Matching Outfits - Cheesy, I know! Need ideas though

tmusgrave

My BFF recently lost her husband. To give them some respite, and time to find closure, she and I are taking her 2 children (10 & 13) on the Freedom of the Seas in October. We are a fun group - there's not a minute we are not together that we are not laughing. I thought it would be fun for us to dress up in crazy matching outfits on embarkation day. Anyone have any ideas? I need to get my creative juices going!

Thanks!

I'm sorry about your friend's husband.

You could go with a pirate theme. It could be slight (t-shirts) or more obvious, but still allow for individuality among the group.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Most 13 year old children would be mortified if they had to dress like their mother. Seriously, save the money and just give the kids a $10 OBC for something they would actually like verses throwing money down the toilet on matching outfits.

If you MUST be matchy/matchy then just pick a color family and stick with that (e.g., all wear red shirts)

Edited by nolatravelgirl

Most 13 year old children would be mortified if they had to dress like their mother. Seriously, save the money and just give the kids a $10 OBC for something they would actually like verses throwing money down the toilet on matching outfits.

If you MUST be matchy/matchy then just pick a color family and stick with that (e.g., all wear red shirts)

Since the 13 year old was all about it when I brought it up, your suggestion is not really helpful. Like I said, we are a fun group.:cool:

I'm sorry about your friend's husband.

You could go with a pirate theme. It could be slight (t-shirts) or more obvious, but still allow for individuality among the group.

Thank you for the condolences.

I thought about pirates....I feel like I am on the verge of something really fun and crazy, I just can't quite get there. Maybe Pirates and Princesses. Hmmmmmm

we lucked out and got matching summery sequined tops from Walmart. Different colors but same theme.

My neighbors also do tye dye.

Michaels and Hobby Lobby (hobby lobby has a much bigger selection) has iron ons in so many different themes. since it is EX you could do NY (is that where it leaves out of still?) or anchors. stuff like that.

Make it as fun and as cheesy as you want.

I know you mean well but your BFF just lost her husband & her children lost their father skip the outfits and just go on a cruise . As a good friend just be there . Shortly after I was widowed my sister mentioned a single's cruise I know she meant well but that was a really bad idea . It takes years to recover from a death .

Thank you for the condolences.

I thought about pirates....I feel like I am on the verge of something really fun and crazy, I just can't quite get there. Maybe Pirates and Princesses. Hmmmmmm

Or any "theme" really. Luau. Flamingos. Reggae. Under the sea. Gilligan's Island. Pirates and princesses could be fun!

You can really be as subtle or crazy as you want with any theme.

I would also suggest surprising them by decorating the door and/or cabin. I always bring fun glasses for towel animals too.

I can also see how something fun and crazy could be healing for them. Given that the OP knows the family and we don't, I'm deferring to their judgment and assuming that the idea has already been cleared.

Edited by Ehpride

If the children are really interested in wearing matching shirts get them involved with the design. Maybe have a dinner at your house with all of you and brainstorm what you all like and what you don't like. and especially color and style. It might be a fun evening for everyone and I am sure can all use one.

Since the 13 year old was all about it when I brought it up, your suggestion is not really helpful. Like I said, we are a fun group.:cool:

Sorry you are not getting the responses you wish. Since it was a recent death of the husband and father of the children, it is harder to make suggestions.

LuLu

I guess the Merry Widow would be inappropriate....

I would go with a color scheme - and maybe wild/crazy hats for the two adults. 13 year old's have annoying hormones and on the day of the cruise might not want to be a spectacle [they can be so unpredictable] Bless their hearts! But I agree getting them involved in the theme might be a draw to keeping them interested in costume sailing. Just don't embarrass them to the point that when they go to the kid club events they aren't targets :o

Although - if you have already raised your teens - you probably already know all this....

We seem to travel on cruises where there are interesting groups---

The group who wore tutus, tiaras and cowboy boots no matter the outfit.

A couple wore bunny ears the whole cruise.

Another group wore outfits derived from Alice in Wonderland characters

The same group, another year all wore bridesmaids dresses. Their leader wore a wedding gown.

There's always the Crazy Shirt idea.

Or any "theme" really. Luau. Flamingos. Reggae. Under the sea. Gilligan's Island. Pirates and princesses could be fun!

You can really be as subtle or crazy as you want with any theme.

I would also suggest surprising them by decorating the door and/or cabin. I always bring fun glasses for towel animals too.

I can also see how something fun and crazy could be healing for them. Given that the OP knows the family and we don't, I'm deferring to their judgment and assuming that the idea has already been cleared.

I think it's a fantastic idea from someone who went through a similar situation with my kids when they were 8 & 12. I didn't have a good friend like you who suggested a cruise but I did spend a lot of time planning day trips and doing zany activities just to keep us from drowning in despair. Another poster is right, it takes a LONG time to recover from a major death in the family. You know your friends, and if the kids are excited, go for it!

On a side note, tell your friend to Google "Comfort Zone". It's an awesome free weekend camp for kids who have lost a parent or closed loved one. My kids really enjoyed going and even wanted to go back the next year. We live on the East Coast but I think they also have them in California.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I think the pirates idea is really cool!

You could dress everyone up in black pants, red and white striped long sleeve tee and red and white wool bobble hat and do 'Where's Wally/Waldo" that would be TOO funny in the crowds! People will be saying "theres waldo again" omg, i'm cracking up just thinking about it.

My BFF recently lost her husband. To give them some respite, and time to find closure, she and I are taking her 2 children (10 & 13) on the Freedom of the Seas in October.

I have no suggestions, because this is not "fun" to me, but your friend is lucky to have your support. However, don't expect any kind of "closure" ever. You just learn to live with your "new normal" and keep putting one foot in front of the other.

Good luck, I hope the cruise goes well.

Everyone is different. Some people do find closure and move on because they know that's what their loved one that passed would want for them. That's how I got through my youngest brother's recent death. We had bought a spring break cruise to Mexico and were taking our DS's BFF with us. When my DB passed we didn't cancel the cruise but instead went on it for the sake of the DS and BFF who had been looking so forward to it. I know my DB would have wanted me to go as he loved to cruise as much as I do. So we went...it was scheduled for the Sunday after the Tuesday that he passed. I had been at the hospital for over two weeks before that hoping that he would pull through but it wasn't to be. While the cruise wasn't what I would say was the best one I had ever had...nonetheless being with the kids allowed me to enjoy myself. So, yeah, not everyone deals with the death of a loved one in the same way. I say the friend probably knows her BFF and the kids better than anyone here does and if she believes this is a good thing than I say go for it.

My suggestion would be to wear nautical themed items. Old Navy has a bunch of stuff along that line. I'm wearing, as I write this, a pair of navy flip flops that have a ship's steering wheel on it and a navy and white-striped, cotton sweatshirt that I bought there. Both inexpensive and very comfortable. Whatever theme you decide to go with...I wish you all an amazing cruise!:D

Having been through my sister losing her husband and leaving her with two children to raise-I think that whatever those kids are up for, then go for it! My sister was up for anything that would get her kid's minds off losing their daddy(putting her grief aside) and making them feel happy and normal! I wish I had been able to go on a cruise with them to help them have a great vacation away from home and memories, so I admire the friend for trying to plan fun things. Like the poster that said involve them in the ideas-that sounds perfect for a 10 and a 13 year old. I have seen all kinds of groups and outfits on trips and I love it-makes them stand out and most of the time get great responses from fellow cruisers!

What a good friend you are! When my kids were younger we always dressed the same for one day in Disney. People would actually stop us and we were put at the front of a lot of lines! I always had the kids help decide. A couple of times we tie dyed shirts---that way we were all the same colors yet not exactly the same. Another year they designed something which we turned into transfers and then put on shirts. Another time we all wore Hawaiian shirts. I think whatever you pick will be great and I hope it aids in their healing.

We seem to travel on cruises where there are interesting groups---

The group who wore tutus, tiaras and cowboy boots no matter the outfit.

A couple wore bunny ears the whole cruise.

Another group wore outfits derived from Alice in Wonderland characters

The same group, another year all wore bridesmaids dresses. Their leader wore a wedding gown.

There's always the Crazy Shirt idea.

LOL - I wanted to do tutu's! Both kids nixed that idea... :(

Working on my next idea...and it just may fly!

I think it's a fantastic idea from someone who went through a similar situation with my kids when they were 8 & 12. I didn't have a good friend like you who suggested a cruise but I did spend a lot of time planning day trips and doing zany activities just to keep us from drowning in despair. Another poster is right, it takes a LONG time to recover from a major death in the family. You know your friends, and if the kids are excited, go for it!

On a side note, tell your friend to Google "Comfort Zone". It's an awesome free weekend camp for kids who have lost a parent or closed loved one. My kids really enjoyed going and even wanted to go back the next year. We live on the East Coast but I think they also have them in California.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Thanks for the suggestion. I will definitely pass it along to her.

Thank you for the suggestions and a special thanks to those who understand that this is supposed to be a really fun time. If I thought it would be harmful in any way, we would not do it. I felt a little like I was being chastised for suggesting something like this.

I have come up with what I think is an AWESOME idea....now I have to convince the kids how awesome it is. That's going to be my challenge. All I am going to say is too bad we are going to the Caribbean instead of Hawaii!

Stay tuned! ;)

Thank you for the suggestions and a special thanks to those who understand that this is supposed to be a really fun time. If I thought it would be harmful in any way, we would not do it. I felt a little like I was being chastised for suggesting something like this.

I have come up with what I think is an AWESOME idea....now I have to convince the kids how awesome it is. That's going to be my challenge. All I am going to say is too bad we are going to the Caribbean instead of Hawaii!

Stay tuned! ;)

Sounds like fun!

I hope you all have a fantastic cruise and that it helps distract everyone from real life at least a bit :)