Mendenhall and Nugget Falls?

Hard-habit-to-break

Hi

I keep seeing a picture of people who go out to Mendenhall Glacier and get really close to some falls. I assume that is Nugget Falls? Can you really get that close to the falls on your own or does it need to be as a tour group? I think I read that it takes about 40 mins to walk the track - does that go right up to the falls or from where people seem to take photos of? Have put a pic up of what I am talking about.

We are doing Tracy Arm in the morning (from the ship, not from Juneau) in September and we will be kinda tight for time when we get back to Juneau so not sure we will have time to get right to the falls, although I would love to try.

Thanks,

Kirrarne

197493.6670867.jpg

You can go right up to the falls...DH went closer than I did...I didn't want my camera all wet from spray. We didn't time how long it took us to walk, but it's an easy trail, only about 1.5 miles RT.

A fancy new trail to the falls was built 2-3 years ago - it used to be a rather tough cross-country route. It's not on the Mendenhall trail map yet, but just go along the path below the Visitor Center and you'll come to the junction where the Nugget Falls Trail goes off to the right. It's about 15-20 minutes to the falls.

Edited by huskyguy

It's mostly a paved path, I think. Or very easy to walk. It didn't take us long at all. The falls are huge. Yes, you can go right up to them and touch them if you want. Or stand where all those people are and feel the spray. Don't waste a lot of time on your hair that day. :D

Here are my surly teenagers at the falls in 2011.

226160_2298215692329_7486964_n.jpg

If you look behind them to the right, you can see a couple of people standing on rocks right at the edge of the falls. I'm pretty sure the kids could feel the spray from where they were standing, so those folks up close were probably getting wet standing there.

It's mostly a paved path, I think. Or very easy to walk. It didn't take us long at all. The falls are huge. Yes, you can go right up to them and touch them if you want. Or stand where all those people are and feel the spray. Don't waste a lot of time on your hair that day. :D

Nugget Falls trail is NOT paved at all. It is gravel.

Hi

I keep seeing a picture of people who go out to Mendenhall Glacier and get really close to some falls. I assume that is Nugget Falls? Can you really get that close to the falls on your own or does it need to be as a tour group? I think I read that it takes about 40 mins to walk the track - does that go right up to the falls or from where people seem to take photos of? Have put a pic up of what I am talking about.

We are doing Tracy Arm in the morning (from the ship, not from Juneau) in September and we will be kinda tight for time when we get back to Juneau so not sure we will have time to get right to the falls, although I would love to try.

Thanks,

Kirrarne

197493.6670867.jpg

Allow an hour round trip.

A fancy new trail to the falls was built 2-3 years ago - it used to be a rather tough cross-country route. It's not on the Mendenhall trail map yet, but just go along the path below the Visitor Center and you'll come to the junction where the Nugget Falls Trail goes off to the right. It's about 15-20 minutes to the falls.

Yep very true. :)

I'm one of those people who has walked up to the falls for years, prior to any nice trail. Used to walk along the lake, over rocks, lumber, into the water etc and a number of people always did it. :) Was worth the effort. Now simple and easy for many more to enjoy.

Allow an hour round trip.
I agree, if you want a nice, relaxed enjoyable walk out there and back without rushing.

It took me about an hour round trip, walking slowly, stopping along the way to look around and enjoy the scenery and take photos.

The Nugget Falls Trail is a combination of small gravels and an additive that creates a "hardened composite" turning out like a paved surface with all the thousands of visitors. An easy stroll along the 1.5 mile one-way trail. Trail ends near the falls and you walk down to the Mendenhall Lake shoreline and out on to the sand bar/beach area below the falls.........highly recommended!

Sorry, I stand corrected. I do remember that it wasn't a difficult walk, even with my bad knee. I don't know how it would be for wheelchairs or anything though.

It is not easy with a wheelchair and requires a strong "pusher".

A few other pixs of Nugget Falls

From across the lake

http://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/Giantfan13/new%20alaska/alaskamain333.jpg

Walking along by the Falls to the Glacier

http://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/Giantfan13/new%20alaska/alaskamain338.jpg

DW, up close and personal

http://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/Giantfan13/new%20alaska/alaskamain341.jpg

Cheers

Len

Edited by Giantfan13

Thank you for this information :) I've been trying to figure out whether I need to pay for a "tour", and it looks like we'll just pay $20 for the "blue bus" shuttle and explore at our leisure.

Thank you for this information :) I've been trying to figure out whether I need to pay for a "tour", and it looks like we'll just pay $20 for the "blue bus" shuttle and explore at our leisure.

The "tours" include much more than just Mendenhall, and can be great options for those of interest. It includes many highlights of downtown Juneau, that, if you haven't been before, you are likely to miss. Several stops depending on the tour, many times, Douglas Island, Chapel on the Lake etc.

What tour operator and how do we contact them? Sounds like a tour to do.

J.

I highly recommend MGT, Mighty Great Trips. They are a booking agent for many of the tours listed on their website, but they DO operate the Mendenhall Shuttle and tour buses. Should be good descriptions that will assist you in your choice.

Definitely do this hike! It's worth it. Our helicopter tour in Juneau got canceled a few weeks ago due to weather so we decided to take a shuttle out to the glacier and were pleasantly surprised by the amazing hike. You really get so close to the waterfall and glacier! It's beautiful!

Allow time to get to/from Mendenhall. I've read some people post they rented a car and it can be cheaper than the tours/shuttle from what I read. I do not recommend the shuttle that comes with the Mt. Robert's tram tickets (it's a white shuttle). It only runs every 30 minutes (ours was NOT on time) and becomes very crowded. I wish we would have rented a car to give us some flexibility.

Definitely do this hike! It's worth it. Our helicopter tour in Juneau got canceled a few weeks ago due to weather so we decided to take a shuttle out to the glacier and were pleasantly surprised by the amazing hike. You really get so close to the waterfall and glacier! It's beautiful!

Allow time to get to/from Mendenhall. I've read some people post they rented a car and it can be cheaper than the tours/shuttle from what I read. I do not recommend the shuttle that comes with the Mt. Robert's tram tickets (it's a white shuttle). It only runs every 30 minutes (ours was NOT on time) and becomes very crowded. I wish we would have rented a car to give us some flexibility.

I understand you don't recommend it, but what is the deal with the tramway ticket? Is the shuttle included or do you pay extra to includes the shuttle?

ALL the shuttles run every 30 minutes. Sure you can rent a car, but time is involved with that too. And first timers won't have the experience and will need to follow maps, signage, add walking to get the car, car paperwork, gassing up, turning car in etc etc. Adds just as much time.

ALL the shuttles run every 30 minutes. Sure you can rent a car, but time is involved with that too. And first timers won't have the experience and will need to follow maps, signage, add walking to get the car, car paperwork, gassing up, turning car in etc etc. Adds just as much time.

Thanks for the info Budget Queen. As we are going to be limited time (only getting to Juneau around 3ish after Tracy Arm) we are just going to hussle and get the bus and get out there asap. Will make sure we have phone numbers for Taxi's if we are going to be too late to get a bus back. Thanks for all the helpful advice everyone.

I understand you don't recommend it, but what is the deal with the tramway ticket? Is the shuttle included or do you pay extra to includes the shuttle?

It was extra. The tram was great and fun to do! Just the shuttle portion wasn't on time and it was a bit frustrating seeing all of the other shuttles running and picking people up while waiting for ours.

BudgetQueen- sorry I wasn't aware all of the shuttles ran at 30 min increments. It felt like others were running more frequently as we stood, and stood, and stood waiting for our shuttle hahaha :)

Yep very true. :)

I'm one of those people who has walked up to the falls for years, prior to any nice trail. Used to walk along the lake, over rocks, lumber, into the water etc and a number of people always did it. :) Was worth the effort. Now simple and easy for many more to enjoy.

so, one way shuttle, Visitor center, walk to the falls and back. Is it easy to purchase tickets one way back to Juneau? Can that be done in 5-6 hours?