Review MS Rotterdam Voyage of the Midnight Sun

HarR

Hi, the machines use US quarters, it is $2 for a wash and $1 for the dryer (45 minutes). They have the liquid soap dispenser as well that is free if you choose to use it, just push a button on the washing machine. You can easily get change at the front office.

Thanks for the review. The Norwegian Fjords are on our bucket list, and I am particularly glad to hear your impressions of the North Cape portion because I was not as attracted to that. I'll keep looking for an intensive fjords itinerary.

How did you enjoy the Lanai cabin other than the problems with work going on directly outside? The cabin pictures on HAL's website make those floor-to-ceiling windows seem much more attractive than the oceanview cabin windows. But I figure we wouldn't be able to keep the sliders open because of smoking on the promenade, so the lower price of an oceanview might be the better value.

But I figure we wouldn't be able to keep the sliders open because of smoking on the promenade, so the lower price of an oceanview might be the better value.

You can't leave the sliders open, not because of smoking, as it's no longer allowed out there, but because doing so cuts off the A/C to every other cabin on the same line. That includes the insides across the passageway, possibly outsides nearby, and other cabins on the same vertical line. These cabins then won't have any air movement.

We really enjoyed the Lanai. I might even prefer it over a balcony room. It was great to be be able to rush outside and shoot some pictures of the scenery late at night. You have "the largest balcony" you'll find on any ship. Only if you like to use your balcony for breakfast, the Lanai is not ideal for you. As Ruth said, smoking is not allowed on the LP deck, and I can confirm it was smoke free on our cruise. If this is very important to you, it would favor the Lanai over a balcony as your neighbors will be allowed to smoke there. The overhang with the lifeboats do make the Lanai a little darker inside than the usual balcony room. On the other side it tends to keep the loungers dry when it is raining.

All CA rooms are equally priced so you can pick one based on best location. They tend to sell out early.

Hope this info helps making your decision.

You can't leave the sliders open, not because of smoking, as it's no longer allowed out there, but because doing so cuts off the A/C to every other cabin on the same line. That includes the insides across the passageway, possibly outsides nearby, and other cabins on the same vertical line. These cabins then won't have any air movement.

We saw many people keeping their doors open, and I suppose many balcony room guests are doing the same.

We had a technician in our cabin reduce the airflow of the AC system in our room. I looked carefully how he did this, and adjusted it myself even a bit more after he had left. Nothing special. Apart from wasting energy and safety (in bad weather) I can't see this affect it other cabins.

There is a sign on the sliding door requesting you to keep the door closed though. But, so do most of the hotel rooms I've been in.

We saw many people keeping their doors open, and I suppose many balcony room guests are doing the same.

There are selfish people everywhere. And a few who can't read.:rolleyes:

We had a technician in our cabin reduce the airflow of the AC system in our room. I looked carefully how he did this, and adjusted it myself even a bit more after he had left. Nothing special. Apart from wasting energy and safety (in bad weather) I can't see this affect it other cabins.

There are people who work on the ships, and are in a position to know, who have posted on this board many times exactly what happens when sliders are left open.

Without getting into all the details now, the bottom line is that when the sliders are left open, the A/C to other cabins on the same line is cut off. :mad:

There is a sign on the sliding door requesting you to keep the door closed though. But, so do most of the hotel rooms I've been in.

The sign is there for a reason.

HarR, we are taking a Fjords cruise on Rotterdam in September and I was curious if the ship featured any or much Dutch food during dinners or even the Lido at lunch?

Also just curious what in your guess was the percentage of Dutch on board? I'm assuming quite high! We are excited. :)

Once we had a Dutch Tea. With lots of Dutch goodies. Nothing Dutch on the MDR menu.

For breakfast there was hagelslag. At lunch I saw some frikandellen. They served some bitterballen in the bar during wordlcup. Not sure if you could order these somewhere.

My estimate is about 75% of the passengers was Dutch.

Have a great cruise.

Once we had a Dutch Tea. With lots of Dutch goodies. Nothing Dutch on the MDR menu.

For breakfast there was hagelslag. At lunch I saw some frikandellen. They served some bitterballen in the bar during wordlcup. Not sure if you could order these somewhere.

My estimate is about 75% of the passengers was Dutch.

Have a great cruise.

Thank you; a bit disappointing the menu has no traditional Dutch items but they likely are happy to have alternatives for a week or more!

Was the duel language an issue at all, ie take too long for announcements or shows or anything?

Don't be disappointed. There's hardly any traditional Dutch dish that would be good enough to end up in a menu of restaurant of this level. We are not famous for our traditional cuisine.

I did not find the dual announcements annoying. The cruise director was extremely swift in switching back and forth. By breaking up everything in pieces you never had to sit out a long item in the other language. On top of that HAL doesn't do to many announcements anyway.

Don't be disappointed. There's hardly any traditional Dutch dish that would be good enough to end up in a menu of restaurant of this level. We are not famous for our traditional cuisine.

I did not find the dual announcements annoying. The cruise director was extremely swift in switching back and forth. By breaking up everything in pieces you never had to sit out a long item in the other language. On top of that HAL doesn't do to many announcements anyway.

Haha, you aren't the first to say that about the food. :)

Thanks again.