Over $10K for a balcony holiday cruise??

califgary

The ship decorations alone are worth it:D We haven't done a Xmas cruise yet but I love the pictures people post of the ships in their Holiday finery!!

Yes, but the ship is decorated in early December so you DON'T have to pay the exorbitant prices that cruising over Christmas & New Years requires to see those decorations. We've cruised half a dozen times between Dec 10 & Dec 20 and the ships are always decorated.....:)

Basic economics is the issue. As long as Celebrity gets their ships filled at a higher price, expect prices to remain high or getter higher. When the demand for cruises decreases, then cruise fares will go down. In 2008 when the economy went south, many people did not travel. Lots of people lost jobs and investments. At the same time, cruise lines had already contracted for many new larger ships. With more cabins to fill and less people booking, the cruise fares went way down. I got some great deals in 2009-2012. Now, the economy has picked up. More people are now traveling. More demand for cruises. Prices are going up. There are fewer deals. If you see a deal or find an acceptable fare, book it. $10000 for a holiday cruise is expensive. If it bothers you, don't book it. Somebody else will. There is more demand during holiday periods.

If you do not like the price there are other cruise options and many other holiday vacation options.

We did not last year. We waited until November and got a great balcony deal on the 14 day Eclipse Christmas sailing. Might do the same this year and see what pops up. We are not married to a specific cruise line or vacation option.

Just a matter of supply and demand...like every other product or service that we buy.

Edited by iancal

If you do not like the price there are other cruise options and many other holiday vacation options.

We did not last year. We waited until November and got a great balcony deal on the 14 day Eclipse Christmas sailing. Might do the same this year and see what pops up. We are not married to a specific cruise line or vacation option.

Just a matter of supply and demand...like every other product or service that we buy.

Yup. We were on the Eclipse for the last two Christmas cruises. New Years was a separate cruise. We had a very enjoyable time both years, but there is no way we would book the same cruise for a third year in a row. The outrageous pricing makes the decision that much easier. I am tracking other cruise lines, as we are not married to X, though the Elite + benefits will be a bit hard to pass up. Or we will simply stay home this year, as we live in a town that has the absolute best Christmas season of any place in the USA. The downside is dragging out a 12 foot tree and decorating/undecorating it. :( I dread the thought.

If Celebrity can actually sucker people into paying for overpriced cabins, I say more power to them. It's the free marketplace and it's under attack, so go X!!!

Absolutely. We did four cruises in the Med over the past two years because the pricing was so attractive..and we had already planned to be in the area.

We opted for Thailand again this Jan/Feb. Looked at Hawaii, cruises, and a few other places. Thailand won by more than a few lengths based on our last year's trip. We could go for six weeks in Thailand or two weeks in Hawaii. And we will eat much healthier in Thailand.

Lots and lots of choices. Just pick one that suits your preferences and your budget. No use crying about something that you cannot change. Vote with your feet.

Edited by iancal

HI sorry yes I was referring to this year 2014. I guess people think that paying over $10K for 2 on a holiday cruise is worth it - I say go on 2 or 3 cruises at another time rather than pay those exorbitant prices - People must be booking otherewize I guess it wouldnt be that pricy - I guess that is a sign of the economy getting better if people can drop that kind of dough on a cruise -[/quote)

How many nights? 7, 10, 14? What ports?