Adding Money to our account

I hope I explain this right. We have only cruised on Carnival, and as I had extra money, I would buy cruise cash (what they call it on Carnival) to add to my account. Basically, we would get onboard with that money already applied to our Sign and sail acccount.

Can I do that on Royal? Do they allow us to 'preload' it so to speak?

Yes, I am aware that I could save it, but this way it's guaranteed to be there.

Yes and yes, we always put on cash and keep our room bill down on sea pass card on a daily basis.

I'm so sorry, if I seem dense, but yes we can preload it? I don't necessarily mean once we get on board. For instance, we sail in January, could I call now and put on say a couple hundred?

Again, sorry if I seem clueless! :o

I'm so sorry, if I seem dense, but yes we can preload it? I don't necessarily mean once we get on board. For instance, we sail in January, could I call now and put on say a couple hundred?

Royal will gladly take your money before the cruise and load it on your account. Call 800-722-5443 and tell them you want to buy onboard credit for your cruise.

Edited by clarea

Would not think you can pre-load in advance, only once sea pass card is issued when checking in, then load it with as much as you desire:) but seems as. Bob just said you can. Interesting to know

Edited by PompeySailor

Yep, the # Bob gave is to RCIs Gifts and Gear department. All you have to do is tell them you want to prepurchase OBC. Give them your name, reservation # and they will charge it to your debit or credit card

Works like a charm and I actually love doing it this way now. I set my account up online as a cash account and the OBC shows up as a credit on day two of the cruise.

RCI will let you charge up to 500.00 per cabin on a 7 night cruise before asking you for any money.

If you do this, print off any invoice they email you so you can carry it on board just in case.

Our oldest son bought us some for our last cruise as a gift (he's so sweet!) and it was cool to get onboard and have it already on our account.

Thanks for the information and the number!

I hope I explain this right. We have only cruised on Carnival, and as I had extra money, I would buy cruise cash (what they call it on Carnival) to add to my account. Basically, we would get onboard with that money already applied to our Sign and sail acccount.

Can I do that on Royal? Do they allow us to 'preload' it so to speak?

Yes, I am aware that I could save it, but this way it's guaranteed to be there.

As your first reply already said, you can add cash to your account. But one thing worth noting. If you purchase excursions before your sail date, you have to use credit card, you cannot use your cruise credit for that. If you wait till you board you can apply the excursion to your onboard account.

Edited by BillOh
typo

As your first reply already said, you can add cash to your account. But one thing worth noting. If you purchase excursions before your sail date, you have to use credit card, you cannot use your cruise credit for that. If you wait till you board you can apply the excursion to your onboard account.

Thanks Bill! Carnival is the same way, so I figured as much. We are only on a five day going to Nassau and Cozumel, which we've been to a few times before, not even sure if we are going to do excursions through RCCL. Will probably just book on our own.

Xina143, another way of adding money to your Sea Pass, which we always do is visit the Pursers Desk on Embarkation. We leave money which we can keep our eye on, and if need be top it up. This way is so simple :D:D

Xina143, another way of adding money to your Sea Pass, which we always do is visit the Pursers Desk on Embarkation. We leave money which we can keep our eye on, and if need be top it up. This way is so simple :D:D

I figured we could do that, although I usually attach a credit card online, but I was also asking for Christmas. Our kids LOVE cruising with us and this is going to be their Christmas gift, my inlaws have bought Cruise Cash on CArnival as gifts for our boys before, and since this is right around Christmas, I figured this would be a fun gift and then the boys can purchase little things for themselves as well.

And even us, my husband's birthday is coming up and my mother and MIL asked if he might like a credit-we don't need anything, but they always like to get us token of their love...this way, we can get something fun on board, and it will be a nice remembrance of our parents and our cruise!

We would like to give our kids in separate cabins a fixed amount of money (less that $500) to spend but then let them add their own money so they could spend it as well on their seapass cards. I imagine that this could be done in advance of the cruise as a credit as explained above, and then arrange to have no additional amount charged, but could the kids bring their own cash and add it during the cruise?

And could each person's seapass card have it's own balance, or is it just done on a per-cabin basis?

Ive done that on all my cruises by the end we have some extra American money left and being from Canada I figure we mid as well pay down our tab even though we have a credit card on file.

We would like to give our kids in separate cabins a fixed amount of money (less that $500) to spend but then let them add their own money so they could spend it as well on their seapass cards. I imagine that this could be done in advance of the cruise as a credit as explained above, and then arrange to have no additional amount charged, but could the kids bring their own cash and add it during the cruise?

And could each person's seapass card have it's own balance, or is it just done on a per-cabin basis?

Each person's SeaPass card can have it's own account, and you can add cash anytime by going to Guest Services.

Each person's SeaPass card can have it's own account, and you can add cash anytime by going to Guest Services.

And in the unlikely event that kids don't spend all the money we give them, how would it be cashed-out at the end of the cruise - if I don't do it in person do I hope it gets mailed to me somewhere?

And in the unlikely event that kids don't spend all the money we give them, how would it be cashed-out at the end of the cruise - if I don't do it in person do I hope it gets mailed to me somewhere?

Normally you would go Guest Services on the last night of the cruise to get a refund. If the account is secured with a credit or debit card, then they would automatically refund any credit balance to that card. I don't know what they would do if you leave the ship with an outstanding credit on a pure cash account.

Edited by clarea

Tell you what: Send ME the money, and I'll hold onto it until January, then I'll load it onto your account right before you leave. You may have no desire to earn interest, but I'll happily do so! Heck, at least put it in a 6 month CD and earn a couple bucks. GIVING it away to Royal half a year before you go is nuts.

Normally you would go Guest Services on the last night of the cruise to get a refund. If the account is secured with a credit or debit card, then they would automatically refund any credit balance to that card. I don't know what they would do if you leave the ship with an outstanding credit on a pure cash account.

I think I'm getting an idea how to do it

- put a limit of (lets say $100) on each seapass card backed by a charge card (if that low a limit is allowed)

- allow the kids to bring their own cash to add to the account

- in case any cash balance is left, it will go back on the charge card, else the debit balance will be charged to the card

or just simply visit guest services on the last night to collect any extra cash for a pure cash account.

Too bad you can't do the above online in advance, or can you?

I think I'm getting an idea how to do it

- put a limit of (lets say $100) on each seapass card backed by a charge card (if that low a limit is allowed)

- allow the kids to bring their own cash to add to the account

- in case any cash balance is left, it will go back on the charge card, else the debit balance will be charged to the card

or just simply visit guest services on the last night to collect any extra cash for a pure cash account.

Too bad you can't do the above online in advance, or can you?

You can do all but the limit in advance. The limit must be done at Guest Services when you are onboard. Call 800-722-5443 to add funds to an account pre-cruise.

Edited by clarea