port day we aren't in that much of a hurry because we are on vacation. :cool:

I wonder why only plain, mushroom, and ham & cheese omelets are listed on the menu???????

I wonder why only plain, mushroom, and ham & cheese omelets are listed on the menu???????

My guess: if that is what is on the menu that is what most people will order (they won't be picky about their omelets like we are). :cool:

Oh, and btw, I have always found them to be made a little better in the MDR.

Edited by ar1950

My guess: if that is what is on the menu that is what most people will order (they won't be picky about their omelets like we are). :cool:

Oh, and btw, I have always found them to be made a little better in the MDR.

I am sure you can order whatever omelet you want in the MDR as well.:D

I am sure you can order whatever omelet you want in the MDR as well.:D

No offense meant, but, that is what we have been discussing. And if you missed the last few posts, yes you can get whatever omelet that you want in the MDR. :cool:

1st cruise was to Alaska and a hectic time, learning about the ship, excursions and everything. We met ourselves coming and going! :p Got stuck in the rut of HC and couldn't seem to break it!

2nd cruise was back to Alaska and was more enjoyable but still a little hectic! Able to find time to dine in comfort at the MDR whether it was Breakfast, Lunch or Dinner.. Even found Sabatini's and Crown Grill as relaxing venues! :rolleyes:

3rd cruise was to Hawaii and everything was relaxed and very comfortable! To say we enjoyed ourselves eating at all of the various venues would be an understatement. ;)

4th cruise was Can/New England and way too many ports for us. Never do that hectic of a cruise again. We did however enjoy sitdown Breakfasts and HC Lite Lunches or a snack at the IC and then fantastic MDR/Specialty Dinners!:rolleyes:

Our next one is the Hawaii & Tahiti cruise, :D so no matter what life brings our way we will always take time to enjoy our cruises to the fullest!;)

I know what you mean. Our first cruise was a 17 day cruise thought the Panama Canal. We had 3 sea days from Vancouver and 5 more after LA. That gavels the time to appreciate all of the dining options available without any rush.

Now both me and my wife enjoy breakfast in the MDR and we play lunch by ear.

I don't drink wine, hate the stuff.

We take as many meal we can in the MDR. When disembarked the Grand we went down to the MDR, hardly anyone there. Talking with some one later I found out it was a zoo up at HC buffet. Go fiqure, fight the crowd at the HC buffet or have a nice peaceful breakfast in MDR.

Just don't waste to much time chatting at breakfast or all the seats will be taken at the pools.

We have never had any problem finding a lounge near the pool on almost 40 Princess cruises.

Edited by dorisis