Over $10K for a balcony holiday cruise??

califgary

Holy Cow! Looking at the holiday Caribbean cruises and balconies are over $10K for 2 people - what on EARTH would they be doing that would over double the cost of cabins on this trip? Are people that prone to pay these outrageous prices just to be on board during the holidays? Seriously why pay those outrageous prices when the cost goes down immediately before and after the holidays? Does Celebrity do anything special that makes paying over double worth it? wow.....

You do not say which year you are looking at but I am watching the 2015 Holiday cruises on Eclipse and Equinox because we would like to cruise at Christmas 2016. The pricing when the cruises were released were very interesting. Even allowing for the fact that Equinox cruise covers both Christmas and NYE, its prices were considerably higher than for Eclipse. [sorry, not watching balcony prices so I cannot give you a proper comparison.] Both cruises are selling better than the January 2016. The prices for Equinox have stayed the same since the cruises were released in March this year but Eclipse has increased in price twice since [by a total of almost 9.5%].

So, all I can say is that Celebrity are selling these cruises so they must be getting the pricing correct. We were on the Eclipse NYE cruise 2012/2013 and, if I remember correctly, if sailed full. Oh, and yes, it was a fantastic cruise which is why we are considering another holiday cruise as soon as family circumstances permit.

HI sorry yes I was referring to this year 2014. I guess people think that paying over $10K for 2 on a holiday cruise is worth it - I say go on 2 or 3 cruises at another time rather than pay those exorbitant prices - People must be booking otherewize I guess it wouldnt be that pricy - I guess that is a sign of the economy getting better if people can drop that kind of dough on a cruise -

HI sorry yes I was referring to this year 2014. I guess people think that paying over $10K for 2 on a holiday cruise is worth it - I say go on 2 or 3 cruises at another time rather than pay those exorbitant prices - People must be booking otherewize I guess it wouldnt be that pricy - I guess that is a sign of the economy getting better if people can drop that kind of dough on a cruise -

Don't know about 2015/2016, but I think that the 2014 holiday pricing is purely an example of supply-side economics. Back in November, when we booked the Eclipse Holiday cruise, the prices were quite reasonable -- especially for a cruise that included both Christmas and New Years'. However, even then, the ship was quickly filling up -- over a year in advance. I'm so glad we booked when we did. Since then, the folks on our roll call have watched in amazement as the prices steadily roise -- and categories completely sold out!

When our children were in school, we travelled over the Xmas holidays.

Hotels were overpriced, airfares were higher, restaurants were crowded. It was not ideal, but it was the only time we could go. Therein lies your answer. Many people can vacation only then. That's why the prices are so high.

Don't know about 2015/2016, but I think that the 2014 holiday pricing is purely an example of supply-side economics. Back in November, when we booked the Eclipse Holiday cruise, the prices were quite reasonable -- especially for a cruise that included both Christmas and New Years'. However, even then, the ship was quickly filling up -- over a year in advance. I'm so glad we booked when we did. Since then, the folks on our roll call have watched in amazement as the prices steadily roise -- and categories completely sold out!

There are only 8 2D & 2C cabins left and 2 AQ. 30 insides but they don't qualify for the 123

Our 2014 Silhouette New Year's sailing had a price drop today for some categories. Its still high though when compared to our cruises we have done at other times of year.

We have been watching prices on New Year's cruises for a couple of years now, and they are always priced really high compared to other dates. We finally got a group price on a Royal Caribbean cruise sailing from our home port of Tampa - we jumped on it!

Dave

Families take Holiday Cruises. It is the only week of the winter that US kids are out of school. The kids are off from Dec. 23-January 4, 2015, parents often take this week off too since Christmas Day and New Years are paid holidays. Personally I would avoid the Christmas cruises because there will be a ton of kids on board.

COMPLETELY agree with you....not only are holiday prices outrageously priced they are also packed FULL FULL FULL (which is why they get away with the high prices) and that's enough reason NOT to travel then...way too crowded for me.!:eek: We've cruised in early December up to a few days before Christmas...you still get to see the ship decked out in Christmas decorations and pay a LOT less, sometimes a third of what the next cruise is paying..and it's generally much less crowded......just not worth it to me to be on the ship for the holidays........

We are bargain-hunting cruisers and always try to get the best deal.

We booked the Eclipse 12/21/2014 cruise a very long time ago. I thought it was pretty $$ then!

They did have a sale and it came down 15% and I STILL thought it was too $$$.

Now, I'm glad we booked it when we did.

We have cruised over Christmas on the Eclipse and loved it.

We even loved all the kiddos on board, they made it more festive (we don't have any by choice, not big fans of kids usually).

But this cruise was special because it covered both major holidays.

That was the only reason we paid the price we did (which is less than half of what it is now).

Edited by Muushka

We are booked on the combined 2014 Christmas and New Year's cruise on the Eclipse. I made our reservation last year during the Give Thanks sale. At that time an S1 was going for a little under $8,000 for TWO people. The price today for an S2 is $9,499 PER PERSON.

I have been using another web site out there to track price changes & cabin availability for all veranda cabins on this cruise. Almost all of these cabins with balconies have more than doubled in price as time has gone by. Regular veranda cabins are now going for more than our S1 sold for last Thanksgiving. As all of these prices have escalated the demand for these cabins has not gone down at all. Rarely does a released cabin stay available for more than twenty four hours.

The web site I subscribe to automatically sends me an email message anytime a cabin becomes available, when a cabin type is no longer available and when a cabin type changes price either up or down. I think that =X= simply did market demand pricing for this unusual two holiday cruise as cabins opened up. This didn't surprise me. What did surprise me was how readily these newly released cabins sold despite astronomically high prices.

Given the high demand I doubt if we are going to see any substantial savings on balcony cabins from Celebrity. There may be some travel agencies out there that reserved a block of rooms that will sell them for some price lower than Celebrity direct.

Regardless of the pricing everyone out there enjoy that next cruise.

:):):)

I agree, the holiday cruises on Eclipse and Equinox are insanely priced!! I've never seen them that high before and they haven't budged since I started looking several months back.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I agree, the holiday cruises on Eclipse and Equinox are insanely priced!! I've never seen them that high before and they haven't budged since I started looking several months back.

Lately you can't watch, you have to book it if you want it. If it doesn't come down you can cancel. For the last 4 years, I await the rollout of the new itinerary's in the spring. We have a pretty good idea what we want to do next so as soon as it comes out we book. We have never seen prices fall below what we have paid originally. No Caribbean cruises though, we still are booking for itinerary.

You might want to book 2015 before it starts going up lol

Lately you can't watch, you have to book it if you want it. If it doesn't come down you can cancel. For the last 4 years, I await the rollout of the new itinerary's in the spring. We have a pretty good idea what we want to do next so as soon as it comes out we book. We have never seen prices fall below what we have paid originally. No Caribbean cruises though, we still are booking for itinerary.

That's why I love my Open Passages:D