BVE Review San Francisco, Sat. June 14th

CA Dave

We wanted to preview the Star (and satisfy our withdrawal symptoms) before our August trip to AK. We wandered over to the ship after parking at 55 Francisco St garage across the street from Pier 35 ($15- week end special). Got to the door at about 10:15 and they asked us to come back at 10:30. People were everywhere, coming and going!

We were able to get inside at about 10:45 and boarded at about 11:15. They guide you through and we were unable to escape until about 11:30 after a quick orientation in the Theater.

On our own we wandered the decks as we pleased and just enjoyed the weather and the city views until lunch. I gotta say, if we had anyone with us new to cruising they would not have been impressed with the lunch service. Food was great but we had to ask for pretty much everything and the glass of wine didn't come until dessert! We would have preferred wine with lunch and coffee for dessert but coffee was never offered. They asked us to leave at 2:30 but we actually disembarked about 3. They didn't take our card as I heard they would.

All in all it was a fun day. We wandered Pier 39 and watched the ship leave at 4:15 until swallowed by the fog on the other side of the Golden Gate.

We are fortunate to live near the City that people from all over the world plan once in a lifetime vacations to visit.

I would do it again and I'm trying to get my daughters to do the BVE in August so we can board early.

BTW- the sign on the door also stated that check-in for the cruise would start at 1:00pm! I'm sorry I didn't monitor that but a worker working the check-in said yep, 1PM. There were a lot of people on board when we finished lunch at 1 so I think they started check-in sooner than 1pm. Horizon court was a madhouse by 2 so try the International Cafe, or Pizza or Burgers at the pool. They were way less crowded.

DZ

So nice that you got to board so early. I tried a BVE at San Pedro May 3rd and it was terrible. We did not get to board until nearly 1:00. The terminal was busting at the seams with too many people because of the hold-up. and there was no host, we were just told to go directly to lunch. No pictures (as had been advertised) Then had to be off by 3:00 because of muster starting up. Not the best day, very disappointed :( It seems BVE's can be quite inconsistent.

Edited by hpeabody

I had a similar experience recently on the Sapphire BVE. We didn't get the pictures and since we don't drink wine my husband ordered a coke. Our credit card was charged for the coke. I sent an email to customer relations explaining what happened, and asked that they credit us back for the coke. I got a call from them a few days later and the representative was very apologetic and offered a shipboard credit on our next cruise, because we didn't get the advertised pictures as well as the problem with the charge to our card. I was very impressed with their generous offer and excellent customer service.

We live near SF too. I have been trying to convince my daughter to do the BVE but she said she couldn't bear being on the ship and Not go on the cruise. She felt like it would be like dangling the prize in front of her face and then yanking it away :)

I have done the BVE several times in San Francisco and once we were aboard the ship we could join the tour or go on our own. I was never forced to join the tour. Sorry about the glitches in the dinning room as when I did it everything went fine. Probably an off day.

The last BVE on my Alaska Cruise on the Star, I was surprised when they delivered the photos in the MDR and even though we were on the cruise there was no charge for our photos.

The BVE is a great service that Princess offers.

Some of my friends liked it sooo much that they want to do it again in September on my Panama Canal Cruise.

Tom:)

We did the 10-day Alaska last year on the Grand out of SFO and took our son and daughter-in-law on board with us with the BVE. It was great for us as they live in the area and thus were our ride to/from the pier.

We were in a suite so all 4 of us priority boarded as first on around 11:30. Since we were on the CB the year before we knew the ship so we skipped the tour (no issues from the guide to do so), went to show them our suite, then had photos taken going into the MDR for a very tasty and relaxing lunch. The wine was served at the right time, all was great, there was no "second class treatment" given half of us weren't "real" passengers, and they brought our photos before we finished lunch.

Then we strolled the entire ship so they could see it and where we'd be the next 10 days. They were with us on board a total of 4 hours (disembarking around 3:30pm), we had a nice time together, and for the $80 the 4 of us couldn't have eaten at the Cheesecake Factory downtown.

I have heard BVE can be hit or miss depending on the port and/or ship but thankfully for us it was a hit.

Done BVE in SF twice and both times it was excellent. We did one just so we could buy more FCC and the other we took our son aboard as a thank you for driving us to SF. Getting to board early was a nice bonus.

Thank you for your BVE review. :) I thought the BVE lasted 4 hours?

You are at the mercy of customs, the port, the cruise line, etc as to when you can board. We were able to board at 11:15 and left about 3. We could have stayed on until about 3:30 maybe. The welcome letter asked us to leave at 2:30 and we didn't want to overstay our welcome.

We did get the photo; two actually, a small and a large.

dz

We, too, had about 4 hours. We all boarded at 11:30 and our son and wife left at 3:30 while my DW and I were forced to stay on to start our 10-day Alaska cruise... :- )

Why do bad things happen to good people?