Car Hire in Tauranga (NZ)

I have asked this question on my Roll Call, but thought I might also ask a wider group of knowledgeable folk.

I usually hire cars from Avis, but this is not practical in Mt Maunganui when we visit in December (AVIS office is at Tauranga Airport)

I have concerns on terms and conditions - especially in regard to deposits, cancellations, pre hire bonds and insurance excess.

Most of the alternative car hire places have comparable rates, but there are some differences in their terms and conditions, esp. in regard to the above matters.

Does anyone have any experiences or heads up they can share on this?

I regard myself as reasonably competent on these matters, but I am becoming frustrated by having to research all the "fine print" to find out some pretty basic information.

Cheers

Edited by Flipper133

I used Pegasus car hire last time I was in Tauranga. They were fantastic, met us at the boat and a short trip to the depot. Insurance excess is usually covered by your travel insurance, and when we missed the Port Chalmers stop due to bad weather, they refunded my credit card back the same day. Just send them an email to confirm that if the boat does not get into port they will refund your money.

I used Pegasus car hire last time I was in Tauranga. They were fantastic, met us at the boat and a short trip to the depot. Insurance excess is usually covered by your travel insurance, and when we missed the Port Chalmers stop due to bad weather, they refunded my credit card back the same day. Just send them an email to confirm that if the boat does not get into port they will refund your money.

Thanks for that,

Yup I have been in contact with Pegasus...they have insurance excess of NZ$2500 (their web site says $2850 but they acknowledge they have to fix that). Unlike most other places, they do not provide for a reduction in this for one day hires. :confused:

My travel insurance (with CGU via BUPA) allows for only A$2000 (=NZ$2200) for car hire excess. I guess I could contact them and see if I can increase this for a modest fee, or alternatively I think can take out a seperate cover somewhere for about $15 per day.

Pegasus say that they do not require a deposit.... but will require a CC impression for the full insurance excess ... which I am not happy about as I run a limited CC facility which is for my cruise onboard spending. This is what I am saying about how the various companies differ. AVIS and ACE do not require this (if you take out their Excess/CDW removal option).

These things do not matter unless you have an accident...but that's why we take out insurance, and I will not let a technicality spoil my holiday.

cheers

Tauranga airport is not far from the port, a very quick taxi ride. So you may still be able to use Avis if you liked.

Unfortunately the small company I've been using for years in NZ only operates out of Auckland, Wellington, Christchurch and Greymouth.

We have used Pegasus as well and they were very helpful. Although, they are not allowed to bring the cars to the dock anymore. Instead, they collect you at the pier and shuttle you back to their depot to collect the car, then drop you back at the dock at the end of the day.

We have used Pegasus as well and they were very helpful. Although, they are not allowed to bring the cars to the dock anymore. Instead, they collect you at the pier and shuttle you back to their depot to collect the car, then drop you back at the dock at the end of the day.

Last November the cars were not parked on the wharf, but were immediately outside the gate to the wharf. We didn't have to go back to their office. At the end of the day we left the key with the security man at the gate to the wharf.

For a one day hire pay the extra per diem premium to reduce the excess to zero. It will cost you between $15 - $20. This small sum in the event of an incident will mean that you drop off the vehicle and walk away no problems. The excess on your travel insurance is probably greater than the extra premium anyway. Had been hiring a car for a week or two then that's a different story as the premiums start to mount up but one day , not worth worrying about $20 for the piece of mind. In relation to the total cost of the holiday how does it rate. Two beers in a pub.

For a one day hire pay the extra per diem premium to reduce the excess to zero. It will cost you between $15 - $20. This small sum in the event of an incident will mean that you drop off the vehicle and walk away no problems. The excess on your travel insurance is probably greater than the extra premium anyway. Had been hiring a car for a week or two then that's a different story as the premiums start to mount up but one day , not worth worrying about $20 for the piece of mind. In relation to the total cost of the holiday how does it rate. Two beers in a pub.

I wish I could !

That's what I do with Avis and with Ace, but most of the Car Hire Coys on Tauranga/Mt Maunganui (apart from the majors) don't offer it. Certainly Pegasus and Pacific(same mob) have told me so.

Shore Trips and Tours offer a reduction to $250 for $25;

Avis (which only operates out of the airport) charges $12

Ace...who don't have an office there, but I am using in Auckland, offer a reduction to nil for $15pd with a minimum of 2 days.

I am totally against providing a Bond (via my CC) to cover the excess, and I will tell them so. Its not just the basic hire fee, its the extra insurance bits that can cause a problem, at least to me.

Subject to what ABC have to say, I will go with them, otherwise I will do a deal with good old AVIS and bear the cost of a cab and the extra charge from hiring from the airport.

cheers

Back in December 2010 we used Riteprice Rentals - http://www.ritepricecarrentals.co.nz/

We hired a van for the day and took 10 CCer's (Aussies, Americans and Canadians) on a day trip to Rotorua. Great to deal with and pricing was good. It was diesel and back then cost a total of $25 for diesel for the day! There was a bit of a bet going on how much the diesel would cost and our friends were astonished at how cheap it was.

The company do cars as well as vans of course and are competitively priced.

Last November the cars were not parked on the wharf, but were immediately outside the gate to the wharf. We didn't have to go back to their office. At the end of the day we left the key with the security man at the gate to the wharf.

That's good to hear as it was a little time consuming to get to their office. Years ago, they were allowed to park them on the dock, but something happened and they had to issue them from their office.

I wish I could !

That's what I do with Avis and with Ace, but most of the Car Hire Coys on Tauranga/Mt Maunganui (apart from the majors) don't offer it. Certainly Pegasus and Pacific(same mob) have told me so.

Shore Trips and Tours offer a reduction to $250 for $25;

Avis (which only operates out of the airport) charges $12

Ace...who don't have an office there, but I am using in Auckland, offer a reduction to nil for $15pd with a minimum of 2 days.

I am totally against providing a Bond (via my CC) to cover the excess, and I will tell them so. Its not just the basic hire fee, its the extra insurance bits that can cause a problem, at least to me.

Subject to what ABC have to say, I will go with them, otherwise I will do a deal with good old AVIS and bear the cost of a cab and the extra charge from hiring from the airport.

cheers

That is interesting regarding Pegasus excesses. Below is an extract from their website regarding insurance

Insurance

For drivers 25 years and over, the insurance excess* is from NZ $1,000 + GST. Specialty vehicles may be subject to a higher excess*. This excess may be reduced at the Manager's discretion. (Please enquire on booking)
A single vehicle accident will be subject to an excess* from $2,000 + GST. Single vehicle excesses are non-reducible. Windscreen insurance may be available (please enquire on booking).
*Insurance excess and driver age subject to change. Please check with your hiring location. Excess and driver age may vary depending on pickup location and vehicle type.

Makes it very hard to try and compare apples with apples when the insurance excesses can change on the whim of a manager on the day. This is not a great way to do business.

I have spoken with the taxi company and the fare from the Port to the airport is between $10 - $15.

Hope that helps. Go with Avis if the rates are right

Edited by Beanb41

Thanks for all your replies.

I have just about driven myself around the twist on this...but one thing seems certain...many people just hire a car based on price/convenience and just let their insurance (travel or CC) look after the excess. It seems that no one has actually had to make a claim, and the way I see it, is that any claim for damage has to be paid by the hirer then and there (up to the excess limit) and he is then responsible for claiming off his insurance. Could be out of pocket for some time.

I believe I have found a solution however...or at least a compromise.

I have been checking some of the other majors, and some like Europcar and Thrifty have a depot near the airport...but not in the precinct that attracts the added airport location charge (up to $50).

Thrifty seemed to have good prices (Corolla for $82 less 10% for RACQ/NRMA members) ... and allowed a full excess reduction for about $30/day... so I can hire a reasonably sized car for about $105 + taxi fares.

Then I found on their site (not yet heavily promoted) that they now offer a free shuttle for cruise ship passengers. YEH....that's what I have been looking for.

Awaiting formal quote from Thrifty....worth all the research

BTW....ABC came back to me and advised that they don't offer excess reduction for a single days hire....seems weird to me if they are chasing the cruise ship business.

cheers

Edited by Flipper133

Thanks for all your replies.

I have just about driven myself around the twist on this...but one thing seems certain...many people just hire a car based on price/convenience and just let their insurance (travel or CC) look after the excess. It seems that no one has actually had to make a claim, and the way I see it, is that any claim for damage has to be paid by the hirer then and there (up to the excess limit) and he is then responsible for claiming off his insurance. Could be out of pocket for some time.

I believe I have found a solution however...or at least a compromise.

I have been checking some of the other majors, and some like Europcar and Thrifty have a depot near the airport...but not in the precinct that attracts the added airport location charge (up to $50).

Thrifty seemed to have good prices (Corolla for $82 less 10% for RACQ/NRMA members) ... and allowed a full excess reduction for about $30/day... so I can hire a reasonably sized car for about $105 + taxi fares.

Then I found on their site (not yet heavily promoted) that they now offer a free shuttle for cruise ship passengers. YEH....that's what I have been looking for.

Awaiting formal quote from Thrifty....worth all the research

BTW....ABC came back to me and advised that they don't offer excess reduction for a single days hire....seems weird to me if they are chasing the cruise ship business.

cheers

Thrifty seems to be ideal option. $100 for a day out is a cheap option